How's your day?

My day or afternoon seemed to be like a quick tour before arriving at the clinic for my injection. Leaving the house we travelled along the Motorway towards Barolo ( yes it's wine but also a town ) then passing through Santa Margherita where the film " The secret of Santa Margherita" was made starring Anthony Quinn and seeing the hills at Cinzano where the locals hid their wine from the Germans during WW 2. From there we entered Pollenzo and the walled property which belonged to the famous King of Italy. Tour more or less over before we passed through flat areas and arrived at our destination at Savigliano. Waited for a while before I was called in and dr gave me the injection into my wrist. Did you hear me scream? Well not quite but I'm glad it was the last one. Paid my € 60 and went downstairs where my husband was waiting in the car as he wasn't allowed in with me. " I'm waiting for the breakdown service they'll be here in 1/2 hr." Apparently he'd been trying to fix the car radio as the radio and CD player weren't working and the time etc was anything to what it should be. But he must have touched something as he couldn't get the car started. Anyway the car was started with jump leads and we had no more problems with it and got back home in reverse order so it wasn't quite so nice to look at. 

Might be boring to some but we do live in a lovely area with a lot of history and I enjoyed the 3/4 hr drive more than waiting at home wondering what I could do next. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

No but I always have my phone with me. It was where I saw the hot air balloon 2 weeks ago .These places are close to home and I've seen them many times. Especially Cinzano, there used to be a small zoo there so it was always a place to go to when the children were small when we were on holiday. The walled property of the King of Italy seems to go on forever and all you can see is the wall and gatehouse. But thinking about it yesterday whilst traveling although there were too many lorries on one lane it gave me a chance to think as a tourist. There are so many places here of interest as it's the area for truffles and well known wines. The thing that spoilt  it was travelling in one part before we got to Cinzano, was a factory that makes Gelatine. The smell for what seems a long time in reality is just a few seconds. It's really disgusting and smells like rotting cabbage. I feel sorry for the few residents around there and goodness knows what the employees clothes smell like. They make stock cubes and due to the smell I don't use them anymore. But they were handy.

• Like 1

Maybe , I don't know . I passed this factory many times passing very quickly and always known it as them making stock cubes. I can do a search on it to find out a bit more.

I think it was Nottingham Hide, Skin and Fat on Trent Lane and Bitterlings on nearby Freeth St. off Meadow Lane. They emitted a disgusting characteristic smell. I believe Bitterlings moved to Stoke Lane and the smell went with them. There’s no smell emanating from that region now, even the nearby sewage works doesn’t pong. Here in the Trent Valley we do get an occasional whiff from the Newark sugar beet factory if the wind’s blowing this way but it’s not grossly offensive. There is often a smell from the Newark sewage works when driving on the bypass towards Lincoln and there are regular complaints from nearby residents about this.

When I were a Park ranger at Holme Pierrpont, I recall a terrible smell emanating from across the Trent in the Colwick area. I mentioned it to the other ranger who was with me and he said, " Oh that's coming from the maggot farm. They're cleaning out the pens".

A maggot factory used to be at Elston Hall near Syerston, just off the old Fosse. It became a restaurant, The Coeur de Lion, and is now a heath and beauty spa but we still know it as the the maggot factory. If some of the ladies having a massage there knew the history they might go elsewhere!

There was a maggot factory at the end of Mile End Rd. It was an, errrr... interesting night when we had a HV fault at their premises

So I wasn't imagining it after all. Apparently,  the maggots were fed on chicken carcasses, among other things.

I don't think coarse fishing is as popular as it once was. Round here there used to be coachloads of fishermen at weekends taking part in competions along the Trent. Now you just see a few solitary figures. I don't know if they still use maggots, I've caught fish easily with bread balls years ago.

I've just checked and find that you can buy maggots online in various colours for next day delivery!

I've read that the guy who came up with coloured maggets made himself a millionaire... after he retired from business and was already a very rich man. Some poeple just a have a talent for making money...

I heard it was always referred to as a "Maggot Farm" Jonab. Used to stink awful when we (were on patrol at the water sports centre.(the farm that is, not us).

As an aside, we once had a fella rushed to the rangers asking if anyone had a camera. When asked why, he told us his mate had caught a 26lb pike and he wanted proof before releasing it. He was fishing in the finger ponds at the back of the ski lagoon. We went down there with camera and my mate took about four photos and the bloke asked if he could buy the film, (no digital then) my mate said it was a new film and he'd only taken about six photos and when they were developed, he would send the bloke his shots.... The angler offered him £25.for the film. My mate snapped his hand off. The film only cost about two quid.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, nonnaB said:

) then passing through Santa Margherita where the film " The secret of Santa Margherita" was made starring Anthony Quinn.

We have so many villages round here with Saints names including where we live but it wasn't Santa Margherita the other day it was Santa Vittoria. Where the film the secret of Santa Vittoria was made.

Margie the smell from the factory where we passed is apparently famous for its products including products used in cosmetics ( :Shock:) and industries. It's called Italgel if you want to look, but maybe not!!

• Upvote 1

On the BBC they were driving them on the road between the tram tracks. Are there any cycle tracks in the city?

Just checked...

'As part of the response to Covid-19, the Department for Transport (DfT) has made changes that allow these e-scooters to be used on public roads, using the same road space as cyclists. These changes only apply to DfT-approved schemes. It is still illegal to ride any other e-scooter on public roads'

They're based at both universities and in the city center. Who's gonna push them all the way to Castle Blvd just to have a go...

They should ask Budapest how it's done, they have hundreds of 'em.

Yesterday was a bit of a pain?  

I have lived in Jacksdale 10 years now (well someone has to)  and since being here I have always taken my car to our local Gararge. unlless car was under warranty. Well as far i as know Paul and his dad owned the garage Paul machanic  and his dad used to do the paper work. The customer service was excellent.  Well car due for a service and MOT. booked in but found out that Pauls farther had passed away, and now there was another machanic and not sure but i think the other guys is Tony who does admin. To cut a long story short car passed, picked up the car to go shopping and we, had no heat or fan working. Phoned up garage spoke to Tony he was very rudel and saying more or less well we did not do anything all we did was a intrim service.  I did say, "I'm not saying it is your fault "but car was ok when i took it in, Passed phone to master  again got words same, any way took car back to be looked at, when I got there "Tony"said  I told your hubby on the phone not to bring it down till 5 30  it was only 4 55. Then he was going on again that it was not there fault, i was not saying it was!!  all I was  saying is that the fan ect was working when i brought it in. any way after a few more words which are not worth repeating, I left the car, phone call from Tony cars ready to be picked up. I was upset being spoke to like Tony had spoken to me, so master went to pick car up. Well this Tony said all sorts to master but the worst thing was he accused us of wanting our car done for nothing,,, and more words,   Any way i would not recomend this place which is in a unit on Pye Hill Road Jacksdale. A long standing frenship with Paul as come to an end.

• Like 1