• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Another long day in the garden. Been taking up and re laying slabs to form a level base for the chicken coop. Can't carry a 3x2x2" slab anymore - have to 'walk' them. Must be getting old. OK with 2x2's though. The chicken coop project has led to more work than expected, including lifting turf and relaying it on grandsons garden next door. I am lucky having a good sized garden and can work outside and be no closer than 25 yards from the neighbours houses. Quite enjoying the good weather and the project. Sleeping like a log and happy.

• Like 1

Don't suppose the chickens will be bothered whether the coop is level or not PP. They'll scrat around on a hillside quite happily.

Save yer energy and lay 6 X 6in tiles mate, that way they're a lot light and yer can carry more.  :rolleyes:

I had a phone call today from my daughter-in-law my grandson's partner's gran had passed away, and to-day was the furneral. Now as she could not be there she ask me what to do, the furneral car would pass by her work place at 11-00." Should I go out and wave "    she ask what is the right thing to do,  so I said if it was me, "I would just wait for the car and bow my head" Thanks I feel better knowing I'm doing the right thing. 

It makes one wonder in the day and age what is the right thing to do, we all have our own way of doing things. I suppose you could wave a hankie as a token saying good by.

PS  Gran did pass away due to age not the virus.

9 hours ago, Beekay said:

Don't suppose the chickens will be bothered whether the coop is level or not PP. They'll scrat around on a hillside quite happily.

Save yer energy and lay 6 X 6in tiles mate, that way they're a lot light and yer can carry more.  :rolleyes:

Beekay- I am a precision engineer and my coop will be level - precisely level and square and my hens will lay precision eggs exactly in the centre of the precisely square nesting boxes......and the eggs will be precisely....... 

• Like 3

Wot they gonna do? Have a game of snooker on it? Rooster Ronnie versus Hurricane Hen ! Should be a good game, with PP being ref., to see there's no fowl play.  iknow

Beakcause he  doesn't know feather the eggs will roll away if it's not level. It's no yolk shelling out all that money then making a cock up...

• Upvote 1

Siddha, if yer gonna keep moving said coop why not dispense with it and just put net over the whole garden? They can then move where they like, in the confines of your property. Unless of course, you've got road runners !

@siddha  my dad was a poultry farmer  in the 1930s in North Notts.  He told us he had scratching coops which were sort of triangular prism shaped and they were moved regularly round the field.  I think the nesting sheds were on wheels.  He took many of the eggs to Leeds where he had an egg round.

When  I was little, we kept chickens in our garden.  There were 2 sheds, one at each end of a wire fenced rough area where the chickens roamed freely when the weather was good.  One shed was a scratching area with roosting poles in for when the weather was bad and the other had the nesting boxes in.  I remember throwing grain to them over the fence..

When we stopped having chickens, one of the sheds was cleaned out, curtains put at the window, a bit of carpet put on the floor and a little table and chair put in it... it was for me to play in with my friends.   Loved it!

• Like 3

My chicken coop will be a permanent feature that fits in with the rest of the garden. It will be incorporated within a wired pen aprox 12 x 6 feet. The mobile coops are the best for the hens well being, having fresh grass to peck on and no floor cleaning required, but my garden is not suited to one. 

Right, coffee break over, back to work.

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Just curious, why?

If you really have to do this then there is little point in doing ground preparation or any paving.

I was not clear.. sorry . I move my coop once a week.

I don't have to do so I know …………..but I like it.

I like the idea of netting the lot but I live right in the countryside where they run free the biggest threat is not cars on the quiet road but Mr. Fox  and these days anyone who feels hungry and cannot get food in supermarkets.

If I get time I will post a picture.

• Like 1

Talking of time Siddha, my neighbour has just had an email, advising him that his MRI scan scheduled for May 2099 has just been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances!!

Not a great day, as my Dad (Clive Johnson) passed away at 1030 this morning. Dad would have been known to some of the members on her and also some of the casual visitors as he worked for NCT from 1963 through to December 1976, when he left to take up a full-time position with the TGWU in Burton-on-Trent. He started as a conductor on the trolleybuses  at Bulweel depot and transferred to Bilborough depot once he passed his PSV test in 1966. Following our move to Clifton in September 1968, Dad continued at Bilborough depot, until the spring of 1969 when he was able to transfer to the spare rota at Parliament Street depot. In 1972 he becamce an OMO driver on the "Gordon Road" rota, which also included the West Bridgford services. Upon the re-opening of Trent Bridge depot in 1973, Dad moved to Trent Bridge as all the Bridgford services were opertaed from the re-opened depot. In 1974, Dad was elected Branch Secretary of the TGWU to work alongside the Branch Office, Harry Ball, at Parliament Street depot.

Dad was always active in the Union movement, not as some tub thumping left wing loony, as they were often labelled in the press and media of the time, but to foster his belief that the working man needed a voice, to ensure that safe and secure working practices were in place, and that at no prejudice could be brought to bear in any disciplinary proceedings taken against his colleagues.

Dad, I will miss you , but thank you for making me the man I am today.

I worked at Bilborough depot until 1967, so must have crossed paths with your dad DB.

Please accept my sincere condolences at your sad loss. I'll be thinking of you. Beekay.

Deepdene Boy, you have my sincerest condolences.  Sounds like your Dad was a real force for good both in his family and in the wider World.

You are right to be proud of him.