• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Asked my barber how much for a haircut,he said "£8.00" asked him how much for a shave, he said "£4.50" i told him to shave my head.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whose holding the towel and water bottle in your corner Mary1947 ? I'm bloody glad I'm not the referee between you and DJ., one of you might clonk me your curling tongs . :wacko:

'Er indoors has been cutting my hair now for about 14 years..... I think she'll have it finished one of these days.

Like it boys

I would always defend my trade when started in the trade we were paid peanuts, career advise at school used to say to girls who did not have much up there, oh, go into hairdressing which was an easy option. Of cause it was not you need a few brains up there to pass your training. Also when I started we were governed by The Wages Council which told us what wage we would get and when we could have a rise.Plus like every one else at the time we worked a 44 hour week, and did not get paid over time. Also the wages council told you when you could have your holidays, if you wanted 2 weeks holiday you could only have 2 saturdays in those weeks.  You all tips were mostly paid to stylist if you had a nice stylist she would share her tips with you. So having no Union to fight for us  because of the wages council  being in charge, so now they have gone and my trade is at last classed as a profession,  I will defend any salon who charges realist prices for what they do.

Quality you remember Quantity   is forgotten.

Sounds like Mary1947 was spoilt rotten as a student hairdresser. I don't know, these young lasses dint  know they were born. Next thing you know they would want meal breaks and sharpened scissors. When I were a lad, we used to cut hair with sharpened slate and pieces of string.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Sounds like Mary1947 was spoilt rotten as a student hairdresser. I don't know, these young lasses dint  know they were born. Next thing you know they would want meal breaks and sharpened scissors. When I were a lad, we used to cut hair with sharpened slate and pieces of string.  :rolleyes:

And a pudding basin?

Mary is right in the last post. It was hard work with very low wage. I was lucky as my bosses mother used to give me an extra 2/6. But I did have a good boss she paid for all my outings to hairdressing comps and hotel and updates on styling, coloring and perming in London. Also her husband had a riding school at Wollaton and I had free riding lessons. So think I was very lucky.

I only have my hair cut now , I stopped colouring it when I was having chemo. I had it cut very short on the advice of the oncologist and I've not gone back. I love the colour it's gone ( grey ) and pleased I don't have to have it blow dried anymore. I pay € 25 . I only go to hairdressers that have an excellent reputation. I've changed a few because after a while you get fed up or else they are always on their phones.  When she's cutting my hair she reminds me of Edward scissor hands, she's so quick but very prescise, going on instinct . It's lovely to just wash my hair and leave it to dry.

• Like 1

Pudding basins??? We couldn't afford pudding basins, it were a Tarantella tin.! As a little lad, I  used to go to a barber on Ilkeston road, opposite Bloomsgrove street. It cost about 9d.,till my mam heard about a bloke on Independent street, known as 'Tanner barber's. Trouble was, he only used hand operated clippers and not electric. It was a question of not cutting hair but more pulling it out ! OUCH!

• Like 1

On tonight's news, Nicola Zingaretti secretary of one of Italy's political parties has contracted CV. He is the brother of Luca Zingaretti of 

Salvo Montalbano fame. He was on tv today saying he felt fine but he and his family were in isolation. We all are now as the province of Asti is blocked from exiting and entering. Strange that , because just 2 minutes out of our village is another village that is in another province. Lots of people who work in this village live in the other village in Cuneo. Wonder what will happen as the roads are blocked.

Oh well.

6 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

a nice second hand bookcase and occasional table

If it's only a table occasionally.. what is it for the rest of the time? :blink:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I'm sorry but if you must call hairdresser's  then "Sweaty Betty's " is a term we call one salon stylist it is an old Hairdressing saying, you say you get blasted by the dryer have you ever told them, or your stylist that they are blowing you out of the chair,? If it's students or juniors they need to be told. I see you pay £7 50 what comes out of your £7 50 is rent, wage's, rates, laundry, insurance, wear and tear, of the salon and more. We  are just getting over being paid low wages and having to make it up with tips (if any client give one) we do train your hairdresser/stylist if qualified would have had to learn, basic face shapes, PH of hair, composition of hair,  properties of hair, hair chemistry, (ph) what happens when you apply colour and permanent waving solution, how it works on the hair, hair and scalp disorders, and many more, plus how to shampoo what shampoo to use, cutting styling, reception now added customer service. plus much more. 

