How's your day?

Ian my daughter has her hair coloured and she sometimes Comes out with a bill of € 110. Shes a top,stylist and her cutting techniques are to be envied. I started going to her after my other hairdresser started to be a bit too relaxed. I watched her cutting my hair like a hawk and she goes by feel not by sectioning off and layering. When I wash my hair it falls into shape that I love and my natural hair is like a yard of pump water, no kinks , waves or curls just straight , straight. 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Thanks for the birthdsy wishers nonnaB  Its a good thing that gone are thoes days when we relied on our tips to hve  decent living wage . I am like you on lockdown I cut my hair   I do it by feel and I always get a good result. 

Ian you said your wife had her hair set do they not do blow-drys?

Hi there Ladies and Gentlemen! And Beekay!  Its jill/ lans better half! Lol  lan asked if l would respond you the questions on hairdressing!  I have gone to the same hair dresser for at least the last thirty years Debra is about 55 years old now so thats about 30 years ago, l have followed her twice when she has changed Salons.

I have very very thick hair with a natural wave!  So l go every thursday morning at 9am for a wash, blow dry and curling iron.

Every two weeks she includes a "thinning" at no extra charge and every 4 weeks l get a cut! Leaving it any longer it gets unruly! As the natural wave wants to do its own thing!!!!  Every 6 weeks l get my natural blonde colour put back in to cover the Grey peeking through by that time!  Its very hard when you have such thick hair to use a curling iron, unless you are standing over it like my hair dresser does!

I pay $26 dollars for a wash, blowdry and curl with a $10.00 tip!  

When she adds a cut its $36 with a $10.00 tip and when l get the works with a colour added its $93.00 and l usually add a $15.00 tip.

I no my tips are considered high but l do it because she never charges me for a thinning and l have lots of hair!  Other clients sitting there when l am getting done often comment and wish they had my hair!  Little do they no l wish sometimes l had theres! If only for a week or two!  Lol  

I have found myself a very good hairdresser in Florida since we started to winter there,  just outside of our resort, each year l have a sigh of releaf when l get there and phone for appointment and find she is still working there!.

My Salon here in Canada is a very good one and l think the other stylists do have a charge a little higher for customers that are not regular. 

When l am in England l do pay more for my hair!  

I was at the bank the other day and saw to buy £ it would cost $1.70 cents Canadian and the € was a fraction cheaper!  The cost of living in Canada is much cheaper for that matter is everything! Like Groceries, eating out, even home buying, cars clothing and most things and our wages seem to be higher! 

All in All Canada has been very good to us!  But My Hearts after all these years still belongs to " England " l still call it home!  regards to you all and just to let you no Ian loves being on this forum with you all! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well hello Jill, nice to meet you!  
It sounds like you’ve got yourself a good hairdresser who knows your hair, and that’s good.  The work she does doesn’t seem to be pricey either.  
I used to pay £70 for roots, cut and blow dry 16 years ago when we lived in Hertfordshire and it was the same when I went to a salon in the middle of Nottingham, then I discovered a good girl in Carlton and save myself £20 a time (every six weeks but unfortunately I should have had an appt yesterday and who knows when that will be rearranged) 
Assume you won’t get to Florida this winter, such a shame but you must look forward to being snowbirds next year! 

Staying home this winter for sure!    Love America! But very disappointed in what is going on at the moment!  Cant wait till Biden gets in to fix everything that Trump made a mess of!  

Where we are in the Middle of Canada Covid has not been very bad so dont want to take the chance with Florida!  Our boarders are closed with America to drive but we could fly there like we always do and have a car rental at the airport!  But decided to stay home this year! 

Great chatting with Lizzie

We should have flown to Miami last March 17th, the very day that the US borders were closed, and we’re still trying to get our money back from American Airlines!   It’s just not even worth considering flying anywhere yet. 

We arrived back MARCH 8TH with no quarenteen but the following weekend Canada was ordering all its citizens to fly home as the boarders where closing within 4 days and required 14 days self isolation when arriving!   Our son and family where scheduled to go to Hawaii this past August but canceled " West Jet" offered them there money back right away or a two year pass to travel in the next two years Karen his wife took the two year pass!  She said she would rather take the pass as she would probably spend the money if it went in her!account esp when its 5 of them! They plan this Augest if not August of 2022!  

Yes l am of the same mind to go no where 2021 what is the fun when restaurants, shops and esp beaches are all closed!

