How's your day?

Just sitting here reflecting, what a crap time on TV., this Christmas, yet again. Nothing but endless repeats and more than an ample dose of Animation films. I suppose sticking a film on is a good filler of time. You don't have to pay any bugger when they shove those on. Last night, for example, Morcambe and Wise, the lost tapes. It was from back in 1968 and repeated every year. What's lost about that? Much as I like M & W, one can follow the script word for word. New Year don't look much better either.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I think same Beekay start watching flim that I have seen before, master and I look at each other  TV OFF yes switch it off thats only after 5 mins. All though just watched Dunkirk on catch up. don't like many war flims, but this one was good.

Right now it's bloody "Sound of Music" AGAIN !! I could take apart in it, (a goat). A brilliant film when it came out but after the first 10 showings, it wears a bit thin. Never realised how much of it is superimposed.

Love it BK Brings back memories of mid 60s taking a Girl to see it one thursday afternoon from Dolcis shoe shop on Long Row,,,Odeon i think 3/6 to sit upstairs.......

However the reason i remember the film and the girl is...we went down Trent Bridge after and as we walked hand in Hand along the Embankment she sang many of the songs at the top of her voice......and she could sing too,,,so much so she got a round of applause from a few people sat on the grass...also recall her wearing a flared Skirt and flat shoes as was the fashion back then.............ah wish i could remember her name......:rolleyes:

• Like 4

We’ve just been watching Pride and Prejudice on 5.  I LOVE it, although the earlier version with Colin Firth was better... I think most of you ladies will know the best bit of that particular film ....

I'm not knocking the film honest. Just using that as an example. It'll be on again come Easter. It's just that the powers that be churn out the same dross every year. I mean, I ask you, Christmas day and "Homes under the hammer".

Never turned the TV off so much before. Listened to music or short stories instead.

Our TV is no better. Plenty of Christmassy films ( ok it is Christmas but switch over and the same film on a different channel) animations a plenty, ok for kids although I did watch the never ending story.:biggrin:

At the moment we have a Bruce Willis film every day. A bit different , we have so many dead and injured at the back of our tv don't know what to do with them.:rotfl:

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Seeing Morecombe and Wise again makes you realise they weren't that funny. I saw them live at the Theatre Royal and was very disappointed. The same goes for Victoria Wood. All very 'samey'. It takes a lot to amuse me these days. 

Phil,

I feel the same as you with past comedians apart from Tommy Cooper who was a natural. Most of the 'stand up's, of both sexes e.g, Sara Millican, amongst others, make me hit the off button.

My sister was obsessed with The Sound of Music. I Am Sixteen Going on Seventeen. She'd sing it over and over again! Can't stand the sound of it.

Around 1966, our boxroom had a large packing case which served as a stage and there'd be my sister and Su Pollard standing on the packing case, singing songs from The Sound of Music. They were both 16 and I, aged 8, was dragged along to serve as a captive audience!

My sister also sang I Could Have Danced All Night from My Fair Lady. Over and over again! At 16, she looked exactly like Audrey Hepburn.  

I was never allowed to have a turn on the packing case. I can sing just as well as them. My family are all musical and we can all sing.  

Pair of show offs!  

Nowadays, the so called comedians don't seem to be able to tell a joke without the need to use expletives or other lurid innuendos. There's plenty of material out there without bucket mouthing.

Hope I've not opened a tin of worms with this one !

15 hours ago, MargieH said:

@DJ360 I loved reading the account of your day.

Thanks Margie.  As for the walk. It wasn't that far. Took about 40 minutes I think.  We are very blessed living here.  The focal point is of course the Hill.. which draws in walkers from far and wide, but the surrounding country is all nice.  The village is genuinely separated from all surrounding settlements by farmland and Green Belt, so it is possible to walk out of the village in all directions via footpaths and either walk all around the village, or to any of the surrounding settlements, via open country.  The downside is that apart from going upwards to the top of the hill.. everywhere is downhill..and consequently the way home is all uphill..

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Beekay said:

Just sitting here reflecting, what a crap time on TV.,

Comedians.  M&W had their moments.. but I never split my sides...  The Two Ronnies.. similar.

Victoria Wood was clever, talented and funny. but I think the Beeb do her a disservice by expecting us to prove our loyalty by watching hours on end of compilations.

I've found a couple of films I enjoyed.. but none I haven't seen before.

