How's your day?

Wonder if the disaster in Palermo yesterday had anything to do with it. The world IS changing.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

RR if you're referring to my post please say so. Certain things we know and recognize others we depend on scientists and others , whether they are right or wrong so unless you know more than they know , carry on. I have no problems sleeping. I mentioned this disaster in Palermo because it really was a disaster and we have family who live there AND in the surrounding areas. 2 victims trapped inside a flooded car and two small children suffered hyperthermia and were taken to hospital. 

I just knew I'd get a smart remark as soon as I sent the post. You didn't let me down Oz. Cheers, stay safe, stay there.:rolleyes:

Thanks WB . Just heard on news that there were no bodies in the submerged car. Haven't followed the link so don't know if it shows people swimming across the road.There were 300 firemen working to help people. Such a tragedy. We were along that road In January.

Looks grim Nonna.

Yes of course climate change has been happening forever, but the speed of recent changes , especially in the melting of polar ice, can only be explained by human activity.

Meanwhile, in other news.  I sat down this morning to have a quick look on here while I had a coffee before getting back into the decorating.

Suddenly a loud thud on the dining room window next to me.

Stepped out onto the pile of uneven and weed infested flags we laughingly call 'the patio'..  There was a fully fledged but very young Blackbird.. wings and tail spread.. neck bent right over.  The poor thing was still moving slightly but expired as I watched.  I left it for a few minutes in case by some miracle it was only stunned.. but when I went back to it hadn't moved, and had dribbled something onto the stone where it was lying.

Buried it in the garden.

Thing is, it was almost certainly one the chicks from a nest in the Honeysuckle between me and the neighbours. Blackbirds nest there every year.

This one didn't get far.

Do you have a lot of glass where the bird it Col? We had a similar problem until I stuck a silhouette of a peregrine falcon on the window. It did the job, it's never happened since.

Window sill has been clear of all ornaments while I'm decorating but the curtains were nearly closed to shade the PC monitor. Just bad luck I think.

Bit off topic but need some advice, I need to buy a new car as my aunt has now to use a wheelchair and the car I have at present isn't suitable. I have looked at some cars and would like a jaguar land rover, any advice on suitability would be appreciated, I live on the north Yorkshire coast so need a car to cope with bad weather. All advice will be appreciated.  Have listened to sales talk but they just want to sell me a car.

Gem

Sorry Gem.. can't really help on that one.  I wonder if there is some sort of Disability or Wheelchair Users forum that could advise?  You can't be the first person to ask the question.

Does it just have to be a car which can take a folding wheelchair in the boot?  Or something which can carry the disabled person whilst still in their chair?

Maybe start from here?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Suitable+vehicles+for+wheechair+users.&t=ffnt&ia=web

If you look on the ‘mobility scheme’ web page there is a search category for WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicles). That should help find a suitable car. You have to select the tab WAV. 

9 hours ago, Gem said:

I have looked at some cars and would like a jaguar land rover, any advice on suitability would be appreciated,

Are you looking at new or used ?

Land Rover (and all the subsidiaries) always come near the bottom of reliability reviews and tables. Google the subject Land Rover Reliability and it'll scare you. Even if you have a new manufacturer's warranty, it'll probably spend a lot of time back at the dealers. 

• Like 1

Bear in mind that Landrovers are substantially higher than conventional cars and are not necessarily suitable for a wheelchair user to climb into. My wife has a Jaguar F Pace and I had difficulty getting in prior to my hip operation. A large estate car would be more appropriate.

Try a Citroen C3 Picasso or maybe up to a C5 Gem. I've been highly delighted with mine. Huge boot space and when exiting the car, you just turn sideways and walk away. No climbing or scrambling out. B.

PS. Another good one would be the 'Berlingo'. Rear doors are sliding, making for great entry.

Are they going to hunt down all the copies of the film and edit out any reference to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgePEO7GUtE

There's 14 uses of the word in a 4 minute clip inlcuding one to indicate it was the code word for a successful breach in the Mohne Dam.

To use a phrase from another well known film, Madness, Madness.

Well they're not having bloody access to my copy !! It's going to stay as it is.  Where is all this pc drivel going to end?

It's getting as you daren't say anything without upsetting some silly bugger....(Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells).

I have decided, quite arbitrarily, that all reference to the Norman invasion will henceforth be banned.  I feel that it is offensive to anyone whose name is Norman and implies that they are aggressive, violent, territorial and, worst of all, have imperialist leanings.

Likewise, all reference to Norman churches will henceforth be banned as it is offensive to anyone named Norman (always bearing in mind that it can be a first name or a surname) who does not follow the religion of Christianity and whose atheist, Jewish, Pagan, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim or other religious sensibilities may be injured by the association of their name with a style of architecture dating from centuries before they were born and who had no say in the matter.

Of course, I haven't consulted with a living soul named Norman in arriving at this decision but I feel certain they will all be delighted by the attention...because Norman;)s matter, too!  

• Like 6