How's your day?

Pleased your mother is OK, Brenda. It is  worrying time for us all.

With the fireflies, It's a little bit early for them here but I have seen a few which make me hope it will be a bumper year for them. Fascinating insects with a number of uses in medical science - probably including research into this ghastly virus that's plaguing us at the moment.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Just watched the news! 

It brought  tears to my eyes when I heard about the 3  men who were stabbed and later died. RIP but the next article was even worse a father and his daughter had gone for a walk and a car had hit them and it was fatal. You just can not imagen what the wife/partner is going though. Also how do the police handle it, having to tell some one that they will not see there husband and daughter again, my heart goes out to them. RIP Father and daughter,

A Dad, TWO children and a dog Mary.  Absolutely awful tragedy, apparently caused by a drunk driver.  He needs stringing up, but it won’t bring that family back. 

• Like 1

It seems one of those stabbed was from Liverpool originally.  A very sad day.  And the Cumbrian family.  It doesn't bear thinking about...

On a brighter note.. Last Thursday evening I watched a live concert by Tony Coburn of the Cavern Club Beatles.  He has another band called 'Pure Mc Cartney' in which he does .. you've guessed.. all Mc Cartney songs. In this he is assisted by a drumer and a couple of other musicians I don't know.. plus Paul Jones, who is the George Harrison in the Cavern Club Beatles, plus Paul's Spanish wife, who was a barmaid in the Cavern when I first met her, but is now a backing singer..

As the concert went out on Facebook live.. there were comments, and good wishes coming in from all aound the World.  I think about 38000 people watched it live Worldwide.  It's been seen by many more since as it seems it's 'up' on the CCBs F'book page:

I couldn't get it to play, but then I don't have a Paypal A/C to make a contribution.

Meanwhile I got some nice wine and brandy from the girls for Father's Day.

Was overdue for a walk today so I did about 6k round, then over,  the hill... which pretty much wiped me out.  Getting the exercise out of the way because I fully intend being prone on the Sun lounger for the coming 'Two Hot Days and a Thunderstorm'.  :)

• Like 1

On the subject of the three men stabbed in a Reading park. I wonder how many attitudes and sympathies changed after it was revealed they were gay?

Just spent 2 hrs ironing with music from the 50's. Time passed so quickly. Some of the songs I recognized with the first note but others had to Shazam them because I couldn't remember what the song was or the singer. Well it has been 60 + yrs.

Lunch now and swim this afternoon plus sunbathing. Taking opportunity before it storms again.

• Like 4

Yesterday I was feeling right fed up, I think it’s because we’ve endured 3 months of staying home and only been out of the house for grocery shopping and a walk with the dog.  I decided I needed therapy ..... retail therapy.  I walked into Nottingham, it’s mainly downhill from home, had a wander around, bought a few things and walked back (uphill) home.  Clocked up more than 10,000 steps and It did me a power of good.  
Today I’d planned on a bit of washing, cleaning and tidying up but I’d completely forgotten that we’d got a Zoom meeting booked with our Financial Advisor. At the same time our window cleaner was here doing inside and out, then my brother said he would pop round with his daughter mid afternoon, then I had to do some office work.  Right now I’m relaxing in the garden, my brother isn’t now coming round til early evening, the washing is all dry, the house is still in a mess .......but the sun is shining. 

• Like 3

How's my day? Same as it were yesterday and the 98 days before that. Just finished putting the fourth coat of varnish on my neighbours mini churn (see Beekays paintings). She was delighted when she saw it. She's going to look for a fern or something like that, so it won't hang over the side. It really does a power of good to ones self esteem and makes me realise I can still be of use. Can't wait to bring the milk churn up to Stapleford.

• Like 3

Lizzie you have to take the rough with the smooth and relaxing in the garden maybe with a " drinkypoo" is just what the Dr ordered.

I went out for a swim and did quite a few lengths , more than what I've done recently, got out and sat down a bit intending to sunbathe. Got back in the water ( it was sooo warm) and leaned forward to start to swim again when such a pain shot through my back. It took my breath away but I managed to get the lifebuoy down from the side and sling it over me so I could " hang" it certainly eased it but upon thinking I may have done too much swimming all in one go. So from now on I take it easy. Tomorrow more sunbathing after the dogs walks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oddly enough, one of my present simple enjoyments is looking through NonnaB 's open gates up the hill past the vineyard to the houses on top of the hill, (on the planter I  painted). I imagine walking across the road and across the fields. If I want a change I simply turn it round to my S.I.L.s house. Nuff sed! 

Ps. Never saw the swimming pool though, Nonna. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Easy does it Nonna, but how lovely for you to be able to swim just when you feel like it.  We’ve had pools in previous houses, it was great when the kids were younger, we had all their friends round but more importantly we knew where ours were.   Not sure I’d be committed enough to use a pool now but good on ya! 

My 'pool' is a bucket of cold water to put my feet in, while sitting in the garden in this very hot weather.  

• Like 1

Al Duff. You did it finally and managed to post a pic for your profile.

Just had 3 friends round for a 'spaced out garden chat'.   They came round at 7.30 and have only just left!  I love summer evenings when  the  air is still warm from a hot day... 

The local bats came out as usual about an hour ago and we had fun standing in the middle of the garden and clicking our fingers.  They were swooping really close over our heads.  They are so fast, blink and you miss them!

I often stand at the back door at dusk and watch them flittering around the gardens.

We have a bat that leaves his/her droppings outside my kitchen window. It was ages before we discovered what it was leaving them as I knew from leaving traps etc that it wasn't mice. It's always there during the day at the back of the window shutters. Does it's own thing at night then flies back for a sleep ready for the night flight again. On the other side we have the swifts who at a certain time of day perch on the telephone wire twittering away ( it's quite a racket when they're all together). The other day we were in the pool with my grandchildren and there were dozens of them swooping down to get water. It's the first time I've seen so many together. Think it must have been because there was more movement in the water and it attracted them. I'm usually in the water on my own during the early afternoon so I can swim without having to dodge everyone.

Dont think it'll be swimming weather today as rain is forecast.

• Like 1

Whilst sitting having a coffee and munching thru a pack of 12 snowballs (I know but it has to be done) I started pondering some of life’s mysteries.

Why is my brain stuck at 18 years of age and thinks I can do things that my body knows I can’t?
Where does the paper hanky come from in the washing machine when I know I checked all the pockets?
Why does Kai roll over to have his belly tickled But when I have his brush in my hand he forgets how to do it?
Why do my climbing plants climb anywhere but up the trellis I kindly provided for them? 
Why do Amazon tell you delivery in 3-5 days and then deliver the next day usually when you have nipped out for 15 minutes/are in the shower/washing your hair?
Why when I start my dishwasher is there always a spoon/fork/knife still on the worktop that wasn’t there before?
Why when I am walking Kai is the wind always in my face no matter how many corners I turn?
Why does the person in front of me in the queue in the shop/bank etc always take forever to get served?
Why does the rain wait until I have filled my washing line and come back in before starting?
Who decided daddylonglegs were useful and why do wasps want to chase me?
Why  in the sales are the things I like in every size but mine?
And the big one .... Why aren’t my lottery numbers in the draw?

• Like 6