How's your day?

1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

Sorry we are in isolation and lockdown:rulez: until may 3 rd.

When did your lockdown start nonna?  A friend in Seattle phoned us last night and he said they’ve been in lockdown since Feb 24th which I find amazing seeing as The US borders weren’t closed until 16th March, 9 hours before we were due to fly to Miami ........ 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Lizzie I think it was 10 march but quarantine was advised before then. we are just listening to Conte nothing new apart from libraries and book shops can open in may but don't know what date. schools need books. That date does seem a bit soon but who knows maybe Seattle has different views to Trumps. Probably being wiser too than Trump.

IT'S  NOT THE RIGHT THREAD BUT HERE GOES.....

"HAPPY EASTER TO ALL OUR READERS"

That's me done !

Yes but why is Easter a moveable "celebration"

Surely Jesus died on a particular day/date, so why is Easter related to the moon and can fall any time between March 22nd and April 25th.

This further reinforces my view that it has no credibility whatsoever

• Like 1

April 14 th book shops and libraries can open so can clothes shops for newborn and children's clothing. Let's wait for the next steps . We are still in lockdown being very careful.

• Like 1

So just enlighten me please, is Easter a celebration of Jesus or something to do with the celestial happening s? I just don't understand the change of dates!!

Christ was crucified on the Jewish Passover feast.  This feast always takes place on the full moon of the month this will vary year by year.  It is always passover though, and many calendars show the passover date.

Easter is generally believed to be a pagan feast for the goddess 'Ishtar'  believed to be anglicized to easter which was mostly a spring festival.

I prerer to call it Resurrection Sunday as I am not much interested in pagan so called goddesses.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Christ was crucified on the Jewish Passover feast.

If the above is correct and we know the age of JC when he was crucified then we should be able to calculate the exact date for Good Friday and therefore hold Easter on that date every year.

14 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Easter is linked to the Moon , vernal equinox  it was the only way of recording the actual time of the event.

Strange that we were able to come up with an exact date for his birth?

The date of birth of Jesus is not stated in the gospels or in any historical reference, but most theologians assume a year of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC. The historical evidence is too incomplete to allow a definitive dating, but the year is estimated through two different approaches—one by analyzing references to known historical events mentioned in the nativity accounts in the Gospels of Luke and Matthew, and the second by working backward from the estimation of the start of the ministry of Jesus. The day or season has been estimated by various methods, including the description of shepherds watching over their sheep.         Wikipedia

• Like 3

How's my day? Bloody useless!! Just wasted two hours of my life,trying to shop online for the first time. Trying to get a so called 'slot' is like pulling hen's teeth. Registered with Tesco and got a pageful of "unavailables, then empty slots for next Thursday. Put my dainty finger on a time which highlighted, so continue shopping. Over an hour choosing then to find I hadn't got a "slot". How are you supposed to know if you've done it right. After all, I pay me taxes and give to charity as well as buying pegs off gypsys. Yours truly, Furious of Tunbridge Wells !

1 hour ago, Brew said:

The date of birth of Jesus is not stated in the gospels or in any historical reference, but most theologians assume a year of birth between 6 BC and 4 BC.         Wikipedia

Pretty clear then, Jesus was born between 4 and 6 years before he was born.

I don't concern myself about dates in line with our present calendar from 2000 years ago.  (I can't remember what I did last week.  :biggrin: )

The fact is that the Bible does not give dates that align precisely with our dating system.  Passover was variable in the Jewish calendar because of it's alignment with the full moon of that month.  So we know when the crucifion and resurrection took place in that particular year.

Other, so called, Christian holidays, notably Christmas,  were largely instituted by the church of Rome.  In it's attempts to convert the pagans Rome often attempted to make a Christian holiday out of an existing pagan holiday, eg. Christmas, and halloween.  This is Biblically incorrect, but in line with Rome's emphasis on tradition.  The Bible does not instruct us to have big 'Christian' celebrations.  That is just human tradition.

The fact that we cannot put a finger on exact dates in our modern calendar does not mean everything the Bible does state is not true.  Even secular historians eg Josephus, make reference to the life of Christ.  Whether we choose to believe it or not is up to the individual.

• Like 1

Dammit I cracked - I jet washed the patio after lunch. I'm wet, dirty, my hands are tingling and now a voice from the gods has just informed me I missed a bit and can I do the windows whilst I'm about it...  Grrr   :angry:

• Like 3

Think I'm going to create a new game similar to 'Spot the ball'. Will call it " Hunt the delivery slot" !

Spent ages yesterday trying to find one. Four different stores. Who does one have to sleep with to get a slot?

There is a house just down the road from me where, virtually every day there is a supermarket delivery vehicle of some ilk.  Two people reside there and they both have cars, are quite capable of going to do their own shopping either in a vehicle or locally, on foot.

Maybe this is the reason why you can't get a slot, Beekay.  Other people hogging them all at a greater number than needed.  Such behaviour is most unlike the average member of homo sapiens, I know!  

Unfortunately Jill, this is what happens when you commit the ultimate sin, ' getting old'.  We've not seen a soul for 28 days now. Had a food delivery, courtesy of my lovely sister in law, up in Stapleford. 

Not heard a word from our manager/trustees of our complex. B.

Beekay, perhaps if you stopped any payments, they would soon be in touch. Usually works in restaurant s !!

As a break from wallpapering, I decided to take down and clean all the picture frames on my landing/stairs/hallway. Since I'm a keen genealogist, these all contain images of my relatives and ancestors. There are 45 frames in all. I'm not doing those in other rooms until a later date.

As I cleaned their faces and dusted them off, I thought about their lives. Spitfire pilot/bomber crew, dead at 25. Those in Army Uniform, WW1, killed in action aged anything from 19 to 27. 2 or 3 who escaped death on the front line, mown down by the 1918 flu epidemic. Great grandma Sarah, brain tumour aged 35. Great Uncle Albert, brain tumour, aged 15. Great Grandma Lucy, bore 12 children, lost 8 of them. Grandma Edith, ovarian cancer, aged 58. Great uncles and 2 grandads who survived WW1 but lived the rest of their lives with the nightmare of what they experienced and could never speak of.  Various children, died before they even started school.

Makes you think. Some people are resorting to violence because they've had to stay in with their family for most of the last four weeks. Some are fretting about loo rolls. Yes, it's serious but it will pass. This afternoon's activity put things in perspective, for me at least.

• Like 11