At last by reading comments hair stylist are charging the right price for their tranining and knowledge. A salon near me used to charge £3 for a perm (not many done nowdays gone out of fashion) where salons around her would be charging £15 00 -£25 00  

What do you have left after £3   wages for juinor, stylist training, elec, water, rent, ect ect I would say that she was making a loss, in the trade we used to call these salons  ""sweaty bettys"" 

The problem we had was that we were govened by the Wagers Council and they told you what pay and holidays hairdresses and apprentice's should have. You allso had 5 years training 3 years as an apprentice then you became a 1st year improver then a 2nd year improver, the problem was most of our trade was girls or lady's  a lot did not do the five years training  due to getting married or having children. Thank goodness employers, stylist, hairdressing trade movements took note and came into the real world, after all we are a trade like electricions, plumbers, decorators ect ect. Must admit not sure about the training that apprentice's due now. Each time I go to have my hair/nails done I always ask the junior how she is getting on. Only cutting my own hair due to virus.  Just one more comment while in a french salon waiting to have my hair styled, the stylist was cutting a ladys hair with just clippers, not short, the stylst was useing them just like scissiors never have I seen hair cut like this before.

morning Beekay( big ears)  hope you and Tina both well 

xx

12 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi there Ladies and Gentlemen! And Beekay!

Hiya Jill, Happy New Year!! Doe's your opening line infer that I'm not a gentleman, along with all the others on here?  Incidentally, I will still do your barnet for 22 dollars and now only 75 cents tip.

Say hello to that Ian bloke. :bighug:

On the downside Mary.. I went to the same salon for 45 years. Run by a girl who lived next door to us for a couple of years. She always did a very good job and over the years her charges for a dry cut. (2s and 4s) stayed at £5 for a long time.. which I think was 'mate's rates'. I would happily have paid double that.  It took her about 5 minutes tops to do my cut.

However.. in recent years she has suffered increasingly from Parkinson's and handed her salon over to her daughter.  Daughter is very different.  Every time I went I was kept waiting while she chatted to other customers..or on her phone... or just to her other stylists. She's a good stylist who lets herself down with lousy customer service skills. So.. when the original girl retired completely around the time that the Covid crisis began.  I stopped going.  I've since discovered that I can do a half decent job myself using my Wahl Beard Trimmer

Obviously the main reason I haven't been is Covid.. but I doubt I'll go back even when things improve.

• Upvote 1

@mary1947 "Big Ears"!! Is that all I get for sending you a birthday card. And what's more, I didn't even put the receipt in. Not to worry, ta'ra Noddy. Catch you later.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. :rolleyes: Is that from Ian or Mrs. Ian?

Not that it matters. Can I  be the first to wish you...

HAPPY EASTER !!

• Like 2

Hi Beekay!  Ian had me right that as a dare!!! Lol he new you would get a rise out of it and have to comment!  I may have to join the forum myself as l have never heard Ian chuckle so much as when he is on the forum! 

Great day in Canada!  Sun is shining bright and very mild just enough snow around for the children to do there winter activities  jill

Getting in to a January/lockdown routine. Get up at 7.30, dress in gym clothes, make a pint of weak coffee, get on rowing machine for a bout an hour watching 'Breakfast' on the beeb. Row at a steady pace taking sips of coffee regularly. Shower. Dress in work clothes. Porridge with honey and raisins.  Another pint of weak coffee. Check out the chickens. Get on with the landscaping project. Lunch. 

Relax and read paper and do a few puzzles. Bit of time on PC and any light jobs in the house. Change into gym strip that has been drying on radiator. Make a pint of weak coffee and do another hour on the rowing machine. Clean up and have a beer. Watch News and wait for dinner call. Enjoy Mrs PP's super cooking with maybe another beer or a wine to suit. Crash out on favourite chair in front of telly and read if usual rubbish on. Consider the merits of Bulliet Bourbon. Bed 10.15. 

Life is good :biggrin:

• Like 6

You’re an example to us all PP. Ten minutes on my exercise bike and I’m bored rigid. I prefer to be hands on and doing something physically productive which of course you do as well. If only the rowing machine were connected to the National Grid your energy bills would be substantially reduced!

Sorry Beekay should have ask you roune for my birthday never mind maybe nxt year, many thanks for the card. Really enjoyed watch it,   Take Care xx

Hi DJ360 must addmit in the uk our customer services leaves a lot to be desired. When I stated teaching Hair and Beauty customer service level 2 had just been past, so along with hair n' beauty it ment the students would obtain another qualification. I think it was one of the hardest subjects to teach. The thing was some if the students just did not seem to realise that if you treat a client right the they will return. When I had my salon a young man worked for me (no name) his hairdressing was in my opion rubbish but he had that charm making both male and female clients speacial. His column would always be fully  booked column.

