How's your day?

On Thursday we escaped the confines of Nottingham for the first time since February and came to Dorset for a few days, to make sure the place is still here.  Had a lovely few days so far ...... one of our sons came down from Milton Keynes for the weekend as he’s ‘home alone’ at the mo because his family are in Czech Republic (daughter-in-law is Czech and  apparently they haven’t suffered as much as UK with Covid and life is pretty much as it should be)
Yesterday we had a drive around, planning to have a coastal walk and to visit a pub we love. We managed the walk  but when we got to the pub it was packed and nowhere to park, kept going to next suggestion, paid £4 for car parking, walked 50 yds to a pub and it was also packed ....... had to book an outdoor table and then order ...... certainly no tables would be free for a very long time. I gave my parking ticket to a lovely young couple and we drove back home and had a few bevvies and dinner here.   
Today has been gorgeous weather-wise, I’m sure the entire country has enjoyed lots of sunshine too.  Son went out paddle-boarding, wanting me to go out with him but I declined.  I always regret not doing something when it’s too late, maybe next time ........  our kid left to go back home this afternoon, avoiding the hoardes who are probably on Bournemouth beach still.  
So as the sun goes down, hope you’ve all had a good weekend, stay safe everyone and look to more carefree days ahead ....... hopefully 

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Just turn up,,,Do you mean Wetherspoons or the Barbers?..............anyway where's random?

I was asking about Spoons because I know that some pubs have been operating on a '"booking only" basis; likewise most barbers.

Lovely day today. A bit of rowing and a shower, then did a bit more ground levelling beside the chicken coop and tossing worms to the hens. Then a bit of weeding with Gt Granddaughter. Lifted a few spuds. Bumper crop this year. Gt Grandson #2 helped me feed the chickens. 5.30 met 2 mates on the village green for drinks outside the local. No problem with space or service. Great steak dinner at home. Testing the quality of sirloins bought from Penkridge market yesterday (well organised and safe). They were good considering there were 14 for £20. Of course the St Emillion does help. Then looked on ebay to see how our old conservatory had done (our son selling it for our grandson) - amazed that it fetched £720! I am so lucky :biggrin:

• Like 1

No mate,,just turned up at both,,peculiar really in spoons lovely atmosphere,,better than before lockdown

• Like 1

@nonnaB  what a relief for you and your husband .... waiting for any results can be a tense time, and in this case even more so.  Now you can relax.... xx

@LizzieM  pity you couldn’t get a meal out today, but it must be nice to have a change of scene (instead of Nottingham). ... or are you wanting to get back?   It’s been lovely weather here as well.

• Like 1

Been away for the weekend in Rutland, drove past Rutland water many times and always wanted to look closer, we stayed close to there in a coach house. Did a walk round Hambleton about 5 miles. Most of the coffee shops were cautious, sanitiser on entry and took our names and addresses. Pubs were quiet, people are still cautious, sat outside where we could.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No Margie, I’m not wanting to get back to Nottingham but unfortunately I need to return as I have various appointments coming up and having waited for several months and put up with cancelled appointments I’m not going to miss out now.  
Incidentally, did anyone else watch Sheku Kanneh-Mason and his very large family this evening on BBC1.  A wonderful programme about this extraordinarily talented family who live just up the road from me!   I rarely see them knocking about though, they must be indoors practicing all day.  

• Like 1

Thankyou for understanding we've just heard that we are "free" to do what we want. It is now 8.15 am  The hospital has been quick in informing us. I can now go back home, I've been staying at my daughters ( both separated). Both her and my husband can go back to work which is a great relief as if the tests had been positive all the staff and maybe their families in both their restaurants would have had to have been tested too. So happiness has returned .

Keep safe everyone , because even if you have this test for any reason whatsoever the waiting is intolerable but the relief is overwhelming.

On top of all this I fell down , banged my head, arm, shoulder, knee and hurt my already painful wrist.But I'm ok now. I can go out to show all my bruises. :rotfl:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@LizzieM  yes,I watched the program about that musical family .  Wondered whereabouts in Nottingham they lived...   they are SO talented!

Hope all your appointments will turn out  well, whether medical or hairdressing !!

3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

On top of all this I fell down ,

Clumsy bugger! Glad you're OK though and pleased to heard the tests were negative... :victory:

• Like 1

Clumsy, maybe but bugger ....NO.

I had taken the two small dogs just a couple of metres  down the road ( we should have stayed in) I was on my way back when a car came from behind me at full speed. As we live in the country and our road is not quite a dirt track!  When I hear a car I stop and gather the dogs leads up short and step onto the grass verge. We have only tractors and the occasional car so it's reasonably safe and it's so quiet that I can hear a car coming from quite a distance. When the car had passed I turned round to see if there was any more traffic coming and in doing so I ....I don't know I was on the ground. Head banged on gravel , my glasses shot off. Arm grazed badly and a few grazes here and there then I realized my wrist was hurting even more than before. The dogs shot off up the road then stopped to look at me. I called them but only the bigger one came back, the little one just stood terrified but eventually returned to me. I had problems getting up and the few steps back home was like a marathon for me. My husband rang the dr as he was in constant contact with him but he said to just keep me under observation and to dress all my " injuries"

Im fine now but it's made me a bit cautious. ...

ps must take more water with it next time:rulez:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MargieH said:

Wondered whereabouts in Nottingham

I thought that's where they lived. Recognised it by the big trees either side of the road. Nowhere else in Nottingham  has roads like that.

