How's your day?

Just seen Mrs Wren, hopping about in the hedge after insects. Perhaps her feet are hot too!  The family are there, too, judging by the loud noise they're making. It's a good day for an insect take away. The Wren equivalent of fish n chips! :P

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Margie I too have the habit of going around bare foot especially to fetch the washing in. We face south so we have the sun all day from dawn to dusk. So unless I have shoes or flip flops handy I too burn my feet, but in this hot weather I can't stand shoes etc.

• Upvote 1

Did someone pinch his sunbed while he was chasing the boar?

I must say, the boar was far more aesthetically pleasing to look at than the big fat German!  Why on earth do people think anyone wants to look at a heap of wobbly, naked flesh?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

There’s an interesting ‘photo on the web of a German nudist chasing a wild boar who stole his laptop. 

I couldn't envisage how that could've happened, but now I know.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/07/german-nudist-chases-wild-boar-that-stole-laptop-berlin-teufelssee

Relaxing outside yesterday evening I noticed huge numbers of bats flying around. They're a bit of a rarity around here and it put me in mind of when I lived at the top of Woodborough Road when bats reached almost plague numbers one year ('72 - 73?). I also used to see a lot around the Grosvenor when I lived next door.

It seemed Nottingham was a sort of haven for bats then. Any updates on that?

We have lots round here in Cambridgeshire.  We often sit outside when it’s just got dark and watch them in our garden ... they are SO swift!!

I've stood gazing out of the window watching bats on several evenings in the last few weeks. You have to get the timing just right; they only appear for a few minutes. One minute it's still too light for them; a few minutes later it's too dark and they've gone. 

Most of the time it's a case of seeing a small black thing flit across your line of vision for half a second. On rare occasions they flutter more slowly and you can nearly see the classic bat shape. I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to stand outside and possibly be amongst them.

@Cliff Ton   If you stand in the garden and click your fingers they swerve towards you.  I don’t worry about them as they are only after flying insects

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, MargieH said:

@Cliff Ton   If you stand in the garden and click your fingers they swerve towards you.  I don’t worry about them as they are only after flying insects

I'll try that. Most evenings I stand outside at the front - there is a patch of ancient hedegrow by the front drive - and I usually see one (only one) tiny bat. As Cliff Ton says, timing has to be right.

It's a solitary bat, and tiny - would that be a pipistrelle? And why only one?

I'll let you know how the fimger-clicking goes

• Like 1

Lovely day today. up early and watered the plants and greenhouse. Collected French and runner beans and a few tomatoes, only one corgette. Let the hens out at 6.30. Breakfast, coffee and PC work until 9 when it was respectable to go outside again to start work and make a noise. Built the main frame for the coop extension that will give me 4 m2 of covered space for my personal roost. 4pm 2 fishing pals called and frog marched me to the pub (I lied). Wonderful dinner post pub then sat with the hens to enjoy my coffee. Who needs a holiday or TV?

• Like 3

Warm enough today.. (Saturday) but as ever, we were plagued with cloud. Somebody should tell those London based Weather Forecasters that it isn't 'cracking the flags' everywhere. 

Bit of gardening and a bit more progress on the DIY.

Lovely phone conversation with my beautiful Granddaughter Grace.  " It will be so lovely to see you again Grandad ".  and.. "Can I go hiking with you Grandad.. like Ben did?"  I was 'welling up' talking to her.  She even told me about how she's got a new backpack.. mostly for her holidays... but for 'Hiking' too.   I'm going to do my best to take her 'Hiking' up 'Billinge Mountain' and in search of the 'Legendary Lost Ice Cream Parlour' as soon as poss. She's Five.

Sadly both my daughters live within the bounds of Salford.  (The posh bits obviously.... :rolleyes:) ..so we aren't able to really visit due to renewed lockdown measures in Greater Manchester.

And finally today was our regular socially distanced Street Quiz... We know how to live up here.. :laugh:.

Mrs Col and I won.. for the third time in total and the second time running....  Sadly.. that means we have to come up with the next quiz....

...Bugger..... :(

Apropos of nothing.. I just found this:  What a wonderful lady.

Fab stuff....

And while it's in my mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfAHP5mAAOw

I was priveleged to meet this lady... Adelaide Hall. who worked with Duke Ellington in the 1920s and is known for 'Creole Love Call'.  She moved to the UK and I met her in Southport where she was on the same bill as my late Father in Law.. in an Old Time show. A very gracious but totally unpretentious Lady.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Hall

• Like 3

Not a good start to the day - went to let the hens out and discovered that 'Netty' had flown away. I forgot to replace the wire netting on the roof that is being built. She is a Forewerk breed noted for their flying abilities. Clipped wings if we get her back.

Shoulda got Emus PP, they won't fly away......Or perhaps rabbits.  :rolleyes:

( There's a bloke near us, breeds ostriches,  honest !)

• Like 1

Healthy meal today with veg picked fresh from the garden - spuds, runner beans, carrots, chard leaves and spinach.     They went very well with a beef casserole - yes I know it's a very hot day, but it was lovely!

• Like 1

I think hot meals are good on a warm day. We had a chicken curry on Friday. It makes you sweat and perspiration has a cooling effect. I’m beginning to find salads a bit insipid and much prefer a cooked meal. Lamb shanks for tonight’s dinner. It’s the first time in weeks that Morrison’s have been able to supply them and there’s plenty of mint in the herb bed. All to be washed down with a chilled Pinot Grigio. I may be a bit of a Philistine but my favourite meal is a thick pork chop with chips and baked beans and lots of HP sauce. No fine dining in this establishment! :biggrin:

More power to your elbow Phil. Each to his own, I reckon. (I've just finished water biscuits and cheese)!