Hello Jill, good idea to join in your own name. There aren't as many females as there used to be and it's nice to have female views and news. Hair...when you have a good hairdresser stick with her. I test new hairdressers by how they cut. In Nottingham I tried so many and got fed up of them leaving steps. Every time I went to a new one  I told them that I didn't want steps to show so when they did I didn't go anymore. When we came here years ago cousins were both hairdressers so I went to them or rather her. We moved away so eventually found a new h/ d and went to her until,I got fed up because she didn't appear to know what she was doing. Back in Nottingham I think I must have tried About 10 but then returned here. Another cousin of my ex son in laws is a hairdresser so I started going there until we returned once again to Nottingham. Then back here I went to a famous salon in Asti, she was brilliant. She only cut the clients hair for assistants to finish off. Drying hair just fell into place . ( proof of a good cut) Unfortunately she retired so again had to find a new place. The village had a new salon so tried it. She was good but too technical and was always on her phone or computer and I got fed up. The one I go to now is just round the corner and has been there for ages and I didn't really want to try her but eventually did and was thrilled to bits with the result. She's good at her job and gives advice on what suits you. She always spot on with new techniques and updates etc. So if you're happy follow her and keep her.

Welcome to our group if you decide to join.

• Like 1

Mary, my first few weeks were learning to greet customer, taking her coat, seating her and if she had to wait make sure she had some magazines, if not get her ready with gown and towel and seat her down at the washing bowl. Wrap her hair well in a clean dry towel to make sure she didn't feel cold until my boss came to cut or set her hair. Putting her under the drier making sure her ears were protected. Taking pins out of her hair etc then going back to the bowl to make sure it was in order and clean for the next client. Then sweep the floor of cut hair. 

Most clients were great but the odd one always turned up. One used to book every 3 weeks all through the diary but then her appointment clashed with our holidays. She wanted us to change our holidays for her and when we said no she threw her money across the desk and walked out muttering that it wasn't fair. But she returned  unfortunately. She really was a horrible woman and then there were clients that said " waters too hot/ cold or it's  running down my neck or don't rub so hard." Water running down the neck was usually caused of the client moving her head continuously.Lovely days though.

Sorry both long posts.

• Like 1

nonnaB  you did your training about same time as me and we were good at customer services as we were real apprentices, but I think our trade as gone down hill .since we trained. I know that we could not call our stylist by there first names we had to call them mrs smith miss lythel and our salon had cubicles. One stylist one junior one customer. 

• Like 2

Odd day today.  I woke much earlier than usual after a few weird dreams I couldn't settle so I got up and it dawned on me I was in the middle of an anxiety attack. Not usual to wake up like that. It's a curse which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.. but I decided to try and work through it.

From the bedroom window, the road up the the Hill is right on the skyline...so I could see that it was very busy up there with an endless stream of 'Lockdown Loonies'.  Where do they come from? What do they normally do to annoy people? I walk up there a few times a week and often don't see a soul.... until Covid.

So.. I decided to check out my car..  Battery was flat as a fluke and not for the first time since lockdown.  So.. it's probably buggered now as batteries don't like being left flat for long.  Still it fired up after a few minutes on charge, so we'll see how it goes.

Once up and running I decided to do a quick tour of the local area.. for a change of scene and to charge the battery. I basically did a circuit around the hill... and at all points where there is access to the footpaths up the hill.... there were dozens of parked cars...  Anyone who lives in the village doesn't need to drive to access the hill.. so the cars were almost certainly owned by folk from 'out of area'.  Everywhere I drove... the streets were crowded with walkers and as I passed the hill itself it was clearly like a football crowd up there. Even Shaley Brow.. the only vehicular road which goes close to the top of the Hill.. was crowded with walkers. Something I've never seen before. It's not a very suitable road for walking as it is very steep, very bendy and has no 'sidewalks.'

I drove the couple of miles over to Rainford and it was the same. People everywhere and cars blocking every access to footpaths. The only place I didn't see walkers was on a quick run down the M58 to Jn1 and back.

So.. home....  Forced myself to do a set on the weights.  Two sets of each move this time..  Then shower and a meal.

After all that.. I sat and tried to use my relaxation techniques to get shot of the anxiety... It didn't work.  Mostly it does.. but not this time.  So.. a few Mgs of Valium... I try not to use it except 'in extremis'.. but it's miraculous stuff.  So.. all is well till the next time.