How's your day?

1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

Hope they walked to heel Margie.

They certainly DON’T walk to heel!  They rush all over the place and one slipped his harness at one point so we had to scrabble around in a pile of plant pots and other stuff to grab him....

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

When we lived in Hucknall we had 2 visitors, the members who know Hucknall it was on Long Hill Rise and our garden went up to the school field. Now one little mouse who came to visit, came up though the kitchen waste pipe, though the kitchen cupboards and made it's way to the lounge/front room and ran up and down the bay window sill. Never did meet this visitor all we used to find was his calling card. Filled up the hole leading to the waste pipe never did see him again.  Number 2 / One sunny spring day, saw a little mouse sitting on the patio, went to have a look and the little fellow sat there fast asleep in the warm sunshine, gave him a poke, he opened his eye's looked at me and closed them again. I presume this little fellow was a door mouse, just made sure that the cat from next door did not see him. after about an hour he went under my patio and was never seen again.

• Like 2

Having a bit of fun with mafia jokes. When we were still living in Nottingham Alex's aunt and uncle came to stay with us. The uncle looked like I imagined a typical mafioso to look like ( at least in films) At that time we used to go to eat at a country club outside Nottingham

( I  can't remember what it was called) but we decided to take these relations to eat there.

As we were regulars Alex decided to have a bit of fun and informed the staff that we were bringing a very important Italian , not exactly saying who he was but hinting who he was. Alex wanted to make  sure that the staff were very attentive and we were given a window table so Zio could see his chauffeur and any " inconvenience" that may turn up. All went very smoothly , Zio Rosolino played his part well and we all enjoyed ourselves. Got Zio back in the car and Alex went back to pay the bill and compliment the staff on their attentions and also gave them a huge tip letting them into the joke. Which backfired when we took a group of friends there for my birthday. The staff remembered and played quite a few jokes on our friends, only telling them after that it was their revenge.

• Like 1

I'm working right down at the bottom of my garden today in a wooded area which is quite dark, cool and with lots of trees. I keep it that way on purpose because it's full of wildlife but dear old Ivy has been getting a bit above herself and needs sorting.  Whilst I've been down there, I've seen robins, Blackbirds, wren, thrush, all kinds of wild birds and it's a delight to see them hopping about. Still quite a lot of nests around and possibly in use so I'm trying to be as unobtrusive as I can. Massive elder tree at the bottom of the garden and many berries this year. Don't think I'll be wine making, though!

I've been decidedly 'below par' for a few days..so.. although I don't usually take much notice of Bank Holidays.. being retired an' all.... today I plan on doing very little. I've prepped and bagged a couple of pounds of Runner Beans for the freezer.  That's enough exertion for one day...  ;)

We are presently smack in the middle of a small area of high pressure and as a result we have clear blue skies and almost no wind. It's not exactly tropical, but quite warm enough for a little 'al fresco' lounging.... presque au naturel.. as we say in these parts.:tanning:

It was here yesterday and Saturday.. but we have a brief interrlude before the rain returns.

Down-under, tomorrow is the first day of spring, only 22 days 'til the equinox. Then hopefully we will start to see the return of some warm weather. Having said that it was 25 on Saturday, not bad for the end of winter. Today was only 15 deg.

Oz.. it's not that often that we get 25 in Summer!!

47 years ago today one of my sons was born at City Hospital...........he was the first i actually saw....did'nt mean to,,it wasn't almost compulsory back then,,,...........I took the wife to Hospital about 1pm,,and went to leave when one of the Nurses said '''where are  you going?'''

To play football ''  i replied,,,told her ive got all the Kit,,even got the Ball'''............Got back to hospital about 5.30 and ,,,,walked in on the birth,,,

the game was in Basford,,,result Park Tavern United 2, Calverton colliery 2,,(Think it was Calverton) twas a good game and i scored,,,

• Like 4

Thanks Cliff ton,,,back then it wasn't normal to be at the Birth............anyway i attended several after.......with the  aid of 'Gas and Air''.......

• Like 2

Yesterday the temperature was 99F. First time it's been less than 100 in ages. Last Friday was day 50 of 110+ deg days, hottest 118. This would have to be the hottest summer, while we are stuck here.

• Like 1

Beautiful day here in the Grand Duchy...

Cloud building but less than yesterday and less wind.

Perfect for lazy lounging....

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Thanks Cliff ton,,,back then it wasn't normal to be at the Birth............anyway i attended several after.......with the  aid of 'Gas and Air''.......

I wasn't there for either of mine.  First one in Bulwell, second in Toronto.  I figured I'd be more of a hindrance than a help.  I think the Mrs. did too.  I was at work both times.  Saw 'em later in the day.

53 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Yesterday the temperature was 99F. First time it's been less than 100 in ages. Last Friday was day 50 of 110+ deg days, hottest 118. This would have to be the hottest summer, while we are stuck here.

So Kath you got your woolly undies out with that low temperature? Thank goodness ours has gone down . I love the hot weather it's the humidity I can't stand. Is it humid where you are?

Most of the year there is no humidity, but July and August is monsoon season and even though we have had little rain ( first rain since March, 2 days ago and it was wimpy) the humidity is up. Nothing like back east where the temps and humidity are about the same!  Roll on Fall.

