How's your day?

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCEMENT:

Superglue that is out of date will not sick plastic but retains an excellent ability to stick fingers!

Bored today so decided to make a sundial, as you do. To this end and in the best Blue Peter fashion I cut up a Lurpak tub for a gnomon, the top of a tub of fence paint for the dial and had the aforementioned Gorilla superglue to stick it all together then set about it.  Snorreasyyerno. 

Read instructions for calibrating on the internet but they just waffled on about Latitudes and angles 'n' stuff. Naturally in the truest  traditions of the intellectually challenged  I  ignored them. The sun still shone OK so the instructions can't have been that important and went ahead and suck the gnomon onto the lid - except I didn't. The glue was old and had jellified to the point where it refused to stick the plastic parts and instead elected to glue my fingers together - something it's very good at.

If anyone wants to buy a homemade sundial with an idiot attached please  feel free to make an offer...

• Like 6
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I've now got stuck with this image of Brew being stuck on top of a sundial, with his little legs dangling. Now we now know the sun really does shine out of his ***e. :jumping:

• Like 1

A gnomon is the pointy bit...

11 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Give up the sundials Brew, stick to something else instead.

Harsh Den... very harsh

• Like 1

Today is my mums 98 th birthday. We had a video call with her and it left me feeling very sad. We can't visit, we call the home often and I also write little notes. I don't know if she was feeling sad at us for not visiting or angry. She refuses to put her glasses on so she probably couldn't see us all and probably wondered who we were. We sent her a cake made by the local .pasticceria. So we couldn't see it before it was delivered. The nurse showed us quickly. It had to be a very simple one with fresh strawberries on top as the home won't allow cream, chocolate or any sort of filling..  She had a lot of greetings from locals here so I do hope that the nurses make her understand.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I always refer to a sundial. It gives me reassurance that my everyday watch which is powered by light and requires no batteries and gets two daily radio time signal updates from an atomic clock in Germany, is keeping good time. You can’t beat old technology!

Buy mine Phil, it's voice activated and will tell you the time on request, with a bonus feature it can tell you the time after dark!.. The downside is it will tend to whinge when it get hungry...      thumbsup

The keen watch people go for the expensive Swiss timepieces which have a mechanical movement but can never keep precise time. Additionally they require a service every few years at a cost of around £500. My Japanese watches, which are considerably cheaper,  keep time to the exact second and require no attention.I have never even changed the battery on my 10 year old Seiko. I do have a posh watch which I don't wear for fear of scratching! I have a collection of oldish wall clocks which I have restored but I've put most of them in store as they were becoming a pain to wind each week. I even put an electric movement into the old brass Smith's kitchen clock!

I put a spot light on my sundial, so as I could tell the time at night, but the damned thing stops at the same time until the sun gets up....

• Like 2

The Deputy's set their watches by the pit bottom sundial before going inbye...LOL

• Like 1

My father did watch repairs as a sideline in the post war years. He was an aircraft instrument  engineer in the RAF. There was a constant flow of watch repair customers beating a path to his door where he would also sell them eggs or whole birds from the fowls he kept in the garden!

Fabulous day today starting at 4.15 am  as it was getting light. Early start to go coarse fishing on our club water which is contained on a 100 acre site protected by a 10' fence. Only two others fishing - the nearest 100 yards away. After 20 min I hooked a pb tench of 9.5lb. Followed by two bream 10lb +. It was a glorious day and the insect and bird life were the best I have ever seen. Packed up at 3 and noted that the adjacent 20 acre trout lake (where I caught 9 on Sunday) was devoid of fishermen. Home for a shower and then drinks with friends at 2m+ on the village green opposite the pub. Life is good for some of us and I feel very privileged and lucky.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The keen watch people go for the expensive Swiss timepieces which have a mechanical movement but can never keep precise time. Additionally they require a service every few years at a cost of around £500.

