How's your day?

58 years later...still have a weakness there .....lol

Had the 'Trauma'' of having the in-growing Toe nail dug out this morning..was in Absolute Agony during...been in some pain with it for a year or two now......Becky (lady who did it) said i was very brave.(despite me screaming silently).and it would hurt for a few days..funny thing is walked about 100 yards back to car..got home tired had small kip........when i woke realised all pain gone.......first time in a long while....Body a funny thing ain't it...........

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Apparently, lots of little boys are born with weaknesses that will potentially become hernias as they grow older. Anyone old enough to be on this forum would have been left to take their chance but now they're fixed while still a baby to prevent it happening.

Whatever next? Brain implants!? :P

19 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

It's a painful thing to have. I operated on my own some years ago. There was a lot of blood but it was a success. I don't think I would be flexible enough to do it now!

When I read this I thought you’d operated on your own hernia!   Particularly as you said you weren’t flexible to do it nowadays .......

• Like 3

About 20 years ago i  found a Pair of glasses complete with a nice case on Bulwell Hall Park.......tried em on but could hardly see in them...they are black horn rimmed and very nice.........

Anyway still got em and tried them on today....low and behold can see perfect in them......So as my Varifocals have about had it.......have decided to wear these......wife says they suit me and look a bit like Michael Caine.......thought i'd tell you all......as not a lot of people know that'''.........lol

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Of course Ben, when you want to renew your prescription, you can always ask the opticians to use your frames. They won't know you found ,'em twenty years ago ! ( I've used the same frames for the last two times. Why should you have to keep buying new frames each time).

32 minutes ago, Beekay said:

I've used the same frames for the last two times. Why should you have to keep buying new frames each time).

BK, I just wondered which optician you used. I use Specsave, and my new 'Bifocals' that I am wearing at the moment, balanced somewhere on my forehead are awful. If I want to use the reading part(which I am at the moment), I have to push the arms up above my ears and tilt the lenses down. Bad fit I believe.

When I went to choose frames and be measured, I enquired about having the Bifocal put into my existing frames. I was told they could not guarantee that my frames would be able to take the procedure, and wouldn't insure them. I felt as if I was being a nuisance, so I abandoned the idea. Now I have these really bad fitting glasses, that they have adjusted once, but are so uncomfortable, don't do a very good job.

Hiya Carni, hellothere In reply to your query, I too use Specsavers and have done for a number of years. I agree when you say about insurance, I had the same thing said to me first time I asked. It's fully understandable that they guarantee the lenses but not your own frames. You can't expect them to on frames a couple of years old.

But that's the chance I'm willing to take. After all, if owt goes wrong I've still got the prescription. Personally, I don't like bifocals, I find them a pain. When descending stairs you tend to be looking out the reading bit. I had some once but couldn't get on with them, much prefer distance and reader's separate. I know it's a bit of a bind changing but I've learned to live with it. One more thing, any time I've had a problem, just nipped in and they've put it right, no charge. Hope this helps. Take care.x

Go back Carni they're usually quite good if things aren't quite right and if they don't tell them them you want a refund. Many moons ago I was reluctant to complain or make a fuss but I'm at the age now where I will if I think it right.

Thankyou Brew and BK for your response. Specsavers have been very good over the years, as you say will adjust my glasses willingly. 

When I went back about two weeks ago, I phoned and didn't need an appointment, but we weren't allowed in the shop to have adjustments due to social distancing, so it was done outside the shop.

I found it very embarrassing with passers by watching. But I feel a bit better now and will go up possibly on Friday. I have to get them seen too. Thanks again both.

Think I may have mentioned that I accidentally ruined my poshest specs by getting spray paint on them, which took off the coating on a lens.  Anyway... I had a lot of hassle with Boots Specs who tried to tell me that I HAD to have a new prescription.  I told them I didn't HAVE to have anything on their say so.  A couple of hours later when I'd calmed down I called again and politely requested a copy of my existing prescription via email... they must have been forwarned because it was mailed to me without further issue.

I used a company on the Wirral, Spex4Less or similar. I can check if anyone needs me to. Very pleasant and communicative Co. to deal with. They fitted new lenses to my existing, favourite and comfortable frames. They did say that it was possible that my frames might not survive the process, but I think that's just a 'catch all'.. as they don't know what you've done to them.  Anyway.  New lenses are better than the originals from Boots.  'Everything On' lenses, coated, 'transitions', extra thin/light etc..even an 'extra posh' varifocal which gives good vision over a wider field. Not cheap.. as my prescription is outside their 'normal' range... but I am very satisfied.

Also...as it happens.. not content with the old frost/ice and the frozen ground of the last cold event.. we have had almost continuous rain for the last day or so.. followed this evening by around 3" of snow.. which is already melting.  What fun!!

I'm glad we live on a hill.. For us to be flooded, around 99% of Merseyside would need to be underwater.

I sympathise with those facing flooding.

Varifocals are expensive. I've had them for years, got because the thought of having to keep 2 pairs and changing them all the time wasn't really what I wanted. My sunglasses are distance and it's a nuisance when I want to read something, although really sunglasses aren't needed at the moment cos I don't go out unless necessary and then it's just a walk down the road and I don't remember to put them on.

Good news , tomorrow my husband is coming home. He's been up walking and the physiotherapist says he's going like a steam train.

Ive been baking in the meantime, small Cornish pasties, ginger nuts, melting moments, chocolate puddle cakes, mango and white chocolate biscuits and have just made some Baklava and later I want to make some bomboloni ( big round doughnuts) my husband asked me to make them ages ago but I forgot about them.

All dough has been put in the freezer for future baking.

It has kept me occupied to not worry about my husband not feeling well after his op but now he's ready to come back to his little girls. ( the dogs).

Oh well suppose I will be the last to get a kiss.

• Like 3

Nonna, looking at your baking list, can I book a delivery slot as we are isolating. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear your good news about Alex. He don't know me but please give him my very best wishes. B.

There's been a Haggises birth explosion since March last year Phil.

The authorities are developing a vaccine against them. Be careful mate, they are aggressive little buggers. :rolleyes:

BK sorry but they're all in the freezer. Now having to help my daughter and son with a couple of things they do for takeaway. This weekend my daughter has Fish n chips or Guinness steak pie and sticky toffee pudding. A tea time menu , an assortment of cakes / scones / shortbread/ ginger cake, lemon drizzle cake and Bakewell tart. Together with Assam tea or a bottle of bubbly. My son is doing a Texmex menu along with a margarita cocktail and a pecan cheesecake. Chicken marinated in beer and spices, jalapeño peppers, fajitas and no can't remember what else. Now it seems like the other restaurants in the village are jumping on the band wagon. But at least it's different and they bring a change and a little business.

Go on, rub it in why dontcha.  All the grub and I've had me name on the waiting list for ages. Still luv ya Nonna.x