How's your day?

Yet another poor weekend of television over, thank heaven. Football yesterday, football today with another match played months ago. And to top it all , now they have again ' match of the day! Listening to some of the trailers for upcoming progs, you know your onto a winner when they start with, " Another chance to see", or " the best of/best bits". Sod it !! I'm off to bed to read me book. Good night all, Stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Have any members ever seen the easylife book that comes in mag's news papers with any letters that come though your letter box ect. Well given it the once over there were some great things in it to buy including reusable fully washable first line of defence against the vorus mask. So sent for some on line, had e-mail back saying thank you for order, they might take a little longer to come but money does not go out of your bank till goods are being sent. Placed order 4th june by 15th june had not heard a thing from them, so sent e-mail  the message came back Autmatic Reply  we;er sorry your dilvery will take a little longer. but it doe's give you a telephone num of customer services. The money had been taken out of our bank so we were walting for our mask.I telephoned customer services after 5 min of some person the other end telling me that my call was important to them but they were getting lots of calls so it would be better to send e-mail via internet. Waited a few more days phoned again (as master did not like money going out of our bank and not getting any goods)  guess what I was in a que and i was no 40 caller on the list. Now are these people taking the p????? or what,. then another e-mail saying goods on there way. Finely after about a month I have got my masks.  BUT the moral of this story is What happend to Customer Services?? oh I almost forgot we live in Britten don't we.  In between the lines more went off but do not want to bore members any more.  Will never use these people again.        Even if rated 4 stars by Trustpilot.

Mary, I have lost count of the number of people I know who have ordered things from that brochure and experienced nothing but trouble. They include an elderly lady who lives around 300 yards down the road from me and who ordered, several years ago, a set of chiropody items.

Easylife mistakenly sent them to my address. At the time, I had to make enquiries to find out where the lady lived and I then took the parcel to her house. She was housebound and told me that she had been waiting months for the order.  Although I rang them and asked them to amend the address, I still receive brochures from Easylife. They go straight into the recycling!

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me HSR. Heard an advert on BBC 1 telling me about tennis on BBC 2 at 1.30pm with another guise of " Wimbledon Re-wind" ! I love tennis but for crying out loud another name for repeats !!!

I/we tend to watch programmes like Smithsonian, Quest, Abandoned Engineering, CCXTV to name a few. 

I realise that a lot are old films but at least they are interesting. There's been some good steam railways on and I reckon Bill Nighey s " Greatest train journeys in the World" have some stunning scenery, I take my hat off to the cameraman. Some good stuff on " Talking Pictures". Can't help but notice that BBC s breakfast tv and Victoria Derbyshire all repeat themselves about every half hour. I've no idea, the last time I watched ITV. 

Victor Meldrew, move over.

Had to pop out for a bit of shopping this morning....went to local Morrisons and 'Nearly' got all the rules right,,,

1/....kept a 2 metre distance from other shoppers...(well i think i did)

2/...Followed all the Arrows

3/...Did'nt cough..Sneeze..or Breath near anyone

4/..Went to the correct till...IE...Baskets only

5/...Also took cash,,,not card only...

Done well aint i ?.......don't believe it,,sorry Sir,,cant take money.......WHY?.......You licked your fingers.........really getting Pissed off now.....

Come back Marsdens

• Like 2

The answer to that is No Margie...however i do wear a Neckerchief all the time plus a button over the stoma that controls my speaking and breathing,,,its amazing how many of the health professionals know nothing about it.

Had a big disagreement with one of the health staff at City hospital the other day,,it  was obvious she knew nothing of my particular problem,,and instead of letting me explain kept talking over me,,,if my button gets blocked in any way i cannot breathe,,so have to remove it then i can breathe in a fairly normal way thru the Stoma,,my voice is enabled thru my breathing,,so after a few words i have to take a breath........i removed my button because it became blocked,,at this she raised her arms in horror,,i was furiuos,,and in the end ended my Consultation....

