How's your day?

I'm  sure we went to the same shops Ben. They were mostly grocery shops, pharmacies, hairdressers etc. My area over the week ranged from Grantham down to St Neots. Fridays was the other side of the A1, Oundle, Market Harborough, Corby and Kettering, with lots of little villages and schools fitted in. I'll bet at some time or other, I've actually served you and delivered your goods.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Well, I wouldn’t have come across either Ben or BK as we lived in Leicester until 1976, after which we came to

live in the next village to where we live now (which wasn’t on your list BK)

So where was that village then Margie? Chances are I bet I went there. Did loads of villages from Peterborough down to St.Neots. I'd be here all day listing them all. Used to do a hairdresser at Gedney Drove End. One road in and same one out. One of our driver's had that drop with a small parcel. He just put a stamp on it and posted it, rather than deliver it.

Edit. I did that job until late 77', so we could have crossed paths

• Upvote 1

BK. Our first village in E Anglia was Cottenham. We were there from 1976 - 2011

ben. We lived in Aylestone, Leicester from 1966 - 76

Yep !!! Done Cottenham and Aylestone in me time. Before I had a regular route, could go anywhere. Took over  North Lincs from Dronfield depot, so used to do Grimsby, Scunthorpe East Coast etc. I once delivered to Southwell and was looking for my next village drop. Stopped to ask directions from a local on a tractor. It turned out I thought I  recognised his face. It transpired he was our next door neighbour from Denton Street 20 odd years earlier ! If your out there, Barry Bradley, cheers mate! (That were40 + years ago).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Did some Security in Histon not far from Cottenmam for a Budgens store.....also went to watch Histon fc about 2005 ish when they had progressed well in the FA cup........

• Upvote 1

Ben, I remember seeing Budgens in Histon but have never been in there.  The bus from Cottenham to Cambridge used to go past it.

I used to work in the early eighties with 3 deaf children who lived in Histon..... Stephen, Susan and Linda but this was before your time there.  

BK you used to get about a bit, didn’t you!

Our local farm shop at Gonalston has a Budgeons store. Just down the road at Harrison's garage, Lowdham, a Spar shop has been incorporated and in the next village, Fiskerton, the village shop and P.O is a Mace store. Our village shop closed some years ago so there's nothing within walking distance. There's also an M&S at the filling station in Southwell and a largish Co. Op. plus a couple of other late opening stores.

It's still there. I never remember it being a restaurant. It's now a luxury home. I think it was recently sold. Ian Moore of IH Moore the electrical contractors used to live there. He owned the care home at Hazleford which was the Star and Garter pub but that's been sold on recently. We used to have some good times down there when it was a pub run by Terry Wanless the landlord.

• Like 1

May have been called, 'The Old Mill' but couldn't be sure now.  I don't think I'd like the Dover Beck running under my front room.

It must have cost a fortune to renovate.  I would think the brick shell would have been the only part salvageable and even that pretty damp.  Interesting.

21 hours ago, radfordred said:

monthly sweep with a shovel full of kiln dried sand does the job.

Just come in from doing that to my driveway. I use a polymer sand product called "Pavelock" it literally runs into all the little gaps, sweep the excess off and water with a light mist and its good for another six months.

• Like 1

My neighbour showed me an ariel photo of our road taken in 1960 and amazed  at how a place can change in a short 60 years. There is a good view of our house which solves one mystery and adds another. When I was modifying the kitchen 30 years ago there was soot marks inside of a wall that suggested that a copper boiler had been there. But there was no sign of a chimney. The photo shows that a chimney stack came through the roof then but with two pots on it? There are still three stacks remaining with two, three and four pots on them. So that made eleven pots in total but I can only account for nine? At least the starlings find them useful. Only three pots in use now.

Interestingly there were no pavements on the road and it was not tarmacked. Not a car in sight! The Yew tree that is being felled tomorrow was quite small; indicating that it is not an ancient tree, thank goodness..

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

My neighbour showed me an ariel photo of our road taken in 1960 and amazed  at how a place can change in a short 60 years.

I don't think of 60 years as short !  To me that's quite a long time ago, almost back to the days when I was very young, and I've probably changed almost as much as your road.

6 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

Sold so pictures dimmed but you get the idea.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/8323904/

Wow!  They made it into quite the place.

Still wouldn't want to live there though.  Had a horrible reputation for child labour  (Wickepedia)  Probably 'aunted.

Yipee,,,,going out later,,,local clinic for more 'Toe viewing;,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just want the bleddy thing taking off,,,,gone on for months now,,,,not been able to even go out on me bike,,,,completly unfit...and 'Nadgy'' is that a Nottingham word ?

They're not taking your toe off, are they?  How are you going to count past 19? :blink:

I've Not heard of nadgy but my mother would sometimes refer to someone in a temper as being radgy. No idea of the correct spelling, if there even is one!

Keep smiling!  Think of the black bottom!

• Like 1

THANKS Jll,,,,always thinking of the 'black Bottom''.....Wifes birthday tomorrow so got that card out already......this nowt to do'' lark is doing my head in........window cleaner just been...i was almost pleased to see him.........i'm so sad arn't i     ....got the NADGES   almost permanent...........need a Bar stool...cig...double Whisky ....and a long slow Dance.....but make do with a 'TOE inspection    for now.......

• Like 1

You're dead right Jill, it's  my birthday next  week. Just been for heart check up. All working fine, consultant happy with results. Most encouraging and reassuring. 

• Like 2

I had a knock on my door this morning and it was my next door neighbour asking if they could put their car on my drive whilst they have their guttering, fascias and soffits done. Said yes and being cheeky asked them how much it was costing. It was a lot less than I thought so I asked her if she would ask them to do a quote for me. I was thinking it would be a lot more as I have a conservatory (iPad keeps changing to conservation!) and a one storey extension on the side so I was expecting them to have to use scaffolding. 
When my handyman came to clear my gutters along with a few other jobs a couple of weeks ago he told me that the guttering on the front was pulling away from the fasci and was about ready to fall off. He had tried to reattach it but the fascia was too rotten and the guttering had tilted towards the house meaning water was running down the wall, not good as the house is rendered. It also explains the damp in the front bedroom wall and fitted wardrobe. As I am fairly certain I will sell up in the next few years (downsizing to a bungalow hopefully) I was a bit worried that I could end up with a big repair bill for rendering etc. before leaving.

The men doing the job came round with my neighbour (he does look out for me knowing I am on my own) and quoted me the same price. I mentioned about the conservatory and side room but apparently they have some gizmo that means no scaffolding is needed. They had been recommended to my neighbours by someone who has had work done by them so it appears they are reputable. So I took the plunge and told them I wanted it done. As they are doing both houses (we are semi-detached) they have knocked £200 off the price quoted as well. Result. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1