How's your day?

They would if they could.  They have been acting very concerned for me.  Maybe they think i won't be able to find the dog food.  :biggrin:

No eye drops until he takes the patch off.  Probably have to  sleep with it on for a night or two so as I don't scratch or rub it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Patch off this afternoon.   Just a bit fuzzy still as he said the eye is still a bit swollen due to additional work done on it to relieve glaucoma pressure.  He said it should clear over the next two or three days.  It is still much better, brighter, and the cataract has obviously gone.  Even I could see it.  Follow up apptmt with regular eye doctor next week to see about the left eye and keep using the drops.  :)

48 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Follow up apptmt with regular eye doctor next week to see about the left eye and keep using the drops.

Hang in there Loppy it will be well worth it in the end.

I have had both mine done, a month apart and then like Loppy had to have drops, antibiotic ones to reduce the risk of infection for ten days and anti inflammatory for 4 weeks. Now all good, everything as clear as a bell, driving at night is so much easier now. Just got to save my pennies for some new reading glasses.

Thanks Oz.

My thinkng is that the eye doctor will refer me to get the other one done.  It is not as bad as the left one, but I can see the difference now.  Colurs are not as bright and it's focus has changed.  That's why I went to the eye docs at first.  I just thought I needed new lenses.  The reading part of my tri focals still helps with my Ipad, but I'd love to get rid of glasses altogether.  Time will tell.  Not scared of the surgery now, it was nothing.  I've had worse dentist visits.;)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:Just got to save my pennies for some new reading glasses.

Oz, my husband had both eyes done a couple of years ago and doesn’t need reading glasses, although he had it done privately and did pay extra for ‘special’ lenses so he doesn’t need specs at all.   He didn’t actually having any evidence of cataracts but hated wearing specs and couldn’t get on with contact lenses so his (private) optician referred him for cataract surgery.  It’s worked a treat.  

• Like 1

Hi Loppy.. Glad it's going well.  I too have cataracts diagnosed.. but nowhere near needing ops yet. ( Or so they tell me..)

Stay well and stay safe.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Oz, my husband had both eyes done a couple of years ago and doesn’t need reading glasses

We have private health cover too, the best part is no waiting for this sort of stuff just set the date, go in for day surgery, and the job is done.

I will only need glasses for really close work, reading a paper of a computer screen is no problem

7 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Not scared of the surgery now, it was nothing.

The surgery is very quick, twighlight anaesthesia so no problems, just itchy eyes for the first evening and no pain

• Like 1

Pleased you cataract surgery went well Loppy.   I had one eye ‘done’ 20 years ago and it was brilliant - my eyesight was really good afterwards.....

Unfortunately, I now have macular degeneration in both eyes so my eyesight is deteriorating once again.

But looking on the positive side, I suppose it would be even worse had I not had the cataract removed all those years ago.   

• Like 2

I had my cataracts done about five years ago. One of the best things ever!! I had, very unwisely, neglected my vision for a while such that I was classifiable as being blind. Anyway, I had two rounds of surgery, both completely painless such that after the first, I was actually looking forward to the second.

Sometimes  (and it happened to me) after a few years it can happen that your sight deteriorates due to "posterior capsular opacification". This is very easy to treat with a few blasts from a laser so, it it happens to you, don't worry about it.

My sight now is as good, if not better, than it's ever been.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I could write a book on my poor eyesight and how it affected my life. 15 ops at the last count and waiting for another. When checked at the W'ton Eye Infirmary last week I was able to read the next to bottom line on the chart and half guessed the bottom line with my right eye. Amazing when considering that the eye was -24 myopic as a young man and had two detached retinas repaired and cataract removed! Retina in left eye is badly damaged. Can't see the chart! Next op will try to get some daylight into it to help my balance and awareness of surroundings. 

If I had been born a few years earlier I would not have survived a normal life. I would have been blind and deaf! As it is I am enjoying myself and and can do more than most people of my age:biggrin:....life is good.

• Like 10

Blimey!! PP. I really don't know what to say.

It seems a bit trivial to say that before my ops, I could only read the bottom line of the Snellen chart through a pin-hole test lens.

My mum developed secondary cataracts on both eyes after cataract surgery. Laser treatment was administered at QMC but it actually caused damage to one eye. I went with her and recall staff running around and looking very worried about something! Mum experienced a lot of pain on that occasion and the sight in that eye was never much use afterwards. It was a shame because the initial cataract surgery improved her vision immensely.  She did develop macular degeneration, which didn't help.

You know what a terribly inquisitive person I am, PP. I find myself wondering whether, perhaps, something like your mum contracting rubella whilst pregnant caused your sight and hearing problems. As teens at school, we were all vaccinated for rubella after being warned of the dire consequences of catching it when pregnant.  Of course, your mum wouldn't have had the benefit of such a vaccination.

I know a chap who has a deformed hand which is thought to be the result of his mum very briefly taking Thalidomide for morning sickness early in her pregnancy. She took, at the most, two of them. Had she continued, the damage would have been far worse.

I taught 6 hearing impaired teenagers in the 1980s whose mothers had contracted rubella during their pregnancy.

I'm not certain, but I think the rubella vaccination was fairly new when we received it around 1972 ish. Being, from birth, needle phobic, I created a stink about having the jab. At Manning, we were given explanatory letters and parental consent forms for the vaccine.  I argued the toss with my mum. I was never going to have children. I knew that from a very early age, so I didn't need the vaccine!  Waste of breath. She signed the form and I was forced to have the jab.

When it came to the TB jab, a year or so later, I was immovable and didn't have the test!

That is quite feasible, PP. Measles was very serious and brought all manner of complications with it.

I caught measles over the terrible winter of 62/3.  My bed was brought downstairs and placed in a darkened room to protect my eyes.  I was pretty ill. Delirious, hallucinating, very sick.  Its legacy was a tendency to bronchitis every winter. I milked that one, I confess. Always good for a trip to Forest Dene and 2 weeks off school!

A friend at Manning lived at a butcher's shop in Bulwell. As a child, one of the marble slabs fell on her foot and broke several bones. She was admitted to the Children's Hospital, on a large ward where she caught measles.  No precautions were taken to put her in a darkened room. She was left on the bright, sunlit ward and her sight suffered as a result.

31 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Mum having rubella? Never thought of that. It was always assumed that a bad bout of measles caused the problems. All other members of the family have good eyesight and hearing.

But you’re special PP.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 5:28 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Another cracker that Ann,,

The Great Jackie Milburn,,

Ben and Maude,,like it,,

Gonna be hard choosing

How about Cushie and Butter after a tyneside fish seller Cushie Butterfield.. 

The song goes...she's a big lass and a bonnie lass and she likes her beer!!! 

• Like 1