In contrast to the real issues confronting Ben and others on here, I do feel a bit wary of moaning.  Still here goes...;)

Apart from some very warm and dry weather early in Spring, and last week's 'Two Hot Days and a Thunderstorm', the weather here on the west facing slopes of the Billinge Massif, seems to have settled into a pattern of wind, wind and more wind..since at least Christmas.

Regardless of what the BBC online forecast says, it was windy yesterday and windier today.  Several times I've had to cover my Runner Beans with fleece to prevent the wind from causing the leaves to spin like propellors until they break off.  My experiement with a new location for them has not been a success. I've just spent an hour adding additional staking and support to assorted border perennials. I've also had to stake all of my Sunflowers, which were deliberately left unstaked on the advice of Monty Don..'in order to develop strong stems'... That worked... :angry:

On the upside. The weather has forced me inside and compelled me to start the redecorating for which I purchased all supplies needed way back in March.  I've replastered the corner where the internal soil pipe was removed and am about to start washing down the walls.  They were only just decorated when I decided to have the horrible ceiling artex plastered over...  The walls only need a quick wash down, but the ceiling and corner are raw plaster and will need thin coats to get started.

To add to the fun, after I'd finished rubbing down a layer of 'Easi-Fill' yesterday, I reached for the trusty Vax Mach Air which has been a cheap but effective vacuum for some years now.  On switch on.. it made a very sick growling noise.  A quick recce showed that the motor housing was lit up like Blackpool illuminations with spectacuar sparks, and a very strong smell of burning.  My guess is something along the lines of a brush assembly falling apart. I think it will most likely self imolate if 'fired up' (pun intended) again.. So.. Time for a new machine. I'm well past the days of nursing poorly appliances to save a few quid. 

General advice seems to be that cordless machines don't really have the power or run time. Many people recommend the Shark range, especially the 'lift away' types.  But any recommendations (barring Dyson) would be considered.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

The answer to that is No Margie...however i do wear a Neckerchief all the time plus a button over the stoma that controls my speaking and breathing,,,its amazing how many of the health professionals know nothing about it.

Had a big disagreement with one of the health staff at City hospital the other day,,it  was obvious she knew nothing of my particular problem,,and instead of letting me explain kept talking over me,,,if my button gets blocked in any way i cannot breathe,,so have to remove it then i can breathe in a fairly normal way thru the Stoma,,my voice is enabled thru my breathing,,so after a few words i have to take a breath........i removed my button because it became blocked,,at this she raised her arms in horror,,i was furiuos,,and in the end ended my Consultation....

Sounds like grounds for a complaint Ben.

Daughter suggested the same Col,,,,but i'm loathed to do so,,,think the NHS have enough on at the moment,,however i am still angry,,and am still considering.

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear of your recent experiences Ben, you have enough to cope with without ignorant jobsworths stressing you out.   Hope you have easier days from now on. 

• Like 4

DJ, we’ve got a Gtech AirRam K9 vacuum cleaner and like it as much as one could ‘like’ a vacuum cleaner.  Actually it’s the second one we’ve had, the first machine had a dodgy on/off button and rather than pay probably £50+ to get it fixed we ordered a new machine.  Still got the first one though.  The only issue we have is that it has to be emptied regularly.  We have had Dysons before and the Gtech is so light and easy to use compared to the cumbersome Dyson.  

Replaced our 20 year old Miele with a cordless double battery Shark Ninja, never seen Mrs Red so happy, took it round her mates & her Mums to show them how much dust was on their carpets, beds & curtains! Cost me a new stair carpet when it found a tread & sucked up about a 6 foot length of wool :Shock:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/shark-duoclean-anti-allergen-truepet-and-flexology-if260ukth-cordless-vacuum-cleaner

• Like 1

Looks the biz RR but I’m not sure I could bring myself to pay £500 for a vacuum cleaner, mind you, we’ve bought 2 at £250 each in the past 4 years!   

