How's your day?

DJ  I've just seen this post about you have problems with your back , I can sympathize. I had problems for years but mine problem was hereditary. I lean to one side but it was very obvious but eventually sclerosis crept in and last year had an op to correct it. It was the best thing I did, I feel so much different. Hope it doesn't get worse so take it easy and do what the doc tells you.

My husband had 2 slipped discs years ago and I remember I had to help him walk to the bathroom. Sometimes he couldn't even do that. He had to sit in a chair and I would drag him from room to room. It's a good job we have tiles, a carpet would have been impossible.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I jumped out of bed this morning in my usual lively way, had a cup of tea then fell asleep on the sofa.

ps after going on nottstliga.

Are you saying that going on Nottstalgia actually drives you to sleep? Maybe somebody ought to advise the Insomnia society, they'd pay a fortune for the recipe. Cheers Mary, take care.

• Like 1

Jill.....I don't think he was being nice to Bailey.   Just couldn't carry two in his mouth at the same time.   I was afraid that even if I'd got it I'd have ended up with nis teeth in my hand before I could move away.   I was also afraid that if I didn't put a stop to it he'd run inside and proceed to tear it to bits in the house.   He's usually so friendly we forget he's a natural born hunter and will not give up prey without a fight.

Edited to add.   'Loopy!!!'  Nonna.  I may be one brick short of a load, but Loopy.  :biggrin:     We'll just blame your Ipad.

• Like 1

Yes, we tend to forget that they have a wild side and aren't furry, domesticated pets all the time. We are much the same, I suppose, if others try to take what is ours from us. We're animals too. No better than the others and undoubtedly much more dangerous and destructive.

• Like 2

Meanwhile back on the joys of packaging  .....  and product from a certain Asian country.

Her indoors decided that I should change the handles on the vanity in the bathroom. "no probs" said I. After checking the spacing of the mounting holes headed of to the local hardware emporium. Having selected some suitable handles found that they came in packs of 4 and 6 and as I needed 5 of course I purchased the pack with six in it and heads off home. After using some substantial scissors to get into the packaging I found that the handles were screwed to a thin fibreboard sheet with screws that had a head that was like a Phillips screw but only had three points, a bit like a Mercedes star. Off to the shed to get my screwdriver set with about 64 variations of heads and found one that fitted. Then I pulled out the little bag that had the mounting screws in it and before I opened it I thought that does not look like enough screws and on counting them sure enough there was only 8, enough for the 4 pack, obviously packaged in error. I thought I won't drive back to the store I'll just use one of the existing screws, guess what a different size. Off to the shed again to see if I had got one the same size but no luck. Threw all the stuff in a bag and headed back to the store, the lady at the returns counter was quite nice and went to get a replacement, before I left I asked if I could open the pack and check if it was OK and guess what, not enough screws another pack, the last pack on the shelf revealed the same thing. Using her initiative she gave me one of the bags of screws from the other packs and I left for home. I then found that the break off notches in the screws were either too short or  too long so I had to cut the screws through the thread and file the end of the screw to get it to fit freely in the handle.

All in all a job that should have taken 1 hour took all morning.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Loppy I'm so sorry it wasn't intentional. Must say to myself. Loppy, Loppy, Loppy, NOT  Loopy.

Just checked it came up loopy so it's iPads fault not mine, but sorry all the same.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Loppy I'm so sorry it wasn't intentional. Must say to myself. Loppy, Loppy, Loppy, NOT  Loopy.

Just checked it came up loopy so it's iPads fault not mine, but sorry all the same.

No problem Nonna.   :)

There are many days, loopy would be a far more appropriate name to call me.  ;)

• Like 1

I have just brought a new book from charity shop one of Jodi Picoult called Second Glance and inside a little thought that I would like to share with you all. Some of you or all of you might have heard it before.

Thought or the Day

What if you slept?

And what if in youe sleep, you dreamed?

And what if in your dream, you went to heven

and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower?

And what if, when you woke,you had the flower in your hand?

AH! WHAT THEN?               Samuel - Taylor Coleridge.

• Like 1

Slight change of topic for a moment. Had a phone call with the results of my Echocardiogram that I had a couple of weeks ago. My rehab nurse said the result was excellent! The reading was 65% which equates to a normal healthy person. It's very reassuring and encouraging. So it made my day.

Now back to the thread...

• Like 7

BK. So glad your results were considered excellent.  You can put your name down for the Lewis Marathon now!

Mary, I like the idea of holding a flower. from heaven ....but perhaps he was ‘under the influence’ when he wrote it?

Coleridge was widely known to have been a regular user of opium as a relaxant, analgesic, antidepressant, and treatment for numerous health concerns. Kubla Khan was apparently written under the drug's influence, but the degree to which he used the drugas a creative enhancement is not clear.

• Like 1

Margie, Lewis is up Compos way. I live near Lewes, (4miles). My rehab  nurse won't allow me to walk to our post office yet and that's only about a mile. She wants me to walk with a bit more effort to increase my pulse rate but not overdo it.

• Like 1

BK I know which Lewes/Lewis you live in but the predictive text on here knows better apparently.

You  could still WALK a Marathon over a few months, though- there’s a nice green area in front of your house isn’t there.

I’ve read some of his work and only the other night there was a dramatised version of Chistabel on Radio 4. Interesting ideas but ultimately I thought it was rubbish. In later life he was off his head on opium much of the time apparently. I think I have my mums copy of Kubla Khan somewhere.

edit. Didn’t see MargieH’s post before I wrote this. 

• Upvote 1

In those days, it was simple enough to purchase such substances from the local chemist. Branwell Bronte caused mayhem in Haworth between his visits to the chemist and The Black Bull! However, there is a theory that he wrote some of the wilder passages of Wuthering Heights. It's a messy novel and I could easily believe it is the work of more than one person.

Thank goodness he couldn't get hold of any mescal!

Was Lewis Carroll   on drugs when he wrote "Alice in Wonderland"  ?

Mary, There are conflicting opinions on whether he was taking drugs when he wrote Alice ... I’ve just googled it.  I suppose we’ll never know.  I never liked it because I thought it was strange and scary

28 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Was Lewis Carroll   on drugs when he wrote "Alice in Wonderland"  ?

No but I reckon the mad hatter woz ! ( Johnny Depp version).

I'm off to bed now. Good night all and God Bless.

• Like 1

Been laying 14m squared of turf in the rain.  It was an irregular area so not straightforward at all - some parts are like a jigsaw!  Good job it’s not a carpet or the pile would be going all ways.  It’s a different colour to what we have already but I expect in time it will all sort of blend in.   I had the easier job which was instructing Paul where it needed to go and the right curve etc. He cut it with a saw where necessary and that worked really well.  I had prepared all the ground previously by raking and lightly standing on it so I haven’t been totally idle.  
So it’s more lawn for Paul to mow and less flowerbed for me to weed.  Good result all round ...

• Like 3