How's your day?

Thank you Stuart. I have just been outside and the sky is very clear, the ISS is still there glowing brightly, resembling a large star.  It appears to have moved further away, but not much. I thought it would move across the sky a bit faster but perhaps the angle i am viewing it from makes it appear static. So long as it's not aliens watching us i am OK.:)

Margie,I spoke to my daughter when it had quietened down and she was very emotional, she set me off as well. Tears of pride for the NHS. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Dark Angel said:

Carnie:.  Are you looking in roughly the direction of the setting sun? If so I think you are looking at Uranus.

My guess is that it’s Venus.  It’s very bright and has moved across the sky a little way.   The ISS can be seen occasionally, in a clear sky but can be seen positively moving.  

I’m wishing I could wake up from this bad dream, see my kids and grandkids again, go shopping without worry, make use of my bus pass, got to the local, go out for dinner, not have Coronavirus the main topic every time we turn the tv or radio on.  Now they’re telling us it could go on for several months and then re-emerge, and then keep coming back in the future.   To say I’m fed up is an understatement.  

• Like 4

I am afraid I couldn't tell you from my house which direction the sun sets in, but what ever it was, as Lizzie says, it was very bright and you couldn't see it moving, though it had gone from my view a after about one hour.

I did doubt it was the space station because  a few years ago I used to track it, and you could follow it moving in the sky. With this one tonight you couldn't do that, and it also seemed lower in the sky, but that could have been an illusion?

I looked out to the West last evening.  I saw a crescent Moon and a very bright star higher up which I took to be Venus.. which is not actually a star, but a planet.

I've seen the ISS a few times and it tends to move quite quickly across the sky going from horizon to horizon in a few minutes at most.

I did more gardening and pottering yesterday... taking advantage of the Sun.  Divided an old perennial Phlox, sorted out a couple of Clematis by top dressing their roots and tying in early shoots to new supports. Didn't get as much done as I'd like though.  Bit of a fretful day all in all.

The Elm Drive Massive was out in force applauding the NHS at 8:00pm.  The main point obviously is as stated.. to applaud NHS staff.  But it struck me that it's also working at a more basic level as a general collective show of unity and solidarity in hard times.

Reading of the trials and tribulations of Mercury Dancer, Den etc., makes me feel quite fortunate.. and I hpoe all are doing OK, but sadly anxiety doesn't work that way so a bad day is still a bad day.

As Tiny Tim said.. 'God Bless Us All... Everyone'

• Like 2

Who else spotted 'Nottstalgia's representative from last nights round of applause ?........on Midlands news just now .....lol

Excellent!! They and many other working folk trying to keep our world going deserve our praise.

As I naively aspire to some kind of balance I am thinking that there should be a co-ordinated boo/raspberry/thumbs down for those who spent a decade wantonly slashing the NHS budget for ideological reasons, closing hospitals, A&E units, maternity wards, and walk-in centres . Also  for demeaning and belittling overworked junior doctors, scrapping the NHS bursaries meaning new NHS nurses have to rack up tens of thousands in unpayable student debts; reducing over 10,000 NHS hospital beds and selling off £millions in NHS property to unscrupulous private developers.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Another view of the positive side of things......

We've had a spell of really nice weather the last few days and I realised that the blue skies were extremely blue and clear...and the reason is because there aren't any planes flying so there are no vapour trails. None of those wiggly white lines across the blue sky; it's all clear uninterrupted blue. That used to be very rare - or almost impossible.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

None of those wiggly white lines across the blue sky; it's all clear uninterrupted blue. That used to be very rare - or almost impossible.

Last time it happened was just after 9/11. That was when the scientists discovered global dimming, and there was a massive jump in the fluctuation in day/night temperatures.

Perhaps we will come to respect the planet a bit more when this is over.

NonnaB, are the reports correct? Is your neck of the woods coming out of this? and is it shifting southwards?

Either way, take care all

36 minutes ago, oldphil said:

Last time it happened was just after 9/11. That was when the scientists discovered global dimming, and there was a massive jump in the fluctuation in day/night temperatures.

Perhaps we will come to respect the planet a bit more when this is over.

I remember reading about the same thing after 9/11.   

There are also images showing how much pollution has dropped over China in the last few weeks.   https://theaseanpost.com/article/breath-fresh-air-pollution-china-drops

Aide Memoire to self: always read what I have typed before pressing send.

Carnie: apologies for giving you a bum steer, the light you saw was Venus, at the moment at the height of it's eight year cycle. I have no idea why I typed Uranus. A definite short circuit somewhere in my wiring.

I did read an article a few days ago about Uranus, but who knows? I don't.

12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Now they’re telling us it could go on for several months and then re-emerge, and then keep coming back in the future.   To say I’m fed up is an understatement.  

I read (the American CDC report), that it could move from pandemic to endemic, the same as flu, a while back and the virus may mutate and return time and again. Not a pleasant thought that like our flu jabs we can only develop a vaccine retrospectively which will offer little to no protection against any new strain.

On a different note I'm amazed at the little things we buy and use almost without thinking. We need a dozen small sundries that cannot be described as essential, but life gets tedious without them. Normally it's a quick nip to B&Q or Screwfix etc. but not any more.

So order online? No, I can't do that. I know we would receive our goods from Ebay or Amazon or some such. however it seems wrong to order from a remote warehouse  putting their staff at risk just because I'm bored and want something I can't go and buy locally.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oldphil, it's not really clear , we had a few days with fewer deaths and cases but yesterday it went up again. Today they are saying that although the cases and deaths have gone up the virus is "slowing down and we can see a light at the ends of a very dark tunnel" Hope they are right. 

Dont know if all of you are thinking the same as me but it seems that every country that develops this virus turns out to be worse than the one before. Meaning China then Italy , Spain, USA is now higher in cases than us.

Stay safe and stay at home.

Seem Boris is now a victim, Don't think much to him as a man but like anyone else with the virus I hope he recovers.

Ok, Ok and now for something completely different!!!!.....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Brew said:

Seem Boris is now a victim, Don't think much to him as a man but like anyone else with the virus I hope he recovers.

It seems that politicians, not only in UK but here as well take no notice of self distancing. They are too quick to give advice but don't  take it themselves. No wonder this thing is spreading so fast.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, jonab said:

Boris appears to have the "royal" mild version previously reserved for Charles and Albert of Monaco.

True jonab, but it's worth hanging on to a positive at this terrible time, the vast majority of those infected only get the 'royal' version. Thank God.

This morning saw our first trip outside the perimeter of our house since last Saturday, a short trip to the pharmacy for meds and Bingham Lidl for some essentials. All calm and pretty quiet but great to see everyone observing distancing and folk really friendly and smiley in this adversity.

Keep safe everyone.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Who else spotted 'Nottstalgia's representative from last nights round of applause ?........on Midlands news just now .....lol

Who was it Ben?  

I was pretty sure who it was when I made the comment,,thought the person i thought would confirm,,however they have been on and didn't. 

So looks good like I'm wrong,,would be wrong for me to openly guess,