Thanks for recommendations folks.  I'd go cordless if it was my choice but Mrs Col is adamant she wants a corded machine.

I have decided to go electric cordless wherever possible, no more extension leads that somehow manage to tangle themselves up whilst hanging on a hook. They always get caught on the slightest lump or obstruction and if you have to use more than one to get to far flung parts they are forever coming apart at the join. This does not include them tangling around your feet and being in the way of what it is you are trying to do. No more difficult to start mowers, trimmers, chainsaws etc or getting everything ready for a job and find you have no fuel or have plenty of fuel but the wrong sort, 2 stroke vs 4 stoke. Just clean it down and plug it in to the charger when finished, jobs a gud un.

• Like 1

For some reason we have several. The most recent is a Dyson (corded), preceding that was a G Tech Ram, useless on carpet, OK on tile and  preceding that a Shark. Quite  powerful and I liked it but I have to admit it's the heaviest machine we've ever had and sent it back. The upstairs machine is a £49 Vax and does just as good a job, as far as I can see, as the expensive ones.

Does anyone have anything good to say about Dyson ?  Never owned owt by them, but that's partly because I've never seen any favourable comments on Dyson products.

They seem to have a working life of around a couple of years - if you're lucky - then they self-destruct or become unrepairable. Dyson seem to trade on being a fashionable name for people who buy designer labels without considering the real world.

All the evidence seems to indicate that the cheaper products by other manufacturers are better.

CT I have a cordless Dyson and have had it for about 5-6 yrs. The only thing was a new battery but apart from that I'm happy with it. We have tiles throughout the house so it flits through daily without problems. It has about 1/2 hr battery life each charge and for me that's enough. I have a robot permanently in the bedroom which goes on automatically every day. If I'm in a hurry I sometimes leave it to wander aimlessly as the rest is open plan. It has 2 powers normal and boost. My Philips vac is so cumbersome that it's there collecting dust , I don't like it all . Mind you it's very old and was always getting the cord twisted and under my feet , then when the cord rewind went crazy I bought my Dyson. My son also has one for his restaurant which he finds handy instead of having to search for a power point that is never in the right position and tripping over the cord.

But we are all different and what suits one doesn't suit the other. 

As we have have 3 dogs plus my daughters dog I look after during the day it's been a godsend. I empty it every day and at least every 2 weeks I take it to bits and give it a good clean.

An endorsement for Dyson vacuum cleaners. Had ours for over five years and it is still as efficient and effective as it was when new.

My daughter has a Shark upright which is very good, but seems somewhat more aggressive on carpet pile than the Dyson!

When I was Head of maintenance,about three years  before I retired, I bought six DC01s for my cleaners. The two year guarantee suddenly became six months because they claimed that our use was classed as commercial and not domestic,(even though they were used in the residential bungalows). Within the first year, all the wheels started collapsing and then the hoses started splitting. Didn't keep them much longer, just had to cannibalise some machines to repair others. And what about the ludicrous prices of their fans ?

When we downsized on retirement around 4 years ago we bought a Dyson V10, the latest model at the time and have to say it has been brilliant, used two or more times a day after visits from the dogs, grandkids or me bringing in lawn clippings on the bottom of my boots. We have a mix of carpets and tiles and get a run time of 45 mins on normal and 15 on max power. When finished empty it and plug it in to the wall mounted charger. Just had to invest in a new battery so no complaints here. You just have to clean the filters periodically which you should do on mains powered machines any way

Just an extra on the likes and dislikes of Dyson. My daughter has an upright corded Dyson which I borrowed some years ago and it's so heavy. It felt as though it had got a mind of its own, just like supermarket trollies that don't go where you wanted them to go.

Interesting to see a majority of positive opinions about Dyson.

It seems to prove the theory that people who post opinions on websites only do so when they have something to complain about. Those who are happy and have nothing to complain about don't bother telling anyone.

• Like 2