• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

@ Margie. You shouldn't have to worry too much about having to keep the new turf watered.. at least not if it's anything like here. Non stop pouring rain all day and not much let up tomorrow..

• Like 1

Same here . It had been raining for 3 days non stop, now the sun has been shining for the last 2 days. The border between France and Italy ( not too far from us) is a disaster with landslides , floods, people swept away and still missing . A whole street full of shops has been wiped out. The rain here frightens me. During the summer the land dries out and come the rain it doesn't fall gently it comes down in buckets. Plus there's been very high winds up to 120 km hr. The other night dropping off to sleep there was a very loud thud as though it was a sack of soil being dropped from a height. It wasn't til the next morning that we saw what it was. One half of a shutter had been forced from its locked position and closed and locked onto the window sill. The wind was whistling all night. Now as we have various exits from where we live to get to the village centre, there are some that have mud covering the roads. Others are closed because they are renewing them especially in the main square area where there are a few shops. The village is divided into two, the old where we are ( called the historic centre) and the new.

The only safe way to get into the centre is by a lane that is all but vertical. Ok to descend but wouldn't attempt to get up to the top and have to do a steep hill start onto the main road.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Light rain here but very overcast.  No wind - can't see any trees or bushes moving at all.  Just right for our new turf :).

Looks like it may be a day to stay inside!  (As usual)

Very similar situation as nonna. Huge amounts of rain and wind and floods down towards the coastline. Le BsL ,where I live, is quite elevated (300+ metres) so if we were flooded there's not much hope for people nearer sea level.

Down here in the Costa del South Coast, it's raining, windy and bloody freezing. Just had a brass monkey at my door asking if I knew of a welder or blacksmiths shop. Just wondering if we are gonna get a Red Cross food parcel and blood plasma drop to sustain us.

Cloudy with sunny intervals here.  Probably a few showers about too.  Just picked a few more outdoor Toms. 'Crimson Crush' a very very tasty variety which haven't done too badly up against the back (South Facing) wall of the house.  Dobies tried to kill them first by posting them in completely inadequate packaging.. then the weather had a go at them and they survived that too.  Recommended!

Also just picked another 1lb 4 oz. of runner beans.  Still more to come.. Not bad considering the hammering they've taken from the weather this year..

Off for a walk up the hill in a few minutes. See if I can be a bit more lively about it than last time.

• Like 1

So.. a couple of years ago I bought new specs.  I've worn specs since I was five or six, so I don't skimp on them. I have to wear them all day from waking to sleeping.. so they need to be comfortable and effective.

So... the last lot I bought weren't cheap. (Several hundred quid I think..) As I recall the first pair were expensive, but the second pair were half price. so several hunderd quid over 2.

Anyway.. yesterday I realised that some spray 'stain stop' I'd been using on walls had landed in a 'blob' on the right eye of my fave pair of specs. When I tried to get it off.. it brought with it the coating on the lens. I suppose I could try to ignore it.. but I can see it.. and once seen....

So.. I called Boots. where I got the specs.

"We can't replace the old lens, because you are overdue for a test".

"Thanks for the advice but I don't want another test.. I want a repair."

"But we can't authorise a repair unless the Optician agrees."

"But I'm being monitored by the hospital for Pigment Dispersion Syndrome and they've cancelled my appointment due to Covid.. so I'm not changing my prescription until advised by them..

"But you need an appointment and a test"

"Err.. no.. you do not tell me what to do.. you can advise me, but you do not instruct me. Either you repair my specs, or I go elsewhere."

"We'll call you back"

..later..

"The optician is happy for you to get replacement lenses.. that will be £394.."

" HOW MUCH?!?!?"

Anyway it turns out that because I have extra thin lenses, coated lenses, 'transitions lenses' and varifocals.. they are expensive. And they can't replace just one lens because they may not be able to match the tint and coating so I need both....

I've explored a few other options.. but I'm sort of thinking it may be cheaper to just go for this rip off. and never use Boots again.

What does he team think?

Your lenses Col, if i understand you correctly, have the coating damaged not the actual surface so two options. Have them reglazed or remove the coating completely until you're due a new pair.

As far as I know opticians won't or can't recoat lenses.

There are quite a few online sites offering reglazing I don't doubt you've looked at but the questions is do you trust them to get it right?

You say they're extra thin, which simply means you chose a high index material, maybe choosing something less exoctic will reduced the price?

Personally I'd shop around until all avenues were exhausted. And I agree, opticians are daylight robbery when you compare prices in other countries.