The only thing that  I will say sorry for is maybe making a comment about the clippers NO!  this was not suppose to be a racist remark.If you took that way then i will apologise. 

yours m

Mary, all of my comments came about because I was frustrated at the three hairdressers' attitudes to CV. I wasn't having a go at hairdressers.

I'm quite aware of how business works and where costs are. I'm also aware of how people train.  I am a  qualified NVQ assessor too, (Advice and Guidance to Level III) as well as having worked with trainees in all sorts of occupations for 30 years when I was a Careers Adviser.

I pay what I'm asked to pay... plus a tip.  I don't set the prices.

For what it is worth, the woman who set up the Salon in question was a neighbour 40 + years ago when she was in her early 20s and I was in my late 20s. She was something of a famous local beauty and the daughter of a wealthy motor trader. On one famous occasion which I think i've mentioned here before.. I turned up for a cut on a very hot Thursday afternoon.  My neighbour and her assistant who was also very lovely, were both cutting hair dressed in bikinis.

I didn't complain.

A huge articulated wagon was crawling in traffic outside and the driver must have seen through the windows, because he pulled onto the pavement and came into the salon saying  "Give us a shampoo Luv.... It's hot as hell in that cab!!"   He was as bald as a coot.  We all just smiled and he got his shampoo.

Anyway, as I said.. her daughter is running things now and I'm not so impressed.  She is rarely ready to cut my hair when I arrive.  I arrive on time.  Yesterday she was almost 15 minutes late arriving at the Salon and then made sure she had a vape and made a couple of texts before she cut my hair.  I may look elsewhere when her Mum retires at the end of the month.  there's a perfectly good Salon a five minute walk away from my house.

Shall we declare a draw?  :)

5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I would always defend my trade

So would I.. but I wasn't attacking hairdressers.  Some of my best friends and more than a few relatives are hairdressers, including one neice and a brother and sister in law.

5 hours ago, mary1947 said:

career advise at school used to say to girls who did not have much up there, oh, go into hairdressing which was an easy option.

I always defend my trade too.. You might have heard that from a teacher.  You most certainly would not have heard it from me in my 30 years as a Careers Adviser holding a Degree and a Post Graduate Diploma in Career Guidance plus loads other Professional Qualifications... and anybody on my team would have been in for a serious talking to at the very least if they displayed such attitudes towards young people.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Pudding basins??? We couldn't afford pudding basins, it were a Tarantella tin.! As a little lad, I  used to go to a barber on Ilkeston road, opposite Bloomsgrove street. It cost about 9d.,till my mam heard about a bloke on Independent street, known as 'Tanner barber's. Trouble was, he only used hand operated clippers and not electric. It was a question of not cutting hair but more pulling it out ! OUCH!

When I was little, I used to get taken to a place on Boowul Main Street.  Somewhere on the left as you went towards the Market from the Adelphi.  The bloke was a vicious B****** and a bully.  He had a toy rubber hammer which he would hit you on the head with if he thought you weren't sitting still.  He might have thought it was funny.. but I didn't... and I always said to myself.. 'When I grow up I'm going to come in here and knock the Bleep Bleep out of you you Bleep'.

Sadly, he was long gone before I was big enough to get my own back.

Later, I used to get sent to Osborne's in Park Lane.. Basford.. near the junction with Brooklyn Rd.  1s 9d as I recall in the early 1960s.  He was a decent enough sort. Plenty of Eagle, and other comics to read while waiting. Sold fishing tackle too and once.. after a conversation about music.. he loaned me a Django Reinhardt LP.

IIRC, Ben said a relative of his lives in that building now.

DJ360 

I was also an NVQ.  Level 3 assessor and Salon owner,

So, yes lets call it a draw.

:Friends:

On 3/7/2020 at 5:51 AM, DJ360 said:

Last year I was out every evening on slug patrol and it took me weeks to find the worst culprit which was the biggest sodding slug I've ever seen. 

I took the shell off my racing snail yesterday to see if it would make it go faster, all it seemed to do was make it more sluggish.

• Like 1

When I lived at Snape Wood, I took a walk down to a barber shop on commercial road, (I believe there's one still there). Any road, as I sat in the chair, a young girl came in and asked they sold 'rubbers'? Barber replied, yes, which sort are you after? To which girl said "well he said he wants to be safe".,barber quipped, "In that case, tell him to wear two!!". Girl said OK and bought two and left. I were dumbfounded. Perfectly true, honest. B.

• Like 1