How's your day?

Many years ago, when I was at Berridge, we were involved in some activity and a Jamaican lad who was in my class was annoying me. I told him he'd been left in the oven too long and he was out of his chair like a rocket to report me to the teacher.

I was summoned to the teacher's desk for the usual, "I'm surprised at you," opening gambit which is designed to make children feel ashamed of themselves.

It didn't work.  I asked the teacher whether he was familiar with the West African myth of clay children being baked in an oven, some being baked longer than others and, therefore, darker in colour when they emerged.

He had to admit he wasn't and was still intent on ticking me off, so I went to the school library and retrieved the book in which I'd read the legend. It contained the usual gamut of cultural myths and legends from Adam and Eve to the Dreamtime stories of Australia.

He didn't know what to say when I asked him why, if we weren't permitted to refer to its contents, such a stupid book was present in the school for all to read.

I have never forgotten that incident. It certainly wiped the smirk from two people's faces.

In more recent years, this myth has been turned into a children's book, The Fire Children.

It taught me a valuable lesson. Teachers don't know everything...and some of them don't know anything!

• Like 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

????  I couldn't give a toss whether Forest get promoted or disbanded. I'm one of the few people in England who cannot stand football ! Yet its on the bloody telly every night. 'Match of the sodding day'.

Wrong subject for me mate. I'd rather talk about the Falkirk wheel or the Clyde at Erskine bridge.

12 minutes ago, Beekay said:

????  I couldn't give a toss whether Forest get promoted or disbanded. I'm one of the few people in England who cannot stand football ! Yet its on the bloody telly every night. 'Match of the sodding day'.

And I'm one of the others that has no interest whatsover in team sports, never have had.

And there's more than a few of us Beekay.

The only exception is I'll watch the England team at the Olympics.

Cheers pal ! More power to yer elbow. Glad there's a few of us left. Although I've got to admit, I'd watch owt at the moment, after being in isolation for 122 days. Really fed up with all these repeats. Running out of things to paint. Take care mate !

19 minutes ago, Al Duff said:

live only a few cabers' tosses

That's  summat else, not bin tossing fer ages. :rolleyes:

Bekay the wife loves knitting , but the sound of needles annoys me, I am a miserable old sod, so I am reliably informed, give me the peace and quite of the greenhouse and the garden anytime.

I don’t like watching professional football.  Enjoy watching the grandchildren playing footie though

• Like 1

That's it then Trogg. We could form the M.O.G. club, (Meldrew Old Gits). We could sit around somewhere and complain about everybody who passes by or the state of the weather etc. Or little kids playing football near us.  (TONGUE IN CHEEK FOLKS!)

• Like 1

Been out in the garden debudding  all the flowers and generally tidying up. I'd just finished and was going in to eat cos I'm famished when my neighbour the other side asked me to wait a minute. She then proceeded to put tomatoes and courgettes into a bag for me. Thankyou very much. Her uncle is a pensioner and loves growing veg but they have so much stuff they don't know what to do with it so he gives most of it away. The same thing with my other neighbour, they are practically self sufficient, have vineyards everywhere and sometimes the excess comes to me and friends and families of theirs. I don't insult them by asking " how much" I just bake a couple of cakes or tin of biscuits. Now unless I make a tomato sauce and put it in the freezer I will be eating tomato salad for a long time. Not a bad idea though.

We don't grow anything now . When we first moved here we planted 130 different tomato plants. We had sauce etc for about a year. The following year we got in down to 65 tomato plants plus courgettes, aubergines and peppers. We had every type of courgettes that was possible even the long ones you see trailing fences in Sicily. We took the tender shoots off to encourage more side shoots and then take the tender shoots off those. Chopped up and cooked with pasta they are delicious after adding a tomato fried with olive oil. These 

"  tenerumi " are quite difficult to buy at the veg markets so many people mostly sicilians grow their own, so when we find them we buy loads and freeze them.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@radfordred  would love you to join us but it might be embarrassing as our granddaughter might run rings round you!    She is only 10 but was training with Cambridge United Juniors until lockdown.  She is football crazy...  

Another  couple of years and you'll probably be playing footie with your own little granddaughter (unless she would rather you play dollies with her :wacko: )

• Like 3

My chickens definitely love me. Last evening, when sitting outside, by the coop, with my pre dinner beer, they all settle in next to me :)  It's quite peaceful sitting and watching them

They are quite entertaining and far better pets than cats. They bring me eggs, not birds. Only 3 are laying so far. Small eggs every other day but they are only 18 weeks old. The other 3 are only 15 weeks old so no eggs yet.

Measured up the coop today. Putting a covered extension on for an old armchair, so that we can roost together :rolleyes:

• Like 4
On 7/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Are you looking at new or used....

Sorry taken so long to reply I thought I had already done so. Was looking at new and because of price decided I needed help looked at the Land Rover stats and they are not good. Have taken all advice offered about different vehicles and will also look into asking mobility. Whenever I have asked for advice you have all been brilliant. 

Sat on a bench in Woodthorpe Park this afternoon when a chap pulled up on his mobility scooter thing & we had a good chat. During the conversation that followed I realised I had worked for him as an apprentice more than 50 years ago.

Amazing who you bump in to.

• Like 3

Very anxious today We have insisted on seeing my mother. The care home isn't allowing anyone to visit because of Covid . I understand the need to stay away but as the nurse rang us the other day to say that maybe they had to take mum to Pronto Soccorso  because she refused to eat. At the finish they decided against  it because she would have had to undergo all the preliminaries necessary and they thought she'd gone through enough. They thought she would be safer in staying where she was but called a Dr from the hospital to come to see her. He came with a nurse who once again put her on drip, She can't carry on being fed by a drip so we have been given special permission, after repeated appeals with them. They aren't too pleased but neither are we. This permission wasn't given by the home it had to go to higher authorities who have done all they could do to give us this permission. We have had to answer loads of questions, never ending questions and they've told us what to to do and what not to do. So this afternoon we will be able to see her for the first time since Christmas (for me anyway). The video call and waving doesn't count as we were so far away.Ive had to write a letter again explaining what is happening because she's deaf (the home has lost her hearing aid) and doesn't understand or speak Italian.She must feel so alone and bewildered. The loss of her hearing aid is in the hands of the solicitor because the home won't answer letters.