• Like 1

I've used Specsavers for years and have been highly satisfied with them. My lenses are coated anti scratch, transitions, (reactolight,)

Being diabetic, a careful check is made each visit and I also attend Lewes hospital for diabetic retinopathy. When a prescription change is called for, I get normal distancing plus a pair of reading glasses, (these don't warrant transitions, just anti scratch). I choose plastic rather than glass as these are lighter to wear. I can even use my existing frames when changing, (although I realise they can't guarantee the frames as new).

Don't suppose this helps but good luck Col.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

If you've got a prescription try Spex for Less. Very cheap prices.

Morning Phil, can I respectfully ask, when buying on line/post, how can you be sure if the frames are going to fit? When I go to pick up new specs I sometimes require adjustment by the assistant to get a good fit. Would you have to send specs back via post, if, for example they were loose or the arms didn't fit over the ears etc.?

You take a pair that already fits and find a frame on their site to similar specifications. Any minor adjustments you can make yourself. I just get a prescription (free) and buy them on line. I’ve done it for some time and have always been very happy - especially with the price! High St.opticians are a complete rip-off but they are slowly coming into line with the online merchants to stay in business!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

So.. a couple of years ago I bought new specs.  I've worn specs since I was five or six, so I don't skimp on them. I have to wear them all day from waking to sleeping.. so they need to be comfortable and effective.

So... the last lot I bought weren't cheap. (Several hundred quid I think..) As I recall the first pair were expensive, but the second pair were half price. so several hunderd quid over 2.

Anyway.. yesterday I realised that some spray 'stain stop' I'd been using on walls had landed in a 'blob' on the right eye of my fave pair of specs. When I tried to get it off.. it brought with it the coating on the lens. I suppose I could try to ignore it.. but I can see it.. and once seen....

So.. I called Boots. where I got the specs.

"We can't replace the old lens, because you are overdue for a test".

"Thanks for the advice but I don't want another test.. I want a repair."

"But we can't authorise a repair unless the Optician agrees."

"But I'm being monitored by the hospital for Pigment Dispersion Syndrome and they've cancelled my appointment due to Covid.. so I'm not changing my prescription until advised by them..

"But you need an appointment and a test"

"Err.. no.. you do not tell me what to do.. you can advise me, but you do not instruct me. Either you repair my specs, or I go elsewhere."

"We'll call you back"

..later..

"The optician is happy for you to get replacement lenses.. that will be £394.."

" HOW MUCH?!?!?"

Anyway it turns out that because I have extra thin lenses, coated lenses, 'transitions lenses' and varifocals.. they are expensive. And they can't replace just one lens because they may not be able to match the tint and coating so I need both....

I've explored a few other options.. but I'm sort of thinking it may be cheaper to just go for this rip off. and never use Boots again.

What does he team think?

DJ wish I could get glasses for that price £ 200 for 2 pairs is brilliant. Years ago more than 20 my 2 pairs of glasses cost me £ 700 in U.K.. at Dolland and Aitchison, in Vic centre.

Here for my last pair I spent almost € 600 but I've never seen anyone else with similar ones. Once visiting my mum someone stopped me to ask where I'd got them from , " they are so unusual". I'm almost due for another test but think I'll wait a bit. Before these I had a pair that were even more unusual but after a while I got fed up with them. Fortunately the lens ( zeiss) fit the new ones.  I'm saving the others for sunglasses next year. 

This is where the on line sellers are coming to the fore. For years we’ve been ripped of by the high st. merchants. Even Specsavers are more expensive. A prescription is all you need. You don’t have to buy from where you get your eyes tested. Their prices will become realistic now they know they have competition.

Online sellers are prone to cherry picking, if you require a complex  prescription they don't do them.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

This is where the on line sellers are coming to the fore. For years we’ve been ripped of by the high st. merchants. Even Specsavers are more expensive. A prescription is all you need. You don’t have to buy from where you get your eyes tested. Their prices will become realistic now they know they have competition.

Well, don't hold you breath. Up to the eighties opticians charged an arm and a leg for glasses because the had a monopoly under the Opticians Act. Operators like Specsavers and Vision Express came on the market with cheap frames and took over old established independent opticians. What did they do next?

Put all the bloody prices back up again!   

• Like 2

I had new glasses last year from Boots Castle BLvd, used to be Dollands.

Transitions, anti scratch, Varifocals, plastic lenses ground to correct astigmatism (oval vision) Brownish painted metal sprung arm frames.

£390 ish after 25% over 60's discount, (on all the time not an offer).

Col, I bet there's no discount on lenses only, you'd probably get frames and lenses for the same price as those lenses only.

I personally wouldn't use online as Boots mark eye centres on the new frames and test where I want the Varifocal cut off .