• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Just don't like the 21st century, much

I'm afraid there's very little we can do about that Jill. We just have to make do and do the best we can to improve our lot !

Also try and make a better world for those who follow us, although we're not a very good job at that. Take care.

Shouldn't use fresh horse manure on the garden, too much nitrogen in it. My dad use to collect it in sack and suspend in a tub of rainwater.

A bit like an infusion. Probably leave for a couple of weeks before use. Which explains why you see signs outside stables, saying " Well Rotted Manure".

There is a clown who turns up at Shipley Park with a horse box. Takes up 6 parking paces and the two horses always leave quite a pile on the ground. They could easily take it away but much prefer to leave it where people and kids are walking around. When challenged he said "it does no harm" and drove off. I'm with Mr Mayfield on this.

Not done much horse riding but did a mule ride down into Grand Canyon. 8 hours on a huge mule, I never thought my legs would get back together again! (no mucky comments, you lot)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Where I walk Kai there are stables nearby. Paths are like a minefield, luckily Kai doesn’t show any interest in the piles of horse droppings just a case of navigating him thru them so he doesn’t stand in it. He has very hairy feet, would be a nightmare if he did. My mum and dad had a dog, Sandy, he would roll in anything, had a few walks with him where he ended up very smelly.

I must admit I am with JS, don’t have a high opinion of most of the human race, with a few exceptions, so the escapades over the last few months have come as no great surprise. Much prefer my dogs, cats etc. 

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I just don’t see why dog owners can be fined for not collecting droppings when horses, who are more prolific, can get away with it. 

Horses don’t usually poo on pavements and they’re normally walking along country lanes which doesn’t affect too many pedestrians.  Mind you, the Notts Police horses were occasionally exercised around Mapperley Park, that was until they all got shipped off to Manchester Police and the Met. around 2012 because Notts were cutting costs. 
  We’ve always got several poo bags in our pockets when we take our dog out for a walk and I’m pleased that dog owners are threatened with a fine for not picking up, although too many people ignore that.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

I have no interest in Horse racing at all,,,but would love to have rode horses,,,think they should replace cars.

Only rode them once,,back in 1970 ish up the mountains in Majorca....Always fancied mesen as a bit of a Cowboy and went for a days riding..........being leary i picked the biggest wildest looking Horse i could see,,,the Spaniard running the place kept saying ''no senor'' obviously i took no notice,,,and along with about 10 others Mounted and set off,,it soon became apparent that the Horse was as leary as me....it kept stopping and rearing up and 'neihing' (is that a word?).........Cut a long story short,,during our two or three hour ride it scared me to death,,setting off at Gallops and leaping over walls,,much to the amusement of the Spanish chap who warned me,,he kept riding alongside me and shouting the Horses name Andalucia,,which did slow it down a bit...twas quite an experience.

Bet you were saddle sore Ben after 2-3 hrs first time on a horse

• Like 1
1 hour ago, katyjay said:

Not done much horse riding but did a mule ride down into Grand Canyon. 8 hours on a huge mule, I never thought my legs would get back together again! (no mucky comments, you lot)

I remember the feeling very well Kath:wacko:

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Horses don’t usually poo on pavements and they’re normally walking along country lanes which doesn’t affect too many pedestrians.  Mind you, the Notts Police horses were occasionally exercised around Mapperley Park, that was until they all got shipped off to Manchester Police and the Met. around 2012 because Notts were cutting costs. 
  We’ve always got several poo bags in our pockets when we take our dog out for a walk and I’m pleased that dog owners are threatened with a fine for not picking up, although too many people ignore that.  

There are few pavements round here so pedestrians have to walk in the road.

55 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Bet you were saddle sore Ben after 2-3 hrs first time on a horse

I sure was Nonna,,,think the 'Stirrups'' were too low,,and every time 'the horse landed after jumping my 'Crutch' pounded down into the 'Saddle''............not a bit like those gentle 'Donkeys' of my childhood in Skeggy.......lol

• Like 1

Many years ago, I worked with a lady who was a very keen gardener. Lived in a bungalow somewhere at Rise Park. She was getting on and only worked part time as her hubby was retired.

