• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

How's my day?? Bloody awful ! Been off broadband and tinternet for seven days now. Using my neighbours right now, before she comes back.

You’re supposed to pay the bill you know BK.  

• Like 1

Mary,

I suspect that spuds which turn grey are already either severely frosted.. (unlikely this year) or suffering from some sort of disease. I'd take 'em back where I bought 'em and demand a refund.

We tend to buy Maris Piper for general use.  They are mostly OK, burt can occasionaly have greyish bits due too some sort of 'blight'.  For 'posh' we tend to go for Jersey Royals.

Many years ago we used to get Cyprus Potatoes.  Absolutely gorgeous and always came with a fair coating of red clay, but I haven't seen them for decades.

Edit.. It seems Tesco have them..  I must have a word with Mrs Col....

Thanks DJ360 for reply the problem is the spuds were from Co-op, Tesco, and M/S. So it must be the way I cook them.  Your so right about Cyprus Potates, I did get some from Morrison's but the following week they did not have any,   

For all you FOREST FANS out there.

FRIDAY  10th JULY  ITV 10-45pm    

EUROPEAN CUP WINNERS:         NOTTINGHAM FOREST

Documentary how   Brian Clough and Peter Taylor built a Champioship-Winning Football Team. 1970s

I WAS THERE 

if you look for the young girl with blonde hair, wearing a Tea  shirt with Nottingham Forest on, Well thats me.

• Like 3

Not a good start today. Up early as usual and dressed in gym shorts ready for the rowing session. In came one of the cats, wet through and brushing against my naked legs. Shooed him off and went down to the kitchen to find a dead and mauled Blue Tit on the floor. For me this is quite distressing. Did just 30 min on the rowing machine and showered. Then the other, very wet cat walked into the dressing room and brushed around my just dried legs. He was ejected with a threat - "If there is another dead bird in the kitchen I will strangle both of you!!". Luckily there wasn't. I used to love seeing all the birds on the garden. Should there be a protection order on garden birds and cats treated as vermin? OK I'm on a 'bad cat day'. Just wish we did not have them.

..............just before I logged in I walked into the conservatory with my coffee.....and you have guessed...both cats looking very cuddly and innocent on the sofa, gave me their slow blink and yawn.....

• Like 1

It is distressing, PP, but the cats are only obeying their natural instincts. Far more birds are killed by cars and cats don't drive cars, people drive cars. Can we say that, in doing so, we are only obeying our natural instincts? Garden birds also fly across roads, usually at low level.

Most of the damage done on this planet is perpetrated by us. Is that a good case for designating the human race as vermin?  Well, I know what I think!

RSPB figures:

Cars - 6 million

Cats - 55 Million

Quote:-

In the UK alone, it has been estimated that domestic cats catch around 55 million birds every year.

Birds and cars do not mix and many birds lose their lives when they collide with moving vehicles. Rather worryingly, it is believed that the lives of around 6 million birds are claimed this way each year.

Despite the large numbers of birds killed by cats in gardens, there is no clear scientific evidence that such mortality is causing bird populations to decline. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally every year, mainly through starvation, disease or other forms of predation. There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds.

We also know that of the millions of baby birds hatched each year, most will die before they reach breeding age. This is also quite natural, and each pair needs only to rear two young that survive to breeding age to replace themselves and maintain the population.

It is likely that most of the birds killed by cats would have died anyway from other causes before the next breeding season, so cats are unlikely to have a major impact on populations. If their predation was additional to these other causes of mortality, this might have a serious impact on bird populations.

Those bird species which have undergone the most serious population declines in the UK (such as skylarks, tree sparrows and corn buntings) rarely encounter cats, so cats cannot be causing their declines. Research shows that these declines are usually caused by habitat change or loss, particularly on farmland.

Source: RSPB

There is also the threat from wind turbines, plate glass windows, pesticides, pollution, etc. All of them man made.

Don't even get me started on hedgehogs

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Thanks DJ360 for reply the problem is the spuds were from Co-op, Tesco, and M/S. So it must be the way I cook them.

This is very odd.

Thinking way back to school science and my later stint as a Lab Technician..  Potato starch turns blue in the presence of Iodine.. which I doubt is present in your cooking, but starch also turns black in the presence of Iron and other metals.  Are you cooking in aluminium or non-stainless pans?

Some interesting info here:  https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/gray-potatoes-43516.html

I don't know how you store your spuds Mary.  I definitely wouldn't keep them in the fridge. When we used a small veg rack, spuds were always lept in a thick black bag to keep them from daylight which turns them green (and potentially toxic)

These days they just go in a cupboard, in a black bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Despite the large numbers of birds killed by cats in gardens, there is no clear scientific evidence that such mortality is causing bird populations to decline

Didn't say they did though they don't exactly help, just thought I's clear up a misconception...  ;)

According to the graph on this site, windows are by far the  biggest threat to American birds

https://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/#:~:text=Disease is a major source of mortality for,problem in wetlands where water is drying up.