I’m not a ‘keen watch person’ but I love my Patek Philippe watch and wear it most of the time, in fact I sleep wearing it and in normal times will only take it off when in the shower. Having said that, I’ve not worn a watch at all during the lockdown because each day drifts into the next and time seems to have no significance any more.  You’re absolutely right though Phil, the service cost plus a new battery every 3-ish years is very expensive.  But the advert does say that you never actually own a Patek, you just look after it for the next generation ....... that’s why I love my watch.  

I do admire the watchmaker's 'craft'.  My Grandad was something of an amateur watch repairer and my Dad collected pocket watches.  I have my Dad's 60 year old Seiko Sportsaman and my own 40 year old Seiko '5' self winder. 

I wouldn't have a Rolex as a gift, because I just don't like the styling and never have.  Good watches for sure but over priced and just not to my taste. 

My 'best' is a Rado Ceramica which came in about £1400.  Yes.. I know it's electronic.. but I bought it entirely for the style.. and the quality of the finish. My new 'daily' is an 80 quid Skagen which does the job.

My Dad had a beautiful solid silver wristwatch in his small collection.  I can't recall the make.  The case was a 'rounded square' and the watch was rammed full of Ruby bearings. I'd guess its age at 1930s.  I have no idea what happened to it.

I also have my Grandad's 45 year service watch from BR.  Apparently 45 years is worth more than lesser service span... not that I'll be selling it. The watches themselves aren't that special.  Timex.. in which the lovely chaps at BR specified a cheaper movement.. to save a few bob.  a good way to recognise decades of loyal service...:angry:

I hate 'dinner plate' sized watches with multiple dials.  Tat of the highest order..

All of three watches are 'pilot's' watches. I love all the knobs and dials. They're totally useless for flying though. For that I had a larger Breitling mechanical stop watch which fitted to my navigational chart board. I still use it for last minute bids on Ebay! My 'best' watch is an Omega Speedmaster Professional. Certified by NASA to be used on the moon. I've never flown that far though!

I've never seen the point in expensive watches. I consider a watch as a convenient device to indicate the time so, as long as it can do that reliably and fit comfortably on the wrist, that's all I require.

• Like 3

I had my most recent watch since 1984. Earlier this year the strap started playing up and I couldn't wear it properly, so I was planning to get it fixed but lockdown put a stop to that.

For the last 8 weeks I've not been wearing a watch at all; the longest period in my life where I can say that. And I haven't missed it.

Especially recently, time doesn't seem to matter so much and has all blurred into nothing specific. If I really want to know what time it is I look at my phone, or computer, or whatever else is around.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, jonab said:

I've never seen the point in expensive watches

There is no point. There is however pleasure to be derived from owning a fine timepiece and admiring it's aesthetic appeal.  Like phones and cars there are cheap and cheerful that will do the same job as those that cost far more - but would never sell if all we wanted was functionality.

philmayfield - touché :biggrin: but, I don't think a direct comparison can be made. A watch is a very private item whereas my residence is (generously) needed to accommodate four people and a dog plus any guests and visitors that come by (when they are permitted to do that).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jonab said:

I've never seen the point in expensive watches.

It's whatever floats your boat though, if you can afford it. I confess to having a penchant for watches, I just like quality instruments.

I've worn a Breitling for about twenty-five years and it still keeps perfect time. I did get it serviced at the factory about five years ago, not that it needed it but they also do a complete refurb and it came back looking like a brand new watch. I've got an early '70s Omega Speedmaster, I don't wear it much, they're fetching silly money these days. Rolex sports watches only go up too, my Submariner I bought new when I retired ten years ago, I see them advertised 2/3 times what I paid.   

The thing is it's all relative, get the right watch and they will appreciate in value and ultimately cost you nothing.

I bought a watch in a charity 50p box. A new strap cost £5. It's kept perfect time ever since. I've always bought cheap watches cos' I'm always losing or breaking them. It's a bugger when the battery costs more than the watch. Been perfectly satisfied with my collection.

• Like 2