• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Ben sorry you're feeling a bit like you can't do anything anymore like you used to but if it boils down none of us can do everything we used to. You have gone through a great deal but you keep lots of us amused and that counts as a lot of courage and damn you for interrupting my sweet nothings, chatting up ladies, laughing out loud and many other things . You still have your sense of humor and your sense of wanting to do things but can't. You have turned up trumps as they say.You never know there may be other things that you didn't realize you could do. Go for it Ben. Keep the stories coming.

• Like 3

Ben, unfortunately we will probably never meet but because of your lovely posts about your exploits work/ladies  and numerous other subjects I feel that I know a little about you. Even when you were visiting hospital you kept us all amused take good care of yourself and never stop posting.

• Like 1

Don't say never Gem, we, none of us know what the future holds. Once this dreadful pandemic is hopefully sorted, things can only improve. You could meet Ben on one of your wheelchair safaris. Who knows, I might even come up and paint one of your stools/chairs. I certainly would like to meet Ben, might even consider buying him a coffee in Weatherspoons. Always assuming I could get a bank loan. Hope you're reading this Ben. B.

• Like 3

No Gem,,never say never,,as BK says,,'none of us know what the future holds.............Plus i love your part of the country,,,worked up there quite a lot,,,used to stay in Morpeth,, even worked in ''Pity me''..........i would treat you to a great breakfast in Morpeth,,,this place was in the main street,,'..........in the evenings it was a dance venue,,and mornings it served a breakfast second to none,,can't recall what the place was called....Probably a Greggs now....

Just set a mouse trap in the pantry. The cats keep bringing them in.

They brought a Green Finch in yesterday morning. Such a beautiful bird. Then they had another one in the afternoon. They were playing with it on the lawn so I shooed them off and tried to rescue it, only for one of the hens to grab it and run off with the other 5 hens chasing. I rescued it a second time and it could fly a little, so I put it over the fence and hoped for the best.

The cats don't like being locked in the pantry so it has to be the trap baited with peanut butter. After the hen incident I remembered what my chicken breeder friend said about his chickens catching mice and eating them. Don't fancy putting 6 chickens in the pantry overnight though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Funnily enough PP I set some mouse traps in our booze cellar the other day, using peanut butter.  We’ve caught field mice in there before, hadn’t realised we’d got them until a few corks had been nibbled (a bottle of Taylor’s 1963 Port was so damaged it had leaked on the floor!) and then I spotted the teeny weeny droppings.  Anyway, I’d seen droppings recently so set the traps but no luck yet.   

• Like 1

We have bird feeders  that need filling everyday thanks to the Nutkin family. Being a lazy sod I usually leave a bag of sunflower hearts under an upside down planter, saves me trotting in and out the house. Yesterday moved the planter and little mouse ran out so took the seed back inside and removed his den. He must have complained to his big brother because this afternoon a rat made an appearance! Scouting round I think it's underneath next doors shed. Mice I can cope (ignore) with but ratty has an appointment with the council pest control I think.

• Like 1

I had a lot of trouble here with mice until I realised they were getting into the integral garage.. under the door.. and from there through pipework to the rest of the house.

Stopped 'em getting into the house but can't keep them out of the garage.. which is full of junk (the Wife's stuff)..and objects of historic importance (my stuff)

During my recent plumbing adventures in the garage.. I found No.2 Daughter's riding boots. Turned one over and a million Sunflower Seed husks fell out..along with much mouse poo.

They went in the bin.

Mrs Col collects fabric..by the cubic metre..  A box of the stuff sat on the landing for ages until I lost patience and stuck it in the garage.  It is now a box of shredded fabric and mouse poo.  The only bits untouched are man made fibres. Most of tht will also go in the bin.  It would all go in if I had my way.

• Like 1

Well today... Friday.. the recent Plumbing, Electrical and Decorating exertions caught up.  I woke up feeling rotten.  After an hour or so.. I realised it was.. yet again...all coming from my 'iffy' left ear. Headache.. problems focussing, dizziness and generally feeling crap. (It's a medical term...)  It mostly saeems to come from rolling around on the floor painting skirtings, or reaching and looking up high etc.  It triggers 'Benign Positional Vertigo'.. which is harmless enough.. but makes me feel rotten.

So.. did very little today.

Tomorrow is my big date with Granddaughter Grace who is sooo excited about going 'Hiking' with Grandad. :)

Wish us luck!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Tomorrow is my big date with Granddaughter Grace who is sooo excited about going 'Hiking' with Grandad

A sure and certain cure for most ailments!  Don't forget the ice cream... :rulez:

• Like 1

Not been on site for a couple of day's. Well had a quick look but not have had much time to post, just read your post "Ben" even though you have health problems you still give us a laugh, and that's what we all need with this virus going around. Maybe one date we will all be able to get together, like we used to,  miss our get-togethers love to you all xxxxxxx

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Brew said:

Don't forget the ice cream...

As with last Autumn when I took her older brother Ben on an 'adventure'.. the ultimate goal of the quest is to find the 'Legendary Lost Ice Cream Parlour' .. somewhere beyond the forbidding slopes of Billinge Mountain.. :biggrin:

• Like 4
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

..... the garage.. which is full of junk (the Wife's stuff)..and objects of historic importance (my stuff)

Same here, Col, but reversed!

• Like 1

We don't have any mouse problems in the house -  the cats sort them out in the garden.  I have a friend with 3 pet rats but they aren't a problem .... she occasionally brings them round here and they have a run around in my garden wearing little harnesses on leads!

• Like 2

I spotted a very small rodent in my study a few months ago. I immediately went to Screwfix and bought an electric mousetrap. I bought a jar of peanut butter on the way back. I set the the trap and forgot all about it for months. Only last week did I open it up to find a small mummified rodent. It must have originally been brought in by one of the cats.

• Like 1

At the end of the summer the field opposite has its last clip and by that time it's probably full of field mice. Soooo when I see they are going to mow , I close all the windows and doors. Fortunately we don't get them in the house very often but a few years ago I was getting something from my corner wall cupboard and noticed a few black spots on the bottom. Out came everything and in the top part of the cupboard was a mix of chewed paper and poo. Everything went in the bin and cupboard disinfected. Now I have everything in jars and Tupperware boxes. Don't fancy making a cake and mice falling out of the flour bag. ( enough with beetles in the flour, on another comment I made)

You just reminded me Phil of when we came to live here in ' 88 we bought a restaurant that catered for weddings. We had a huge cellar underneath the restaurant where everything was stored. We had a problem with mice so we bought a high frequency device to deter them. It really worked until we lent it to an ex neighbour of ours. We never got it back. When asked about it he said he couldn't find it. I can believe it as his cantina was so full of junk and wine vats. Anyway we didn't keep the place for long as we found some old records of previous owners which gave us reason for concern. So we made them " an offer they couldn't refuse" :rotfl:

24 minutes ago, MargieH said:

We don't have any mouse problems in the house -  the cats sort them out in the garden.  I have a friend with 3 pet rats but they aren't a problem .... she occasionally brings them round here and they have a run around in my garden wearing little harnesses on leads!

Hope they walked to heel Margie.

• Like 1