How's your day?

So have you sawn down the yew tree BEFORE you’ve had the permission?  Someone I know had a hefty fine for removing a tree which had a TPO.

I don’t believe in ‘sacred trees’ myself but always feel sad when any tree is cut down.  However, as it is for safety reasons then I reckon that’s OK!

i was once told that when a deep rooted tree is removed, the ground can rise because of excess water in the soil (water that the tree is no longer using)

don’t know if that is true...

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

No Margie. The yew tree has not been touched. I am removing the roots of a huge cherry tree that was felled a couple of months ago. It was dying and rotting from the core. Our Yew Tree is only 1.4 metres from our neighbours kitchen wall and whacks their roof when it's windy. The rules about a neighbour having the right to cut back overhanging branches are open to interpretation when the tree is protected (a TPO).

ps - I passed your intelligence test - took a couple of minutes to spot the trend ;)

• Like 1

My day like most lately is starting out badly in the sense that arthritic hand is driving me mad. It doesn't stop me from doing anything because I'll do it anyway but rather more slowly and painfully.. PP said that exercise is better for arthritis rather than sitting down. I agree but apart from waggling my fingers and wrist around what else can I do. I admit to myself and you that since lockdown my routine has completely changed. During that time I, like the rest got very bored, did my usual routine , jigsaws and baked cakes and biscuits ( I love baking) but unfortunately due to boredom I put on weight. Everyone tells me they don't think I have but when my clothes tell me the opposite I think I have to do something about it. My hand is painfull getting dressed, holding a pan or plate even trying to get out of bed to haul myself up. The support that our relief dr advised me to get hasn't been much use ( another € 50 wasted.) he told me no medication. The relief dr before him gave me some Etoricoxib for 5 days. They worked but then the pain returned, tried again and again. Now they don't work at all. Our usual dr has returned to work after an illness so hopefully I will be able to make an appointment.

Im going to try and eliminate some of the foods that are bad for arthrosis and try to exercise a bit more. We have some beautiful scenery around here but it's very hilly so until I get back into my routine of last year when I walked every morning and swam every afternoon, I will ease myself back into it. It turned cold for a few days so swimming was out of the question , then the pool developed an algae that took a few days to clean and clear ( more pain in my hand.) Yesterday my husband was telling me that some Germans who are staying at a house rental further down the road from us are still using their pool and they said the water is great. Last time I tested ours it was COLD but last night the temperature had increased so maybe this afternoon I will venture out to try and swim a bit.

Hope everyone has had a better day.

Sorry to hear of your pains and frustrations nonna.  It must be difficult for you.  Hope you’ll manage a swim today x

PP well done on the fb problem .....

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Learn to play the piano, Nonna! It's excellent, gentle exercise for the fingers and wrists. Enjoyable too!

I did learn play years ago but didn't carry on with it now I regret it but don't have a piano.

Just sat down to my lunch , 2 cannelloni that were the last two from freezer. I'm just starting to eat a vanilla peach, but having problems holding them. My own fault as I've emptied and sorted out 2 high cupboards. Won't do that again. Appointment Monday with dr, couldn't get one before then.

An excercise regime for nonna:

Begin with a five-pound potato bag in each hand.

Extend your arms straight out from your sides, hold them there for a full minute, and then relax.

After a few weeks, move up to ten-pound potato bags.

Then try 50-pound potato bags, and eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-pound potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

Once you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

• Like 5

An excercise regime for anyone: 

Strip off and face a full length mirror. Jump up and down repeatedly and note all the floppy/dangly bits that are not designed to be floppy or to dangle. It is advisable to support the allowable floppy/dangly bits for prolonged sessions. 45 minutes per day is recommended and stick at it until the undesirable floppy/dangly bits firm up or until the floor caves in.

• Like 3

As a lot know on here I am not at my best when it comes to evicting spiders at all. I did manage to evict a medium to large one a couple of days ago as usual into my neighbours garden, or so I thought.

This afternoon there was a small to medium one sunning himself/herself on the window ledge in my side room and an enormous one on the wall. That one had really long legs and was sort of waving them around especially the very long 2 front ones, possibly dirty dancing? I decided to tackle the smaller one first, bigger one needed building up to. 
I managed to sneak up on it and got it into my plastic beaker quite easily but then suddenly realised the one I thought I had released a couple of days ago was actually still in the said beaker, cheeky b*****r had even had a halfhearted attempt to spin a somewhat ramshackle web and I had just thrown a smaller spider in with it.
I ran into the kitchen, don’t have a clue why as the open door to the back garden was just as close, and as I didn’t really want an act of cannabilism (spelling) in my house I shook both spiders onto the floor. I then realised I now had 2 spiders loose in my kitchen, both going in different directions at the speed of light. With my lightening reflexes (I wish) I put the plastic beaker over the bigger one and picked up something to put over the other smaller one (it turned out to be the dogs bowl) but it scooted under my washing machine before I could get to it. Looking at the bowl I thought I might have to use this for the enormous one on the wall in the other room. 
The medium to large one is now, definitely, in next doors garden. 
I decided to tackle the enormous one, hoping the small to medium one might come out and have a wander round it’s new gaff giving me a chance to evict it. The enormous one was still waving its legs about, but it did make it a bit easier to get him into the beaker without trapping its legs. Unfortunately after I got it into the beaker it suddenly popped to the top with said waving legs nearly touching my fingers. So did I make a frantic dash for the back door to be rid of him ...... nope I threw the beaker on the floor. (At least this was in my side room and not the kitchen.) The spider landed on all 8 legs, bit like a cat, and started to run I managed to get the beaker in his way and finally got him in it properly. He now resides in the ivy at the very top of my garden.

I have been sitting in my kitchen all afternoon, with my trusty beaker at the ready, in case the one under my washing machine makes an appearance. Just hope it doesn’t grow into a monster whilst it is there. 

• Like 7

I tried Brews potato bag exercise but found it much easier with a crisp packet in each hand, that way you could stand all day with no problem. Were even better if you ate the crisps first. (Made sure I had me Nitrolingual spray with me).

• Like 1

I never had this problem with spiders in my old house in Doncaster and I swear they are bigger here as well. As I have said before they make me shudder but I don’t kill them just evict them as quickly as possible. I am getting a bit better with the smaller ones but the really big ones still make me dither. 
The washing machine one hasn’t appeared yet today, don’t want to think about where it might have wandered during the night. I really need to find a spider catcher that keeps me at least 2’ away from them at all times!

• Like 1

No Phil, not anywhere near as much womanising. My wife wouldn't let me.

It used to be said that in Nottingham, there is 6 women to every one man. After 32 years, I'm still looking for my other five !