• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Lizzie I dread waking up in the morning to hear the latest. We too are fed up with hearing about it but it's getting very very serious and some silly fools think it's all a joke. We are, not only in family, doing what we can to avoid contact with others. Our victims have now reached over 4000 and that's scary.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, radfordred said:

Met up with my normal gang of reprobates before & after the Forest match, they all agree this corona malarkey is a load of bollocks, lets catch it & get it over & done with, also proud white English brexiters so we must be right? :crazy:   

And spread it to others who in turn will spread in on. "That's the way to do it"  Good luck to you and  your reprobates. CV is NOT a load of 

" what ever you say" Personally I don't use that sort of language. But I see it's spreading rapidly in UK. So keep "wrapped up" and stay indoors. Remember CV isn't particular who gets it, it's not selective.

• Like 2

There are strong indications that the Cannes Film Festival and the Grand Prix (held towards the end of May on adjacent weeks) will be cancelled. This will be a big blow to the Riviera as these events (plus all the other tourism) brings most of the wealth of the Monaco and the coastal cities (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, St Tropez).

Our local Fête d'Oranger (mentioned before) at the Easter weekend is all but cancelled as are all the other events this year that attract tourists.

There isn't any abandonment of travel to and from the village so far but I can easily see that happening. It's fortunate, I suppose, that the village isn't on the way to anywhere so there is little or no through traffic. We could easily be "locked down" for a time without it making a lot of difference to our day to day lives - there are no supermarkets in the village but there is plenty of wine, plenty of things to eat (both plants and animals), a boulangerie/patisserie with good stocks of flour etc. So, with luck and fortune, everything will be OK.

• Like 2

Covid 19 - much to ponder, as ever. Lots of hysteria, mostly generated by the media making hay while the sun shines. The government says don't panic, and we head in droves for the supermarkets, who in turn are disingenuous with their support. They say that the government can help by easing drivers hours restrictions and removing the delivery curfews. As one supermarket spokesman said "its like Christmas" I'll bet.

The only beneficiaries are their tills.

The virus is flu like. Our problem is, no vaccine yet. But we do have, certainly in this country, a lot of facilities for testing and vaccine development.

In Nottingham alone there are dozens of individual research labs which are being turned to the virus - in the same way factories changed production during the war.

Basic hygiene is common sense, but needs reinforcing for a generation brought up to eat and discard food in the street, for dog walkers who don't clear up their pets mess and the rest of us who have lapsed with taking care with coughing and sneezing.

Off on my new acquisition, a Trek Marlin 5. Will mingle when necessary, and now I feel justified in wearing my daughter's Christmas present, a Darth Vader-like face mask - makes me look like an OAP mugger, though.

Did notice one item, a Radio 4 interview with a senior medical officer who said that, when the dust had settled, he would hope that the Chinese government would be vigorously pressed to explain why the epicentre of the outbreak occurred close to a military biological research centre.

I think the conspiracy theorist will exit the woodwork once again.

Hope all of you take care and keep safe

• Like 4

Julie is looking forward to fish in parsley sauce for tea. I took my eyes off the cat for five minutes.....Wonder how she will like the beans on toast?

• Talking of China...Went to Careco on Thursday to buy an electric tin opener, but the nice lady said sorry none in stock, as they had not arrived from China. This surprised me until she told me ALL their stock comes from there including walkers, scooters etc. Wonder if, when I bought 'er indoors a Rollator walker, China had exported CV at the same time?
5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Wahl are an American company with headquarters based in Sterling Illinois

Wahl acquired a German company that manufactured similar products in 1996

The company I worked for supplied tooling to them from Oz for use in their plants in the USA

correct just testing

22 minutes ago, Beekay said:

she told me ALL their stock comes from there

China produce over a quarter of all the manufactured goods in the world so it's no surprise really.

Just been shopping locally and the girls on the tills at a Heron were wearing latex gloves. Well done Heron trying to protect their staff as much as they can in a retail environment. Local ASDA last nite had no hand sanitiser or loo rolls, luckily didn’t want either.
I was going to see a friend next week, I usually travel there by bus. It is too far to walk and not far enough for a taxi, bit of a conundrum (spelling?) not sure whether to go or not. 
Sad to hear there have been two deaths caused by this virus. As you get to a certain age most of us have some sort of underlying health problem, it comes with the territory I suppose. 
I do agree the Chinese should be pressed on the origin of the virus, especially as, from what I understand, it came from the same region as SARS, although I could be wrong on that. But if so it makes you wonder what the h**l is going on there.

One last thought, I found it quite English (British if you must) that that in the midst of this crisis the family of the victim in Nottingham have been “asked” to self isolate. Let us hope that they will heed this polite request and that they all remain healthy.

Wow Mary.  Well done!!  You've managed to insult me and my hairdresser, and also query whether I'm racist .. all in one post. Maybe read a bit more carefully before going on the offensive?

7 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Do you have a problem with hairdresser's?

No.  I have a problem with three that I spoke to and many other people's 'cavalier' and misinformed attitude to a virus which is killing people.

If you wish to on the chair  that is full of hair  "then do" they will use the dryer  to get rid of the hair before sweeping up.

I'm talking about catching the blast from the dryer while they are drying someone next to me. It's not very pleasant or polite.

I see from you comments you go to a little sweaty betty's how qualified are they in ladies and gents styling,

I see from your comments that you are reading far too much into my comments and inferring things I didn't say. 'Sweaty Betty's' is insulting and inaccurate and you have no evidence to support this comment. I've been going to this Salon for 43 years. It was started by a neighbour and is now run by her daughter, though the Mum still does a couple of days a week. There have been various others there over the years and they are all either qualified, or students gaining experience.  The Mum is also a longtime friend as was her Mum before her.

