How's your day?

1 hour ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I stripped a table saw I got for the "right price" yesterday and left the arbor/cradle assembly soaking with penetrating oil last night, they were almost frozen together. These parts support the saw blade and allow it to be raised and lowered in the cast iron table.

Still pretty stiff this morning, I didn't want to exert too much pressure on them as they are cast iron and almost impossible to replace these days.

The saw table is around 30 years old and high end, ie not a DIY'selfer saw table, more in the small commercial cabinet shop line.

Been working it back and forth today, got some movement, but needs tender love and care until it frees up.

Is it a Sears Craftsman 10" Tilting Arbor? If so I acquired one a few years ago. It had been lying in a mates garden for years and was going for scrap when he was moving house. I rescued and refurbished it. It's a brilliant piece if kit and I use it regularly.

Although it is 60 years old, the parts are still available.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

PP, I did wonder if you would escape the rain. :( Sorry you had to pack it in so early, but it's no fun if the rain is relentless. Take your bike sometime, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

It sure is PP, cast iron table and cast iron extensions, once set up these saws can be very accurate in their cuts, the rip fence was never that good with these saws, but as long as you use a ruler when ripping it does a reasonable job.

My 2HP saw I've had for over 30 years from brand new, but this freeby 3HP I'm hanging on to.

I've freed the spindle assembly, so tomorrow is degreasing day, then primer and paint job, then reassembly.

I also have a Sears Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw, 6 1/2" jointer, and I bought a used Sears shaping machine many years back at a good price. It has a 1/2" spindle as against the industry standard of 3/4" but what the heck, one can still get 1/2" spindle cutters, even carbide cutters.

These are all from an era when Sears tools had good reputations.

• Like 1

Internet went down did not find any reason why. Phoned tec team at plus net, wet though all details,then he told me to put a password in, which he said. So waiting paiently he then said "password 123?" ask him if he would please repeat. "Password123?" ok said I just before puuting in password 123? I had to ask  thats quite a long password is it correct. Then we both had a good laugh as it was only 123? that i had to type in the password space. What a silly/billy I am.

Any way we are now back with the land of the living.

BUT i think techknowledgey is leaving me behind. Went to doctors the other night and chippy was open so called for some fish/chips standing out of the way there was about 10 young people came in one at a time and guess what, they all paid with there phone. I felt very much out of it having to pay with my card.

12 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

10 young people came in one at a time and guess what, they all paid with there phone. I felt very much out of it having to pay with my card.

No chance with my supposedly smartphone Mary, it's as dumb as a stump and can't even remember to come with me when I go to the shops...

• Like 1

Paying by phone. Here it's spidipay  my daughter got it during lockdown, now my son has it but we don't. Must say it's very handy because you don't have to faff  about taking card out and paying either with contactless or otherwise then sometimes your pin escapes you. Your phone is nearly always with you for various things where sometimes wallet or purse isn't.

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in so many ways that i never imagined.....the last two years i have changed from very outgoing to very insular.....many things i used to take for granted (that we all do ) i can no longer do,,,and its simple things like making quick remarks that lead to nice conversations with friends and strangers alike.......plus physically i cant do the things i did before ,like lifting,,,can't drive on long journeys alone,,can't speak on the phone,,cant 'laugh out loud'', can't whisper sweet nothings to my beloved wife,,who has been on this journey with me,,and without her i would have never managed,,,.........Don't know what the future holds, but i'm just glad i'm still here,,to find out...........thanks for reading this,, was hard to say...........''have a nice day''

Edit....Also,,just like to thank the lovely members of Nottstalgia,,,for all the banter and friendship.....

• Like 18

I can't believe it's two years, Ben! Where does time disappear to?

You've done fantastically well and you still cheer the rest of us up! Not lost your sense of humour either.  You're an example to us all! :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Ben the thing that kept you going was the thought of all them Ladies out there who havent had the privilege of you chatting to them, keep it up mate. Reading of your exploits keeps me smiling. 

• Like 7

benj, I have been sitting here trying to find some words of comfort for you, I really want to say something but my mind is playing dumb. Your post has made me feel so sad, to read  that you  are not  feeling outgoing anymore. It must be very frustrating for you.

Since the day you joined NS, you have been such a positive and enthusiastic member. You have tickled us all with your tales and positive attitude to life, and having met you, found you just the same in real life. 

It's easy for anyone to not realise the implications of your life changing operation, if never been there ourselves, but please know that you are in our thoughts benj, and you are as charming on paper as in spoken words.

Love to both you and Donna, and I sincerely hope I haven't gushed too much. We all love ya benj.x

• Like 12

Ben, it's very difficult to know what to say, but I'm sad that so many things have changed for you.  Just to add that you brighten up NS, as you're the funniest person here (funny ha ha, that is, not funny peculiar, as we used to say as kids).

• Like 2

What a lovely lot you are,,,thank you for all your kind words...........getting ready to go into Bulwell...and you've made me put 'Anusol' on me Dentures instead of 'Polygrip''........lol

• Like 10

Beekay, that is something never considered, I would be constantly checking to see it was still there.  Aunties new toy is being delivered today accompanied by a very brave person who is going to show her how to use it.. With both of them wearing masks and any other safety measures needed I could probably sell tickets. If you don't hear from me for a few days I will be hiding in a dark cupboard till I recover.

My thoughts are with you Ben. Gotta admit, two weeks ago I were terrified but things are improving. As previously stated, there are people on here, who have more serious ailments which pale mine into insignificance. Very best wishes mate and my sincere respects. B.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

What a lovely lot you are,,,thank you for all your kind words...........getting ready to go into Bulwell...and you've made me put 'Anusol' on me Dentures instead of 'Polygrip''........lol

Shudder to think where the polygrip went.

• Like 9

These posts demonstrate two very important facts.

1.   We are all still here and able to read the posts here.

2.   We are all still here and able to make posts on here.

Long may that continue.

• Like 9

Checked my fuel gauge in my car this morning,  it was only a quarter full , so I filled it up. This made me think when did I last put any in it, my son said he did it in March for me at the start of the coronavirus problem,  so it appears I must of been following the guidelines and not going out much. No wonder fuel prices went down, no one is using much.

Ben, You may not be able to strike up conversations with strangers like you always did, and you must miss that so much, but with the power of the internet you can connect with us lot and still have the banter, and a laugh. We all love your memories from work and leisure, you have a fantastic memory for names, locations and dates, your op didn't take any of this away from you, thank goodness!

• Like 8

I keep a logbook on my truck, each fill up, date, odometer reading, cost and gallons, oil change date and service dates. Have done for years. Gives me an idea if somethings not working right. At present I'm getting around 17.7 miles per gallon, not bad for a full sized 5.5L pickup truck.

Although my old one could get 21mpg on long journey's and it had a 5.7l engine and five speed manual gearbox.

Ben,

Nobody knows how well or not so well you've coped because you've stayed cheerful and entertaining throughout.  

All I can do is reiterate what your mates on here have said, keep strong Ben, you've done so well up to now. 

• Like 4