• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My late mother-in-law Flo gave me the 3 gold ladies watches she had. All bought at the same time by her mother in 1935. One for herself, one for her sister and one for her daughter Flo who was 15 at the time. At the time I was given them, may be 10 years ago, they all worked.  i checked them a few years back and one wasn't working so sold it for scrap. One I wore a lot as the expanding bracelet fitted well. Driving around New Zealand a couple of years ago, we wandered into an antique store and the owner greeted us and spotted my watch. He asked if it was a Rolex, I said it doesn't say so. He reckoned not all Rolex's have it on the face, so he took a look. No, he was disappointed but not me, it is a nice little watch anyway. The winder is getting hard to pull out now to turn the hands, took it to a jewellers to see if it could be fixed, they wanted over  $200 to fix it.Thank you but no thank you!  But it still works after 85 years.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I've always fancied a Navitimer. I suppose I can afford it but I can't justify the expense! Can't take it with you I guess.

I bought one in Port Said docks Egypt circa 1980. The chap selling it swore that  Allah would strike him dead if it was not genuine. He asked for  200 Egyptian pounds (£20) claiming it was only so cheap because he needed to feed his poor starving family. I offered him £5 and a bag of lentils but settled on £15. I still have it in a drawer somewhere, it's automatic and with a couple rocking movements still works

• Like 2

Some good copies can be found on Spanish markets!  

I was given a Rolex for my 50th birthday but since owning  a Patek I’ve rarely worn the Rolex and it lives in the safe, I ought to sell it really.   My husband  had 3 Rolex watches but gave one to our son and never thinks to wear the poshest one, probably best though seeing as he never thinks to take his watch off when he’s gardening or DIYing so it gets mucky and scratched.   He  found a really good chap who services ‘luxury’ watches but it takes him a long time and you have to keep chasing him.  His workshop is in  one of the gatehouses of Osborne House on the Isle of Wight so not exactly down the road but closer than Switzerland. 

That's called a Chavitimer Brew. When I was in business there were many who thought they'd 'arrived' when they had a gold Rolex and drove a Jag. I've had a few Jags but never aspired to a Rolex. Just a shade too flash for my conservative  image! 

• Like 1

For my 50 Birthday Master treated me to a Guccie. I had it about five years when it required a new battery, when I was told how much it would cost £45 for a battery I nearly fell though the floor. Same old story if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. I was lucky though I still have my watch with a new battery.

Chavtimer… not heard that before -  like it. Like you I've had Jags but was disappointed with the build quality and Rolex have always been way too flash - quite like the Air King though.

Just now, radfordred said:

That same as a Gucci Mary :crazy: I have no bling bling, bling bling not my ting :huh:

But you have in the past boasted of the designer label clobber you lie to wear...;)

A watch battery costs about £2 and the tool for removing the back about £6. I've changed loads without problem. The more expensive watches have mechanical movements but a few have a battery. My Citizen Eco Drive has its battery charged by light and it automatically receives a time signal. Probably the most practical everyday watch I've ever owned. I've had it for over 10 years and I saved over £200 buy buying it from the Phillipines on Ebay. Not as elegant as a Rolex though but then nobody else sees your watch.

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

Chavtimer… not heard that before -  like it. Like you I've had Jags but was disappointed with the build quality and Rolex have always been way too flash - quite like the Air King though.

My last Jag, which I kept for its three year warranty period, went back to the dealership 8 times. I was sad to see it go as it was an F type but I couldn't live with the unreliability. Back to the Germans now sadly.

• Like 1

Haven't worn a watch for years.... and the last one I had was a cheapo from Argos I think it was.   I couldn't care less about cars - as long as they get us from A to B safely that's all I require!

I know I'm in the minority but I don't care about that :)

However, I obviously believe that each person has the right to own/buy whatever makes them happy (as long as they can afford it) 

In normal times I do like to support Charity shops and that's where most (not all) of my clothes come from.   I've never been a follower of fashion - I just buy what appeals to me at the time!

I'm  just a simple soul really and the older I get the simpler I become :laugh: 

As my mum used to say "It takes all sorts to make a world"

• Like 7

Couldn't agree more, Margie.  The more possessions we have, the more we worry about them. Maintenance, being stolen, getting damaged, etc. We just tie ourselves in knots worrying about things that aren't important.

My mother's maxim was that we should have enough for our needs and little else.  Material possessions have never meant anything to me. They're just a problem.  Each to their own but I prefer to keep it simple.

• Like 3

I'm not one for fancy clothes. A trip to Downtown or Edinburgh Woollen Mill once a year or less satisfies me. I only own one pair of shoes so I reorder the same style when mine are wearing a bit thin. I'm not really into material things other than I do like a nice car. We hardly ever eat out and never go to the cinema or theatre. A very boring and mundane life I lead but I've done all the things I've wanted to do years ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it's true of many people that the older we get, the simpler our lives become. We realise that the dross, the materialistic aspects and the effort required to  pursue the goals we thought were important in our youth just aren't worth the bother.

It depends on what makes you happy but I firmly believe that happiness comes from within, not from anything obtainable externally.

Others may disagree. It depends on your personal concept of happiness.

• Like 3

Keeping it simple is a Utopian idea that simply won't hold water. Sounds fine and dandy until it's forced on you and you actually have to live it. I'm thinking of China under Mao, everyone wears the same clothes has the same hairstyle and all property is communal. You never have to worry about work, a job is assigned to you, like it or not. You won't have to worry about a car, you're not allowed to own one. Housing is not yours to own, again it's assigned to you according to the value they place on your work. And that just for city dwellers...

Aborigine, Amazon tribes and African bush people could not live simpler lives but I for one would be a bit peeved if I had to give up my possessions and adopt their life style. A loin cloth and a bone through the nose really is not a good look on me.

Material possessions don't mean much - until some bugger nicks 'em.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One of the main ingredients for happiness is freedom. Yes, it comes at a price. We only have to look at the Rolls of Honour for two world wars to see that. However, we can all have freedom in our heads, regardless of the political system in which we live. That doesn't cost anything.

It's not often I wear a watch even though I've got a few nice ones. Even bought a very nice Polex in Turkey once. When I'm going to a place I'm not sure about or a rough area I definitely don't wear a watch.

8 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

However, we can all have freedom in our heads, regardless of the political system in which we live. That doesn't cost anything.

That opens up a whole different philosophical argument that would be fascinating to explore but here is not the place..

• Like 1

Brew, I agree with much of what you've written ... I suppose 'simple' to me means within the framework of my daily life here.  

Luke chapter 12 verses 15 - 21.  is one of my favourite parts of the Bible

I KNOW,... it's 'religion' but  most of the people on here won't read it anyway :)

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Brew, I agree with much of what you've written ... I suppose 'simple' to me means within the framework of my daily life here.  

Luke chapter 12 verses 15 - 21.  is one of my favourite parts of the Bible

I KNOW,... it's 'religion' but  most of the people on here won't read it anyway :)

Margie I could write a whole diatribe on that passage, not least that in the absence of knowing of his untimely demise the man made prudent provisions for the future. I do understand the point he makes of the relationship between God and mammon but don't think Luke used a very good example to get his point across.

Personally I have no issue with bible quotes in support of an argument.

The problem is that I live a ‘simple’ life surrounded by material possessions none of which mean very much to me but I’d probably miss them if they were gone. Having a few acres of land enables me to keep my fellow men at a distance. It must be miserable to be couped up in a high rise flat. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1