• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Hay?  What's that?

Are you going to open a tin of Gourmet or am I going to pack my spotted hanky and leave home?

Current favourite is Gourmet Melting Heart. Pate with a sauce centre. We like it this week. Next week, it will be the worst thing since cheapo Kit E Kat!

We’re not only ones whose cats have fickle eating habits then? 

When we were first married and lived on Burford Road, Forest Fields, we had a cat who regularly had fresh cod steaks or tinned salmon. I could come home and find the cat with salmon and me with potted meat sandwiches! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Our cats are mother and son but they have very different food preferences...Button (mother) likes wer food - well she likes  the sauce or gravy in the pouches; she often doesn't eat all the 'flakes', whereas Zippy (son) won't touch commercial wet cat food at all.  

They both like cheap frozen white fish from the Supermarket, which I microwave and cheapest tinned tuna.    They both  eat dry food when desperate.

They also like chewing up birds and voles but don't think they eat much of them!  

I do love  cats but I wish they wouldn't do that

• Like 2

Oh yes, we like the gravy but not the chunks! We also like granary breadcrumbs! :blink:  yogurt and anything mum's eating, even though it's vegetarian.

We like biscuits but they have to be IAMS!  We like Dreamies!!!! This week. Next week, who knows!

• Like 2

We also had a Yorkshire terrier who had a penchant for yoghurt. Trouble was, he would only eat it from a spoon.

I blame 'er indoors for that.

• Like 1

Both our dogs love a saucer of yoghurt each afternoon around three p.m.  Jake wolfs it down in two gulps and will go after Bailey's if he can.  We have to keep 'em apart.  Bailey has much more genteel manners and likes to savour each lick.

Hiya Loppy, it wouldn't be so bad if he would have a saucer full, but the silly mutt wouldn't touch it unless he was spoonfed. He were fine with everything else. He lived to the ripe old age of 19, then alas the big C beat him and he had to be euthanized because he wouldn't have survived the surgery. Great dog though !

He could pull my son along when he was tied to his wheelchair!

• Like 1

Well.. while you lot were pandering to a load of entitled.. over priveleged animals..:dry:

I have finally finished wiring in a new  power socket .. with additional USB outlets.  A job which would have taken a qualified 'Sparks' a couple of hours, .. took me a lot longer.  But it works.. :biggrin:

• Like 1

For UK/EU based folks.. I can recommend 'FAGE', pronounced 'Fayeh' yoghurts.  They are 'Greek Style' and available in low fat and 5% versions in 500g or 1Kg tubs.

I like to have mine with a handful of Blueberries and the merest hint of Honey.  :)

Dogs may have different tastes.

Fage yoghurt is good and so is the yoghurt cake made with it.. 

A few years ago our dog Max was having feeding problems. He wouldn't touch his usual food and the only thing he ate voluntarily was yogurt. We took him to the vet after a few days and told her that the only thing he would eat was yogurt. She looked at me as though I'd said he only eats bird seed. " yogurt?" she repeated and I could tell she didn't believe me. She'd never heard of dogs eating such a thing. Even now when I'm eating it all the dogs love to lick the carton out and carry on licking even when there's non left. We no longer go to that vet.:victory:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We once had a German Shepherd called Tess, she had stomach problems and would have bouts of an upset stomach which used to gurgle and make the most perspiration noises. There is a name for it, something German Shepherds get, it just flared up every so often. When it did we had trouble getting her to eat anything at all but she needed to because this settled the condition down quicker. We found she would eventually have chicken soup (Heinz of course) and this would settle her stomach down.

We once saw an elderly vet when our usual vet was on holiday and Tess had diarrhoea. He didn’t give us anything just told us to starve her for a full day just water, but not cold water, then the second day nothing all day just a bit of yogurt at night. The third day yogurt and plain ice cream (he said the yogurt coated the stomach and the ice cream cooled it down), obviously not on the same dish. By this time she was so hungry she would have eaten anything. Next day the same but a bit of  bland food and then gradually bring her normal food back into her diet. Surprisingly it worked. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I let the chickens out for the first time yesterday. they were very tentative at first and kept going back into the wired run. They gradually built up confidence and foraged around, keeping close to their home. One of the cats attacked but put his brakes on when he realised how big several hens could become when startled. Then the other cat stalked up menacingly to the two Aurucanas, who stood their ground and stared him down. The cat sort of shrugged and stalked off with that bored look that only a cat can do. They returned to the coop without a problem, lured by some maggots left over from fishing.  Today they were far more confident when let out and followed me around the garden. Lovely creatures and quite funny. 