Glad to see all out and about enjoying themselves. Please stay safe.

Saturday here was slightly less rainy, but freezing as an arctic wind ran around the top of the increasingly shrinking area of high pressure which was supposed to bring us something better.  We had our regular weekly socially distanced street party and a quiz.  Mrs Col and I won.. which bestows upon me the privelege of coming up with next week's quiz....

Yesterday (Sunday) the warm weather finally arrived and I set out to enjoy a day in the garden topping up my suntan.  Got a few hours in but we were invited to friends in Liverpool so by 3:30 we were on our way down there. Just nice to drive somewhere for a reason and in relative normality.

Enjoyed a pleasant meal in friend's garden.  Later a chat indoors until quite late.  First time we'd seen them face to face since Feb.

Today.. it's raining.

Went for a Blood test this morning, with the rotton virus around, all had masked on staff as well as paients. One lady came into reception ask do I sit on the chairs with a cross on them, No! said I, you have to ues the plain ones, well when you have glasses on and your masked you get a little steamed up, so I removed mine and sat there with them in my hand, Oh! thats a good idea said the women who ask aboiut the cross on the chairs.  Just a minute said the women "I can't see a bloody thing" and with that we bout bust out laughing,   

To quote a phase 

Oh! what a tangled webb we weave.

Had a venture out this morning, Wickes on Derby Road I think it was (still get a little bit llost on road names) and then in to B&M at Radford. (I am still amazed at all the student accommodation around Nottingham. When my husband & I had a flat near the Forest students made do with bedsits with shared bathroom. In fact I can remember having people sleep on our couch or living room floor at times when they had to leave their rooms, often quite quickly.  They are certainly mollycoddled now with their en suites etc.) 
Sorry I digress back to the subject. It is amazing how the “new normal” has become, well, normal. Picked up handbag, checked I had got purse, phone, mask and face shield. (Always have mask and face shield with us when we are not shopping locally, usually end up wearing face shield, get some funny looks, but it is more comfortable than a mask when wearing for a long time.We were actually asked where we got them from today.) Got to Wickes, out of car, face mask on and proceeded to the end of the socially distanced queue, only 1 wearing a mask and a child with a snood type thing on. Eventually got inside, one elderly gentlemen had his mask under his chin(?) Didn’t get a trolley as we didn’t need one so no need to sanitise anything, got what we wanted, socially distance queued again to pay, card only. Back to car, face mask off, sanitise hands with anti-viral wipes. Same rigmarole at B&M, but sanitised trolley and hands before going in, no queue here though.

It is amazing how quickly we have become accustomed to doing it and now do it automatically. I have noticed whilst wearing the face shield how many times I have gone to touch my face without realising it, obviously I can’t just end up poking the shield, it probably means they are safer than masks in that regard, plus they don’t get so hot when you wear them for longer. Easy to clean as well, just give them a good spray with anti-bacteria spray and wipe down. 

• Like 1

Travelled back to Nottingham this morning and were home for lunch.  It’s a bit chilly up here today, we’ve got the heating on!  Done some washing, sorted the post, caught up with boring work-related stuff and now going to relax and watch a bit of telly, if I can find something, anything, worth looking at.  

2 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

It is amazing how the “new normal” has become, well, normal. ........It is amazing how quickly we have become accustomed to doing it and now do it automatically. 

That still surprises me. People have accepted at certain times they may have to queue to get into shops.....wait until someone else comes out.....limited numbers inside.....etc etc. 

Before long, we'll have forgotten what it was like before that happened.

Hopefully it won't become the norm, Shops and especially supermarkets work on quite small margins and rely on quantity to maintain profits - the old 'stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap model'.

The slow pace of customers through the checkouts are bound to force turnover down which in turn may mean we pay higher prices for our shopping. I'm not sure if online shopping will ameliorate their profit margins, there is very little impulse buying online. 

I wonder if things will ever be the same Brew. We've now been in self isolation lockdown for 120 days and it's getting as though we don't/dare'nt go out any where. We are so apprehensive. Don't want to be scared of going in a shop.

Mrs Red & I went out Sunday afternoon top of Canning Circus, 1st pub asked if we had booked a table, no, one name & number taken, shown where to sit, drinks order taken & delivered, paid on card on way out. 

2nd pub walked up to bar ordered drinks, paid cash, took table outside, just like the old normal.

3rd pub, masked & gloved up youth stood in door asked if we had booked? No, took one name & number & both temperatures via some gun device, stood @ the bar & ordered & carried my own drinks to table, paid on card. 

Restaurant not booked, seated table for two, only waitress wearing mask, paid on card, walked there & back didn’t fancy the mask malarkey on the bus. 

I expect there will soon be ‘designer masks’ which are no more efficient  than local handmade ones but cost a lot more.... and people will buy them!

• Like 1