How's your day?

5 am is probably the best time of the day when the sun is shining at this time of year. I was up at 4.45 this morning and took my coffee into the conservatory and sat looking out over the pond. At 5.10 I was startled to see someone come into the garden and then remembered that my neighbour had come to paint the back of his cottage. He was surprised to see me up and about. He assumed that he would get the painting done before we got up. He is a gentle chap. Good neighbours make life so much more pleasant.

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

PP I remember well the smell of bacon early in the morning when camping. You're right you can't beat it, .....bacon I mean:laughing:

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

5 am is probably the best time of the day when the sun is shining at this time of year

Couldn't agree more. 6:12 bike ride. So peaceful. Gathered my thoughts ready for the odd jobs at the mother-in-laws. She's coping well. Her generation are stoic, but she is still fragile. Handled long 'phone calls with the hospital, Registrar and the Coop without batting an eyelid, then floods of tears when she saw "his" bench refurbished. Ken always grew tomato plants, so I'm setting some up in raised pots for her to look after, keep her busy. The worst bit is no hugs of consolation from her daughter, cremation with no attendance (we are all deemed at risk).

Still, others are suffering much worse, so best to keep plodding.

Have a good day wherever you are.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

PP I remember well the smell of bacon early in the morning when camping. You're right you can't beat it, .....bacon I mean:laughing:

I have been told by vegetarians that the smell of bacon is the one thing that can make them wistful!

I can believe it. It's a smell like no other even roast pork. I'm not vegetarian but don't eat a lot of red meat such as steaks,  braising, roast or grilled. Not  because I'm fussy, I just don't like it, although I eat Parma ham and cooked ham, sausages and veal. So the smell of bacon is sufficient to send me back to the days when camping with my parents.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

5 am is probably the best time of the day when the sun is shining at this time of year. 

I definitely agree with that, but it has an unfortunate side effect of making the rest of the day too long for me :)

If I get up at 5am, I get things done, I sort things out, and then find it's still only 8.30 (early for me) and I don't know what to do for the rest of the day.

Getting up late is a great way of passing the time, especially at the moment when you can't go far or do much - unless your name's Cummings.

• Like 1

Similar thing for me too Phil. When I used to drive bulk coal tippers, in Bulwell, I used to start at 3 or 4 am if I had a long way to go. Remember the A1 being a 3 lane road, especially after Colsterworth crossroads. Used to go early as it could be a bit of a slot uphill, dropping down to crawler gear. Roads were quieter then and I'd be done by dinnertime, after reloading for next day.

6 minutes ago, denshaw said:

When I worked on the buses, first shift started at 04.15 and finished at 11.30 AM, very nice especially in summer.

When at Bilborough depot, first out was no.55, Bilborough to Camberley road, Bulwell. Sign on time 04.59. Next, first 60, then 62/30.

Way back in the days before motorways we used to set off for our holidays in Cornwall at around 11at night.  Our driver, my uncle, who had a coal business, had just finished a hard day’s work so he was glad when he stopped for a kip on Dartmoor in the early hours of the morning. He had one of the very early gas fired portable stoves so we woke up to the smell of bacon frying. I think today, with much better roads, it will take just as long to get there because of the increased traffic volume.

Well I went in Morrisons a couple of hours ago. There was this woman down one isle. I wouldn't say she was fat but the only way to practice social distancing was to go down a different isle! 

• Like 1

Thought for a minute Pianoman,  you were going to say, ' the only way to distance was through another store'.

Phil’s post earlier about driving to a family holiday in Cornwall brought back a memory of 45 years ago.  We lived in a small village just outside Banbury and my husband had a meeting in Edinburgh at 10am one day. He set off at 4 in the morning and got to his destination an hour early so decided to have a kip in the car, outside the offices.  He woke up 3 hours later!  Fortunately he was still able to have his meeting.   It’s fatal to shut your eyes! 

• Like 2

Water being shut off here in Ashfield............message is go to Asda sutton for free water.....wife away so its just me,,, 3 lady neighbours have knocked on me door to let me know......result is i'm taking showers with them and probably drinking coffee too,,,,just looking for me sponge,,,lol..............

Nice thing aout working for an airline was coming off nightshift, breakfast in the airline's cafe in Toronto.  Run upstairs and hop a flight to Calgary for lunch and a coffee in the Rockies.

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Nice thing aout working for an airline was coming off nightshift, breakfast in the airline's cafe in Toronto.  Run upstairs and hop a flight to Calgary for lunch and a coffee in the Rockies.

Nice thing about working for the Corpo, ya got a free bus ride home for ya cuppa tea. :rolleyes:

• Like 1