How's your day?

Third day of pickaxing and shovelling soil, roots and rocks. All has to be wheelbarrowed to the skip 20 metres away. The skip is just over half full and another two days should fill it. Found four old 6' gravel boards under the surface. They took some removing, being those old heavy ones - about twice the weight of modern ones. They will be used to top the stone wall that I will be building. Enjoying this manual labour :biggrin:  

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Cut down a small partly dead tree in the front garden - well, Paul did about 7/8 of the hard work.  I just secateured the branches and packed them into a couple of square metre bags to take to the tip.  It took us nearly 3 hours to do it, though.   Paul wants to take up the whole tree up but I noticed two small new shoots nearly at ground level, so I think it should be given a second chance!   

• Like 2

Pity you didn't leave about a metre of the trunk, you could have put a small dish on it for a bird bath. Unless of course it wasn't thick enough.

BK. The tree had multiple ‘trunks?’ - I suppose it was more of a very large bush.  It had variegated leaves like a privet but the thick branches were all intertwined.  Many of the branches had died over this last year...

4 hours ago, Beekay said:

To have HAIR extensions,  one needs some hair to fit them to. At 3mm long I've decided to have a perm or maybe plaits. Wouldn't want a ponytail, that would make me look like a saddo. Do you have any perm rollers, the size of chicken bones?

I'm sure I can find some small rods just for you. B. I might event treat you to a Twink Perm (ladies wil no what i mean) or ask her indoor's she will know what a twink PW was or even the pin perm. Don't think you would like the look of either of them B as you would just look a frizzy mess. No I think we will stick with the Extensions we can melt your hair on to them. I think you would look great I'm sure all the ladies would fall for you.  xxxx:rolleyes:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

To have HAIR extensions, 

Don't need 'em so I'm staying out if this conversation, my hair is now long enough to touch my shoulders...:blink:

• Upvote 1

Brew your just an old Hippy at heart 

• Like 2

In actual fact Mary, up until about 12 years ago, before I started having a 3mm haircut, Tina used to perm my hair as it's normally straight. If left a couple of days, it would look like a chip pan, all lank. Perming it used to put some life into it. Then we tried trimming it and the rest is history. Having short hair is easier to manage and I ain't been to a barber for years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Brew your just an old Hippy at heart 

I'd post a pic but it would frighten the horses...:Shock:

• Like 2

Funny start to the day just now,,    

Knock knock

Morning i'm Joe,from Seven Trent,,just wondered  '''could i drop a long pipe down your manhole cover'''?

Its been a while since i was asked that,,you crack on Joe,,,

I thought it was funny anyway.....lol

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
On 11/8/2020 at 7:40 PM, MargieH said:

For the past few days it’s been lovely and quiet near us because of a sink hole which appeared right in the middle of the village High Street on Friday morning!   The road has been closed off except for residents’ access, with barriers round the hole itself!   
It’s almost a metre diameter  and looks about a metre deep.  I suppose it I’ll have to be made bigger so someone can go inside and ascertain the cause of the collapse.  Word is that it’s something to do with a water leak but nothing’s been done yet.  

Hi Margie, 

Reading about your sinkhole..maybe only a co-incidence but we moved from Ely a year or two back and one of our houses ( nr centre of town ) developed some kind of sinkhole in the back garden. Luckily not too dangerous and in actual fact more like the slabs just sinking in to a scary level approx 2 metres round. .We knew the landlord would eventually sort it out (eventually being the word) but moved anyway out to the villages before coming back more north. Is Ely a sinkhole area generally???

@RoseQueen  I’ve no idea if Ely and the surrounding villages are more prone to sinkholes than other areas of the country - we don’t hear about them anyway.   There are no underground workings like coal mines to cause them but in some of the fen villages I suppose the land can get waterlogged.  I’m no scientist so don’t know if that can be a cause.  I would have thought that places where limestone is the bedrock, is where there would be more holes when the rock gets ‘dissolved’ by  acid rain.  Who knows.  Anyway ours has now been filled in - apparently it was caused by ‘not very good’ road building years ago.  

I found Ely a nice place stayed there overnight a few times many years ago...i stayed at ''the Lamb'' is it still there Margie?  always remember its arched entrance......Used to deal with a VG shop in nearby Sutton,,owners name was Painter...

You say too many cars Margie...Bulwell similar free parking...makes it busy''''

• Like 1

Phil, Ely is a CITY ( because it has a Cathedral) but it does feel more like a small town!  Most of the shops are on just 3 streets but there are more on the little alleyways joining up 2 of these streets. The problem with the cars is that High Street is only closed to traffic on market days and only half of Market Street is permanently pedestrianised.  There is a small market square which, on market days and in in non-Covid times is quite a nice place.   It would have been a really beautiful city when it was only horses and carts allowed on the streets.

but then I might have had to walk the 6 miles each way if I needed to go there!

Ben, The Lamb is still there but I’ve only been in there once.  Sutton is only 5 minutes drive from us - some of my daughter in law’s relatives live there.  
The only general store there is closing, I heard yesterday 

• Like 1

I know i wax on about a ''bit of romance'' etc......just to say i do it for fun and hope to make fellow Nottstalgians smile a bit in what are quite miserable times,,,,so heres another 'bit of romance to wax on....Downham Market not far from you Margie..stayed there a few times and cant remember the name of the place....anyway if this place still do it they had a great night (think saturday) when they had a supper Dance evening,,,,

Smallish place,,,good food'..low lights and a three piece band''' for lovely slow dancing.......look it up Margie,,, and you can let Paul take you...if you find out if its still going let me know,,,,i'd travel down there for the night with Donna ....when we can again........she would enjoy a ''Bar stool'' drink........in a little black number.....last time she did it she got chatted up by the ''Grumbleweeds'''       lol

• Like 3

Ben, just looked up dances in Downham Market but all I could see was a Zumba class, a Young Farmers’ Dance and something or other in the Conservative Club.  I’m not up for going to any of those although I might manage a short Zumba session.  I suppose I’m  too old for the Young Farmers dance anyway even though I grow my own veg and I’d choke on me turnips if I had to set foot in a Con Club!!!! 

• Like 2