On the other hand for how many times you visit the salon your money will not pay for a towel to be washed so yes get your own clippers,

I pay £7:50 for a dry cut which takes about 5 minutes.  Your comment about towels is wrong and uncalled for.

Oh by the way "Wahi" are a German make hope you have not  got a problem with them also.

As already pointed out. Wahl is now American owned. And no.. I'm not racist...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, oldphil said:

Did notice one item, a Radio 4 interview with a senior medical officer who said that, when the dust had settled, he would hope that the Chinese government would be vigorously pressed to explain why the epicentre of the outbreak occurred close to a military biological research centre.

I think the conspiracy theorist will exit the woodwork once again.

A very sensible and considered post Phil.

Regarding the bit above.  It's all very interesting.  The general blame has been laid on the Chinese habit of running pretty much unregulated 'wet' markets, where all sorts of live animals which would not normally meet, are kept in close proximity and it is assumed that the virus made the jump, possibly from one animal to another and then to humans.

However, it is I believe also the case that both SARS and Covid-19 emerged not far from a major Chinese 'research' facility.  If the virus did emerge from such a place, it might explain the early attempts by the authorities to silence whistleblowers, such as the unfortunate chap who died.

All speculation though and I suspect we'll never really know.

Note to self “Do not post late @ night, when had a few” full apologies all :( Just Googled Italy first I’d heard of it? 

A nearly sold out sweaty Rescue Rooms later for me :ninja: Hope they all washed their hands? 

I do wonder if worrying could also take a few out? Maybe where the saying “You'll w orry yourself to death” came from? Sadly no one gets out alive. 

• Like 6

And on a lighter note I've just been shoe shopping in Budapest. The sole on one of my shoes split so needed a new pair, where did I finish up?.... good old C&A that's where and yes it's the same company logo an all...

Just looked it up.  I never realised its origins ( Netherlands 1841) or that it is still very active all over the World.  Soomehow a long time back I picked up that C&A stood for Canadian and American.. so I had that wrong too.

It's all here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%26A

Coats n 'ats we called it and I also thought it Canadian American.

It just seemed so incongruous to suddenly see a shop I for so long associated with Nottingham  to be staring me in the face so far from home, a bit like the first time I saw Woolworths in Paphos

I remember a Woolworths in Cyprus, i think it was in Limasol though, if you went up to the top floor in the restaurant you could look over the border into the Turkish side.

Went into Mansfield early this morning,,,not quite Limasol,,or Nicosia or even Budapest,,although some of the accents i heard could have been Turkish or Greek or even from the land of the Magyars,,,not that i object to any of them,,just stating a fact.

Anyway i digress,,went looking for a couple of items of second hand furniture,,,but the store i knew had closed and stood empty,,,so thought i'd have breakfast,,but alas that had also closed and stood empty (Green Bottles)...So just finished up with a ''Mooch'' around,,so sad to see Mansfield so devoid of shops and people,,,even the Market stalls had diminished somewhat,,,was only a couple of years since that i frequented Mansfield on a regular basis...........Finished up in Huthwaite,,where i purchased a nice second hand bookcase and occasional table,,for the princely sum of £36.

43 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Wouldn’t that have been in Nicosia Waddo?  

You could be right Lizzie, it was a good few years ago, and we went to lots of places on Cyprus. Even got lost up in the Troodos mountains after following a sign that I thought took us back to base. Only to realise that it was a building company or something like that!!!

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Wow Mary.  Well done!!  You've managed to insult me and my hairdresser, and also query whether I'm racist .. all in one post. Maybe read a bit more carefully before going on the offensive?

No.  I have a problem with three that I spoke to and many other people's 'cavalier' and misinformed attitude to a virus which is killing people.

I'm talking about catching the blast from the dryer while they are drying someone next to me. It's not very pleasant or polite.

I see from your comments that you are reading far too much into my comments and inferring things I didn't say. 'Sweaty Betty's' is insulting and inaccurate and you have no evidence to support this comment. I've been going to this Salon for 43 years. It was started by a neighbour and is now run by her daughter, though the Mum still does a couple of days a week. There have been various others there over the years and they are all either qualified, or students gaining experience.  The Mum is also a longtime friend as was her Mum before her.

I pay £7:50 for a dry cut which takes about 5 minutes.  Your comment about towels is wrong and uncalled for.

As already pointed out. Wahl is now American owned. And no.. I'm not racist...

I'm sorry but if you must call hairdresser's  then "Sweaty Betty's " is a term we call one salon stylist it is an old Hairdressing saying, you say you get blasted by the dryer have you ever told them, or your stylist that they are blowing you out of the chair,? If it's students or juniors they need to be told. I see you pay £7 50 what comes out of your £7 50 is rent, wage's, rates, laundry, insurance, wear and tear, of the salon and more. We  are just getting over being paid low wages and having to make it up with tips (if any client give one) we do train your hairdresser/stylist if qualified would have had to learn, basic face shapes, PH of hair, composition of hair,  properties of hair, hair chemistry, (ph) what happens when you apply colour and permanent waving solution, how it works on the hair, hair and scalp disorders, and many more, plus how to shampoo what shampoo to use, cutting styling, reception now added customer service. plus much more. 

The only thing that  I will say sorry for is maybe making a comment about the clippers NO!  this was not suppose to be a racist remark.If you took that way then i will apologise. 

yours m