• Like 3

Had a lovely couple of days with one half of our family who came to Dorset to see us.   Our Czech daughter-in-law decided to drive with the kids to her homeland in early June, all the way with no overnight stop, 15 hours I think!  Very brave but a little crazy.  Our 7 year old granddaughter went to school over there for 2 or 3 weeks (something she couldn’t have done in England), our 18 year old step-grandson caught up with his Czech friends, skateboarding, cycling and partying, and to be honest they have had a more exciting and happy few weeks than they would have done if they’d stayed in this country.  The lad is fully fluent in Czech as he’s spent many school holidays over there with his grandparents and the little one is  able to go from English to Czech quite well.  
We spent time on the beach and had a very special catch-up, the first time we’ve seen them since Christmas, although we’ve seen our son a few times while they’ve been away, because he’s been a little lonely!!  
Must admit though that it wore us out ....... we really enjoyed having them here but quite happy they don’t live around the corner!  

• Like 4

My daughter had six but Mr Reynard thought that was four too many helped to reduce the number. As you say PP amusing creatures. Pity their scratching makes such a mess of the grass.

Daughter did her 1st day back @ work as part of her maternity leave, so we had little Ez for the day, stroll into town via Radford Rec park where my Mum took us when kids & I spent many hours with my kids, a right of passage.

Took a detour via Newcastle Terrace & the Park estate, stopped for a drink @ The Roundhouse, hour in the sun in Market Square, met Daughter after her shift, treated them to dinner in town, stroll home, Ez was good as gold, loved it. 

• Like 4

Just checked my Premium Bonds   for Aug    message  from PB (Sorry you did not win better luck next time)  message one day might change and say

""YOUR A MILLIONAIRE""

Yes your right Beekay  maybe have a fleet of race horse's  with trainers's of couse. Then i would look to buy a wood, you know what i mean the ones with trees in. Next if I had enough money left then I would buy one of the houses that was in Newstead Abbey grounds. Maybe by the time I become a  millionair some one might have invented a youth pill. 

Now not sure if a Million would be enough though. 

On 7/30/2020 at 7:29 PM, Brew said:

Be careful with light circuits and where you pick up the neutral...

Good point Jim.  I hadn't thought that through.. but I can assure you I always think long and hard about electrical stuff before actually doing the job.

So, I've checked out the switch in the dining room and it is literally that... just a switch wired with FT&E  ( and with no red tab on the black return.. :Shock:) So no easy access to the neutral.

However, on the other side of the wall from the dining room is the integral garage. There's a handy power socket there.  Would it be 'legal' for me to pick up power from that via a fused connection?

Otherwise I'm going to have to have a good look at the garage light fitting.. but I'd rather not disturb it as the garage ceiling is asbestos.

Shouldn't imagine you'd get much change Mary, if you bought a decent racehorse. Maybe you could get a Raleigh chopper instead to ride through your newly purchased wood. Possibly get a tent to camp in Newstead Abbey grounds.

• Like 1

If the dining room light is just a switch wire  (no neutral), the fitting or a lighting junction box is probably used in a 'loop in loop out' configuration, there are other ways but that is the most common. Finding and identifying  a neutral will be messy.

Using an appropriately fused spur unit from the power socket will be OK  done properly. Use 2.5mm  cable from the socket INTO the spur unit and 1 or 1.5 mm cable OUT to the light (assuming you're not taking 2.5 to the light).

Ensure the spur unit has a 5 (or less) fuse not a 13 amp... To be pedantic the spur unit should also be labelled to identify what it does and the fuse rating.

• Like 1

Our cats have now been relegated :happy: Top spot now goes to the chickens. They will stand no nonsense from the cats. Even our Jack Russell has had to back off. One hen tried to peck his nose today and he didn't like that. So a new order has been established within our animal collection. Queenie and Betty, the two Aurucanas are a fearsome duo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1