How's your day?

They're especially cute in the autumn when they've been scoffing fallen fruit and they fill the holes they've dug in the lawn with badger doo doo!  Still love them, though. Prefer anything to humans! :P

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Jill, not ALL humans are bad!  Many people do care for the flora and fauna in this world, and work towards making the earth a cleaner and more sustainable planet, albeit in a small way.  

Unfortunately there are big businesses,, which perhaps see things in a different way.  And of course there are lazy greedy individuals everywhere who are just out for what they can get for as little effort as possible.  

I've just re-read the last sentence and that actually applies to cats as well  :Shock:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Beekay said:

I read somewhere that boxing hares were normally females fighting over a fella. Never had anybody fighting over me though.

I have a ‘Google nest‘ in my bedroom. If you aren’t aware it’s a voice operated device connected to WiFi, ie “Hey google what’s the weather going to do Tomorrow” etc.

I have programed it with my name as ‘Darling’. So if I say hey google goodnight, I get a nice female voice saying goodnight darling. I do believe my wife is a tiny bit jealous. I recently overheard her plotting with my tech savvy grandson to change my Darling to ‘old man’

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Mary, horses come in stables, boats or cars etc, come in fleets, anyway my advice is go for it,  the feeling you get when your horse is first past the post is amazing. There are also the privileges you get at the meetings by being an owner, well, there are here.

Hi BK, There is a horse in racing here in SA called BEEOKAY makes me think of you everytime it runs

Hi Oz would love to own a race horse, but the nearest i have got to any race winner was after master and i married master's father was a race goer, and we went down to Newmarket. plus my uncle was on the gate, we went in best side thanks to my uncle. We waited for the horse's to parade around the ring, when they did start parading who should appear but the Queen, she gave us all a little wave then she was gone, (no not for tea an cake's) she had two horses running and she had come down to see them. My father in law told us to bet on both the Queen's horse's as seeing she had come to watch one at least would win. He was right one did come in first, can not remember what odd's it was though.  We still like to go to race meetings even though my father in law is no longer with us. 

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

He’s right. I’ve seen more foxes driving through Mapperley Park at night then I ever see here in the countryside.

Have they passed their driving test?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

We owned a leg of a racehorse once upon a time and went to Windsor to watch it come in nearly last.  I enjoy a little gamble now and again and have a Paddy Power account but haven’t let gambling get the better of me!   We used to go racing a lot years ago, but in the comfort of a box at the south-east racecourses, courtesy of the friend who persuaded us to invest in THAT LEG.  We had great times and met some really interesting and well-known people In the box, my favourite was the late George Martin, a lovely man, his missus was up her own though! 

• Like 1

Talking of racecourses, for a short while I used to drive a St. John's ambulance on a voluntary basis. On the odd occasions,  I used to be in attendance with ambulance on the course at Colwick racecourse. My job was, when the race started, I would have follow the runners on a parallel course round the track, between two designated points. I would sit with engine running until the horses were nearly level and then off I  went to the end of my section, then another vehicle took over and I went back to my start. The idea being, if a jockey took a tumble,I would be there to pick him up and take him to the first aid station. There was always about 4 blokes next to each of the fences.

• Like 1

Mary1947, Beekay and LizzieM

I hope you all manage a flutter on horses that manage to beat the ambulance home.

Seriously though, admiration to all involved in riding these magnificent animals, 60kph on a 600kg animal with a mind of its own and no brakes is a dangerous way to earn a living.You don't get a full sense of how fast, or how close they are together and how powerful they are until you stand on the running rail as they approach the winning post. You first hear the pounding hooves, the shouts of the jockeys and the breathing of the horses. We were regular race goers until covid 19 came around, it is just starting to open to spectators again but we are still being cautious. 

• Like 1

Hi Oz   did have a few rinding lessons and did enjoy it, Then my father became ill and mum needed us, as we were  at that time liveing  .at rhe coast,  We also like -to go to the race ..meeting's

Don't watch or like to see horses racing , I prefer to ride them. My riding days have long finished. When I was learning to jump over fences, I was doing quite nicely in the training ring until the horse started cantering a bit faster, took the jump then decided he'd had enough and wanted to go back to his stable. I couldn't stop him. Eventually did when someone stepped out and got hold of his bridle. Had a few falls but did enjoy riding.

The only riding I ever did was at a riding school that used be on Wollaton road, virtually opposite Glaisdale drive. Only went about three times though. That was when I was about 17, the only other riding before that was on pit ponies, when I were down Bestwood pit, as a ,' ganger,'.

I don't like horse racing either.  I'd gladly watch jockeys being forced to race with a horse on their back!  I've heard all the arguments about horses not racing unless they wanted to. I'm not convinced. To me, it's exploitation.

• Like 1

Is there anything you do like? Little sis. No meat, no dogs, no humans etc etc. Do you hug trees?  :rolleyes:

I have no interest in Horse racing at all,,,but would love to have rode horses,,,think they should replace cars.

Only rode them once,,back in 1970 ish up the mountains in Majorca....Always fancied mesen as a bit of a Cowboy and went for a days riding..........being leary i picked the biggest wildest looking Horse i could see,,,the Spaniard running the place kept saying ''no senor'' obviously i took no notice,,,and along with about 10 others Mounted and set off,,it soon became apparent that the Horse was as leary as me....it kept stopping and rearing up and 'neihing' (is that a word?).........Cut a long story short,,during our two or three hour ride it scared me to death,,setting off at Gallops and leaping over walls,,much to the amusement of the Spanish chap who warned me,,he kept riding alongside me and shouting the Horses name Andalucia,,which did slow it down a bit...twas quite an experience.

• Like 1

I live only a few miles from Southwell racecourse but have only been once, out of curiosity, in 58 years. It’s a corrupt sport with horses being held back to push up the odds and subsequently given their head. I do know a few racehorse owners and have got to know some of the tricks of the trade. I can’t really see the point of horses in this modern age. Around here young girls ride them on the roads and are a danger to themselves and the traffic. They also deposit their droppings on the road and they don’t clean them up as dog owners have to do.

• Like 1

on getting back to the hotel found i had two huge black blisters(you can guess where) had a good soak in bath to ease them a bit,,,still managed some slow dancing that night with a school Teacher from Huthwaite,,,she thought i was odd because i never sat down and stood propping the bar up all night,,trying to look cool....:rolleyes: when all i really needed was to rest my 'Ass' in cold water.......:crazy:

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

They also deposit their droppings on the road and they don’t clean them up

You're supposed to rush out, gather it up and put it on your rhubarb. I prefer custard on mine! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We had great times and met some really interesting and well-known people In the box, my favourite was the late George Martin, a lovely man, his missus was up her own though! 

The Beatles' producer ?

2 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You're supposed to rush out, gather it up and put it on your rhubarb. I prefer custard on mine! :rolleyes:

I just don’t see why dog owners can be fined for not collecting droppings when horses, who are more prolific, can get away with it. 

• Like 1

As a child, I've seen my grandfather hovering with a shovel whenever he heard the sound of Shipstone's horses heading up or down the road.  If there was any to be had, it was an undignified scramble as to whether he or Alf Smith next door got there first. Both fanatical gardeners and didn't like each other!