• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My understanding is that you are entitled to cut/ lop any overhanging growth from your neighbours garden, ie  trees, shrubs etc. But you must offer the cuttings back to your neighbour.

• Like 1

On a lighter note. 'How is my day'. Well, today the pair of us are celebrating our Emerald wedding anniversary, 55years, and we're bloody stuck in, self isolating. Can somebody nip round and throw a brick through the vicars window.:bighug:

• Like 5

I hope you’ll both enjoy your anniversary today.  I didn’t know that Emerald was for 55 years.   Our Emerald will be next year and coincidentally, my engagement ring is an emerald as well.   

• Like 2

Congratulations, Mr and Mrs Beekay! My father used to say that about the brick and the vicar's window! You were both married in the same church! May even have been the same vicar. If so, he's in the Isle of Wight now, which is where he came from.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I would suggest very strongly that you sort this out between yourself. If you start legal action then even minor disputes like this can get very and I mean very costly. DO NOT GO DOWN THAT PATH. As far as I am aware you are entitled to trim away any growth from adjoining land that overhangs your land. Check on this and use it as a threat to get some compromise. Surely 2 adults can sort out this nonsense.

Yes of course.. I have no real intention of getting into litigation.. but the hint might jog him along.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Two sure ways of losing money.

Going to court and losing

Going to court and winning!

See above.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

My understanding is that you are entitled to cut/ lop any overhanging growth from your neighbours garden, ie  trees, shrubs etc. But you must offer the cuttings back to your neighbour.

That's true.. but it doesn't solve the other issues like him screwing things to MY wall.  Also.. I've discovered since yesterday that the Cotoneaster he insists on growing up MY porch is quite possibly illegal.. as they are classed as  invasive under the same legislation which covers Japanese Knotweed etc. 

I think there's probably enough there to scare him into getting rid..whether or not it is officially an invasive species. If nothing else..he is very much a self-styled 'pillar of the community' and likes to be seen to 'do the right thing' . almost to the extent of tedium. There are similarities to 'Martin Bryce' in 'Ever Decreasing Circles'..and his wife is also called Anne... Best of all... the low hedge he created is of very similar stuff....possibly identical.. which he admitted to me yesterday he'd grown from lots of little cuttings.

'Hoist wth his own petard'.. methinks. ..  ;)

Beekay.. Congrats on the Emerald Anniversary!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

1. We sort this out amicably and he agrees to give some slack in the short term.. Or 2.. we resolve it via litigation...

Avoid litigation! The courts have seen some long, long  border disputes and the only winners are  lawyers.

I have in the past had similar disputes with my own and the rental properties, one lady even went 'legal' over three wooden panels. She must have spent a fortune on solicitors letters and stiil had to pay for the fence. She never speaks now when we see each other...

Look to your deeds for boundaries, party walls, access for maintenance and ownership etc. these are often defined there.

Be positive,  state what's going to happen and leave it with him. Give him enough notice to do something with his plants but apart from that the time for negotiations has gone.

With the forgoing proviso  just get on with it, remove the offending fastners and push the plants back far enough for the bricklayer - what's he going to do?

It is very easy for me to say damn him get on with it but at the end of the day you are the one who has to live next door.

• Like 1

It's an idea Jim but would just cost more and create maintenance issues. Most people on the development have low walls between or around what was originally built as 'open plan'.  I just want to take the wall up to around 'hip height' ..say approx 3 feet.. close to my front door. and then maybe to 18" for the rest of the run to the street boundary. It's what neighbour wanted all along. but now he's grown his jungle and attached his trellis to MY wall.. he's changed his tune.

I'll catch him later today and spell it out.  If he won't play I'll just do as Jim (Brew) suggests above.

But that's not really it Phil.  I've made clear above that we have been both neighbours and friends for years. It's only this issue which is causing friction and I don't want lasting animosity to result. I just want to find ways of working it all out.

Sounds like this is a common problem.

When I moved into this house fifteen years ago all the neighbors were new.  We agreed with the new neighbor on one side to go halves on the fence.  Everything was fine, they grew a bit of shrubbery on it.  I did staining on my side.  We paid half each on any maintenance issues.  A few years ago they left and new folks moved in.  We got along with them until recently when a section detached due to a warped post.  His wife started whining about her expensive plants it might fall on if "i" didn't fix it.

Time was, I would have done it but do to health condition I can't just now.  So I got a couple of estimates and showed them to him, saying at half each it will be  xxx dollars.  At which point she piped up,  "It's your fence"  To quote Al Read, "I thought right monkey!"

He agreed to pay half so the job was done.  I showed him the contaractor's bill and he paid half.  Then he said it's really your fence, it's on your side of the property line.  Not being a happy doggy I growled at him, then you can get your shrubbery off it.  They are rotting the wood.

That's where it stands right now.  I'm thinking he needs to sign a formal agreement that it is my fence.  I will then be willing to pay for repair or do it myself.  He wants the use of it but doesn't want to share the expense of it.  I told Mrs. L if he wants to be like that I can take the pesky thing down and he can build his own.  It's on my side of the line.

3 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

It's on my side of the line.

Pity you can't use Creosote now days LL, it would solve two problems in one go.

• Like 1

LL, are you going to get border guards and the occasional watch tower? Funny how things can run along swimmingly for years, then introduce a new element, ( new neighbour) to the equation  and things go belly up.

It's not nice and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

6 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

You were both married in the same church

But you don't know which church I got married at?

Thank you very much for those kind words Benjamin 1945. And all good wishes to you too.

Thanks to all for your greetings. Took the wife to Skegness for our 25th and playfully buried her in the sand.....Better go back and dig her up.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1