• Like 2

We've been having very strange weather here - storms with some of the most spectacular lightning I've ever seen (previously, Venice held the lightning record for me) then hail with golf ball size pieces, then heat and heat and heat (I have no problems with that per se but the humidity was almost unbearable). Back to being what it should be now - balmy with gentle breezes, remnants of violent winds originating in Africa.

• Like 1

Hacked off....

More than 20 years ago I had a small entrance porch built onto the side of my house at the front. Since there's a fall of a foot or so down to the next property, this also necessitated a low retaining wall between me and next door.. out to the street boundary. That wall is only a brick or so above garden level on my side and is a max of about 18" on neighbour's side. Thing is, due to severe funding issues it was not finished at the time. It serves to retain the ground.. but that's all.

So... for 20 or probably more years there has been this unfinished wall...

Cut to neighbour. Although I get on generally very well with him and all others in our little 'close'.. this wall became an issue for him. He was at me constantly to get it finished.. though frankly it wasn't a priority for me in terms of spending.
Thing is.. he has a 'thing' about covering all fences and walls in his property with greenery. Heaven forfend that he should see so much as an exposed brick.. or bit of fence... (On which more later..)

Also.. the more he 'mithered'.. the more I dug my heels in and especially when he started telling me how HE would like to see the wall finished and even started proposing the sort of 'coping' or 'capping' he'd like to see.

One day.. in frustration I was forced to point out to him in no uncertain terms that it is MY wall! I also pointed out that there was nothing preventing him from growing whatever he liked ON HIS SIDE so that he didn't have to look at the offending structure..

Several years ago... he changed tack and said he was going to put a low trellis along the wall on his side and grow some shrubs. I didn't object.. but told him that a brickie would need access to the outside of the wall when it was being completed.. so as to finish the mortar properly and that this might require cutting back of his shrubs. "Oh.. of course.." He replied". Meanwhile.. he has always asked permission to come onto my front lawn to trim 'the hedge'. (Note.. it is not 'his' hedge.. it is now 'the' hedge...) I never refuse.. but note that he cuts back to his low trellisses.. but allowes the rest of his shrubs to overhang my side. I really don't mind that too much.. but he's given me 'ammo'.

Meanwhile... he started training a Cotoneaster up the side of my porch. Up MY brickwork... I complained to him that it drops berries onto my side which get trampled into my house... but he's deaf to that and even denies it. He hasn't fixed anything to my porch wall.. but I'm getting increasingly pissed off about that too. He can barely get past the bloody thing to get up the side of his own house and I have no idea what the roots are doing to MY foundations. When I queried why he was growing it his answer was that it "Has always been there".. which is bollocks. He either planted it. or more likely encouraged a 'bird sown' seedling.

So.. today I commenced negotiations with a brickie working next but one.. to get the wall finished.
Thinking neighbour would be pleased... I informed him of the impending works and pointed out that the Brickie would need access..
His first reaction. "I don't want anything killed!"
I told him nothing would be... but things would need cutting back. as we agreed.. I mean.. FFS.. we are talking a few common shrubs.. any or all of which could (though I'm not proposing this... yet..) be cut down to ground level and bounce back within a season.

"My trellis will have to be prised off the wall!"

When I enquired as to why..he explained that he'd plugged and screwed the damned stuff to MY wall!! At this point I walked away.. to avoid really losing it. I'd assumed he'd just 'planted' the trellis close to MY wall.

Summarising..

I accept he had a point about the unfinished wall.. but he had easy solutions within his grasp. Instead.. after quietly and persistently trying to get his own way..(as I've increasingly realised he does over everything).. he came up with his 'trellis' wheeze. Now I'm ready to finish the wall.. he wants to dictate how that's done too. I've been bloody seething all day..

So.. I have resolved to speak to him again tomorrow and present him with two options. 1. We sort this out amicably and he agrees to give some slack in the short term.. Or 2.. we resolve it via litigation...
I'm not fussed eitherway now as I've bent over backwards to be accommodating on this and other issues with him and have reached the end of my rope.

So.. does anyone have a view on my legal rights to demand 'Brickie Access' to MY wall? Does this come under the same statutes as 'party walls'?

Photo of current situation here. My house on left.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SMWyE5xCNGUeMYav7

Just found this....

Boundary wall. 

Slightly confusingly, the Act refers to a '...boundary wall, being a party fence wall...'. Technically, under the Act, a party fence wall can also be a boundary wall by the fact it sits on the boundary.  

In reality, a boundary wall can also sit on just one owner's land and define the boundary line. 

Where the wall is completely on your land, the outer face of the wall that faces the adjoining owner usually marks the boundary line. In these circumstances you are at liberty to do what you want as this is your wall and your neighbour has no right to touch it, not even to knock a nail in.  

:biggrin:

I would suggest very strongly that you sort this out between yourself. If you start legal action then even minor disputes like this can get very and I mean very costly. DO NOT GO DOWN THAT PATH. As far as I am aware you are entitled to trim away any growth from adjoining land that overhangs your land. Check on this and use it as a threat to get some compromise. Surely 2 adults can sort out this nonsense.