Still. lots of records I still haven't played.  And one of the kids bought us an Echo Dot for Christmas..  Figuring out what to do with that should keep us occupied until next Chrtistmas... :blink:

Today is my 8th Nottstalgian Birthday.  On 28th December 2012 I was bored and began googling the names of clubs etc that I used to frequent in my teens and early twenties and fell upon Nottstalgia.  I've met some lovely members at get-togethers, renewed a friendship that went back to the early 1960s and it's been an interesting and informative 8 years where I've learned a lot about Nottingham that I never knew before ...... but I'm more bored this year than I've ever been.    I want some normality and freedom, the chance to meet friends, go for a drink at the local,  dine out, go to the theatre, get on a plane, not have to wear a bloody mask every time I step outside my door, not have to queue to get into a shop  and not be concerned what Tier we are in.  

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Well said lizzie,,exactly my thoughts,, at least when I'm fit again,, feel bit better everyday since coming out of hospital,, but slow job,

Reckon when these vaccines get going properly we soon be living like before,, 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Its been a tough year Lizzie hope next year will be better,it will be my second anniversary on nottstalgia in February the sight is fantastic i to have met a friend on the sight i went to the PCFE in 1964, stay safe enjoy the moggy Happy New Year.

• Upvote 1

Pleased you’re feeling better day by day Ben, you’ve been through a very difficult period in your life and you’ve bravely dealt with it and hopefully you’ll get some Spanish sunshine in the next few months, get your dancing shoes polished.  
We were supposed to be off to Northumberland tomorrow to stay with friends in a National Trust cottage by Hadrian’s Wall. Yet another holiday cancelled and we can’t even go to Dorset to our own place.  
Sorry to whinge, I/we are in a better position than millions who’ve lost their employment or are trying to keep their businesses afloat (like my sons) but this year has been the pits!  
One of our boys flew to Tanzania and Zanzibar 2 weeks ago, he says there’s no virus there, everything is normal, reckons he’s staying there indefinitely .......

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I want some normality and freedom, the chance to meet friends, go for a drink at the local,  dine out, go to the theatre, get on a plane, not have to wear a bloody mask every time I step outside my door, not have to queue to get into a shop  and not be concerned what Tier we are in.  

We all want that Lizzie. 

I've been hiding since last Feb.  I've not been close to anyone.  I've not been anywhere, or inside anywhere...apart from the local Pharmacy.. one overnight stay in the Hospital.. and a couple of trips to the Doc's Surgery.

I too have just about had enough of it all.. but if my life has taught me one thing.. it is that patience and application usually pays off.

I'm hanging on for the Vaccine. It is the only real hope of us all getting out of this mess.  Hopefully it will make us 'olds' feel a lot safer.  Then it should start to reduce transmission rates.  It won't be instant and we will still have to take care.. but we will get there.  Stay positive.

• Like 4

In other news.. it snowed here in the Grand Duchy..

So.. around 2:00 pm I set off up 'The Hill' to see what pics I could get.

I should have already learned the 'Covid Effect'...

Streets into and around our development were rammed with parked cars... and the best known track up onto the hill was like Blackpool Prom. Hundreds of Adults.. Teens and Kids.  Although I like to selfishly guard 'my' Hill..even I had to accept that in the current circumstances..that's not surprising.... the Hill is open for public access..

But what really wound me up was the number of Parents, Kids and Teens gaily 'sledging' on fields which are already sown with crops such as Winter Wheat.  That,, to me. is the height of ignorance and selfishness. There is a traditional sleighing hill up there, plus a number of accessible tracks. but these idiots were sleighing over crops.  I'm no special fan of farmers but FFS!!

To put the tin hat on it, I watched an idiot pull two kids on sledges across a field for hundreds of yards.. rather than stick to the path... then get into a car and drive to who knows where.

People like that ae why we have such problems with the virus. Pig ignorant and selfish.  I'm still blazing. :angry2:

• Like 4

I believe we will be in the same position if not worse this time next year & possibly the year after, this virus is going nowhere. 

Learn to live with it, you’ve just lost one year of your very short life, enjoy yourself it’s later than you think.

You bring some light into my life every morning, RR. You little ray of sunshine, you! :P

Snowing here but at least the hard frost has melted. It's slushy underfoot. Just been to feed the dicky bods. Very hungry they are. Tucking into a good breakfast now to warm them up!

• Like 3