She ordered some manure from a stables and was horrified when she got home that evening to discover her well meaning but totally gardening-ignorant husband had mulched it all round her recently set out plants.  It was fresh manure and scorched the lot.

Dear old Jean wasn't one to suffer fools. I understood her to say she'd battered him with a spade and locked him out of the house for a couple of days.

I have never forgotten her comments to a young newly qualified solicitor who joined the firm and had a very exaggerated opinion of himself and his pulling power. "I couldn't fancy you, dear, if your tea set was hung with diamonds," she said.

She'd have been a challenge for Ben! :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I just don’t see why dog owners can be fined for not collecting droppings when horses, who are more prolific, can get away with it. 

There are no known toxic effects on people from exposure to horse manure.  Horses do not carry any of the many viruses and pathogens that are a risk to people from carnivores/omnivores.  If you were to eat horse manure, the pathogens that are there might cause belly ache, nothing worse.

• Like 1

Toxic or not it’s still offensive in great piles on the lanes. I wouldn’t like to tread in it and have no desire to eat it. I’ve lived in the countryside for 58 years. I’m not a complaining incomer; in fact we have owned and ridden horses and ponies for many years. All our horse droppings have been on our own land and have been regularly collected with a shovel and wheelbarrow to put on the heap for the garden.

• Like 1

It can be toxic to dogs though, horse worming tablets contain ivermectin which is toxic to certain breeds of dog. It is also not conducive to the good health of anyone with it on their shoes and walks on my carpets.

I'm not saying manure is beneficial to anything other than certain plants; just suggesting a reason why it is not an offence to leave it where it falls.

2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I'm not saying manure is beneficial to anything other than certain plants; just suggesting a reason why it is not an offence to leave it where it falls.

Quite right too, I’ve never been a horse rider but can imagine the problem of having to dismount on a lane or bridleway to collect the manure in a very large plastic bag, then carry it to the nearest bin.  

05.30 plants all watered and getting ready for a days fly fishing. Could be hot out there in a boat on Blithfield Res.

Had a great email from one of my 2 remaining first cousins. Not seen him for over 50 years, but arranging to visit his railway. He owns the tourists railway at Nene Park near Peterborough. Right - where's my fishing stuff?

A very sad start today. We watched an emergency helicopter landing on a piece of land opposite us. It landed at the side of a big house being built and we thought immediately that one of the builders had had an accident. Couldn't see much of what was happening as the site is on top of the hill and there is some building work going on around. Later my son came back to get changed for work and he said there were crowds round the house opposite. There were Carabinieri, ambulances, fire engines. Asl (welfare). We thought we knew what had happened and I checked with my neighbours as their son drives a tractor. The man that had died was driving a tractor and turning a corner on a slope the tractor overturned killing him outright. He was an 80 yr old farmer. Our neighbour said he was only talking to him last night as at ferrogosto they were all going out together.

Its so sad. Around here the roads are narrow and it's very hilly so tractors really have right of way but there's always some silly b$**er that thinks he can get through faster than what the tractor can. It's an agricultural area and we have to have patience when during the summer tractors are always around . There are no barriers at the side of the roads and in some areas it's a sheer drop. I know whenever we have visitors and I'm driving in these lanes that friends say they wouldn't like to have to drive in these lanes. That's why I'm always careful and I know these lanes very well.

Very sad story of the tractor driver, nonna.  Did you know him well?

i've just been outside to bring my washing in and I was burning my feet on the patio!   I had to keep hopping from one  foot to the other (I know... I should have been wearing something on my feet....).  I felt like one of those little lizards in the desert that keep lifting  their feet up  up alternately because the sand is so hot!

Last time i remember burning my feet like that was once on the sand at Chapel St Leonard's when I was very young.    

All you people who go on foreign holidays in hot countries will no doubt think I'm pathetic, but never mind.... perhaps I am :(