Hi DJ360 

just look at the other post you sent, and as i have not changed my pans for h'mm'mm quite  a while i think it could be the way that they are stored. Not the way that i store them as like you they are in a veg rack, no definitely the "Super Markets" 

• Like 1

Looks like it.

Well its Friday again  Tal Chi Morning  I have missed doing my Tai Chi, yes you can do it at home but its not the same.  So tutor Elaine and students put our heads to-gether,  from 9-00  till 12 30  we split in groups of 10, bearing in mind that we keep our distance of 2 meters. We use a local park only thing is when raining we have to take a rain check.

Sometimes there are only 4 or 6 as some don't turn up.

The better weather we've been promised for more than a week now is taking on the nature of 'Jam Tomorrow'.

Although it isn't actually raining at present there are shower clouds about and maybe 30% blue sky.  Also a cool breeze. It's a toss up as to whether I'll have to cover over my Green Bean plants for the fourth time to protect them from the wind.

To add insult to injury, the promised 'heatwave' looks increasingly like being a bit less cold for up to two days before a return to rain on Monday and another week of cloud.

Whoopee:(

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Where's Beekay today? Is he attending Vera Lynn's send off?

Here I  am little sis. Yes, saw the send off. Two beautiful spitfires did THREE fly past over our Wigwam we waved to the pilots while we were in our garden.

Loppy, your right, I've had broadband problems for 8 days now. BT have sent me a 4g mini hub to tide me over until they can find the problem.

Lizzie, yes, I have paid my bill.

• Like 3

It is a friends birthday tomorrow. As I am not going to many shops present buying has been a problem, so as she loves her garden a plant seemed the obvious choice.

I got her a really pretty one with red flowers (from Lidl they do have some very nice plants) I have an orange one the same, sorry can’t remember the name it is rather long. Anyway I was looking at it after I got it home and thought it would go very nicely with my orange one so decided to keep it and get her another one.

Two days later went back to Lidl and got her a different plant really pretty with pink and red shaded flowers (again can’t remember name, I go on whether it appeals to me not what they are called, only plant names I remember are common ones and gerbias (not gerbils as my iPad thinks it should be) which I have just discovered this year. 
After a day it was sitting on my patio thingy in a pot and I have ordered her a bouquet (spelling) of flowers to be picked up tomorrow before I walk down to see her.
Note to oneself next time you are in Lidl pull your mask over your eyes when walking past the plants!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Had a run out into Bulwell this morning (for a change)................first time back at Wetherspoons,,,must say they have done a brilliant job on re-opening,,,big sign listing all the changes,,also stated prefer Card for payment but will accept cash,,,tables nicely spaced,,Bar Queue well organised...........had nice breakfast with my much missed Espresso,,served by excellent staff.

Bumped into a couple of old mates and two cousins,,......Saw a Barber that i use occasionally was open so thought i'd have a trim,,,until i saw he'd doubled his prices,,expected an increase but not bleddy double,,so i'll wait for the wife returning and let her loose with me Razor.......i sincerly hope the good folk of Bulwell shun this cheeky sod of a Barber...........

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Had a run out into Bulwell this morning (for a change)................first time back at Wetherspoons,,,

Did you have to book in advance to get in, or just turn up at random ?

Just turn up,,,Do you mean Wetherspoons or the Barbers?..............anyway where's random?

• Like 2

My day has ended with  relief and a lot of emotion. I wasn't quite sure where to post this but finally decided here.

A week last Saturday my husband came home from work with a high temperature. He'd been to the drs a couple of days before who diagnosed a possible urine infection which needed to be tested the following Monday but as my husband had this infection he rang the dr to explain about the high temperature. Dr gave advice what to do and he rang every few hours to check on his temperatures. This continued until Wednesday when finally he had to report it. We got a phone call from ASL ( health authorities) to say stay at home until further notice. The Dr continued ringing us.Eventually he said to leave it another day and then he was going to make it official. The temperature didn't go down  so we were given an appointment to go to the hospital in Asti for a swab.That was Friday, 48 hrs they said for the result. Biting our finger nails etc and waiting for the results is a terrifying experience, one that I wouldn't wish on anybody. Our Dr has been wonderful telling us that as soon as he hears anything he would let us know. Even over the weekend he hadn't heard anything but rang all the same to tell us just that. Tonight the Lord Mayor rang us 7.30pm to tell us that we are all negative.Now we just have to wait for the official "yes you can go out" notice which will be tomorrow. You can't imagine what a relief it is. The Dr was convinced from the start that it was this urine infection that was causing the high temperatures but antibiotics soon got to work.

Keep well and safe everyone. We have been extremely careful so we were even more worried ,if we were positive, where and who have we got it from. So thank goodness it all ended happily.

• Like 11