How's your day?

Off out again tomorrow all go isn't it........this time Derby Royal Hospital to see my Consultant....Son will be taking me plus the wife....be like a family outing.....Polish me shoes tonight and get my clothes out ready.....getting all excited......:wacko:

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Just been to the farm shop and bought a haggis. Don't forget it's Burn's night on Monday 25th. They're well stocked. I've never seen so many south of the border!

I bought a haggis today too, from Tesco though! It’s been so many years since I tried it before and I can’t remember if I liked it but thought it should have a second chance in these difficult times.

We have a flood alert round here primarily down the lower end of the village and at Gibsmere. The only people seriously at risk of being cut off are the residents of the care home at Hazelford, although the building itself is too high to flood as are the houses at Gibsmere. The last time it flooded the old folk were brought out by tractor and trailer. The village hall down the lane from us is the designated refuge until they can be rehoused. I have a boat in the garden and an inflatable in the garage but I'll leave it to the professionals to attempt a rescue. Having lived round here for 59 years I've seen all this before. I'm off to bed!

2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Don't forget it's Burn's night on Monday 25th

Prince Charles is being shown around a London hospital.  Towards the end of the visit, he is shown into a ward with a number people with no obvious signs of injury or disease. He goes to greet the first patient and the chap replies: "Fair fa' your honest sonsie face, Great chieftain e' the puddin' race!  Aboon them a' ye tak your place, Painch, tripe, or thairm; Weel are ye wordy o' a grace as lang's my arm." The prince, being somewhat confused (easily done) goes to the next patient and greets him. The patient replies: "Some hae meat, and canna eat, and some wad eat that want it, but we hae meat and can eat, and sae the Lord be thankit." The third starts rattling off: "Wee sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie! Thou need na start awa sae hasty, wi bickering brattle! I wad be laith to rin an chase thee, wi murdering pattle!" Prince Charles turns to the doctor and asks: "Is this mental ward?" "No" the doctor replies, "It's the serious Burns unit."

• Like 5

Just checked how far I have got on the 'Row to the Highlands' project. Should reach Pitlochry for teatime. The target has been extended from reaching Inverness this month, to reaching Loch Cam, where I go fishing. Thinking about the wonderful Highland fishing keeps me going :biggrin:

• Like 2

Just back from Derby Royal......all seems ok...going for Scan in a couple of weeks as a precaution;;;

Nice surprise when we got home...our lovely Neighbour Marlene opposite (no not Boycies wife) had made me a lovely big Stew.......bless her........

• Like 8

Because of the lovely messages you have sent asking about mum I am heartbroken to tell you that she passed away 30th December being with her at the end gives some comfort. With her death being so close to my auntie I was devastated the last year's that we lived together will always hold lovely memories. She enjoyed Christmas and spoke to family through zoom, due to her age and recent fall the doctor said she was unable to find the energy to go on.

Take care  

Dear Gem, I am so sorry to read about your mum and so soon after your auntie.  There aren't any words to help at such a time, except to say that without you, your love and care, her life would have been much the poorer.  

In a couple of weeks, it will be eleven years since the passing of my mum and I know how you will be feeling at the moment. However, I always say that you can't lose your mum. She's with you from the moment of conception and if, like you and I, mum is one of the most wonderful, she never leaves!

Not everyone is as lucky as we have been, to have a wonderful, caring mother with whom they have such an unbreakable bond.  Hold onto that, Gem. Think of her with love and let her go. She will never be far from you. Take care of yourself now, as that would be important to her.

In my sitting room is a framed photo of my mum with a vase of flowers next to it. She loved flowers and so she always has some. I chat to her often. Others may think that is silly but I know she hears me. Yours will hear you, too, so keep up the conversation. Mums always have their beady eye on us, you know!

• Like 1

Gem, I just want you to know that I am feeling for you as you grieve the passing of your mum.  It was good that you were with her to the end, though.   You can take comfort that you did all you could for her (and your Auntie) and, as Jill said, you have all your memories ....  my situation was very similar to yours and I know I think about my mum every day even though she died in 1997.  She lived with us for 16 years before she died and I feel very privileged that we were able to care for her until her passing.  
Hold on to the good memories, Gem xx

• Like 3

Very true, Oldphil. My father's photo is also displayed in the sitting room. It will soon be 15 years since he trundled off to brighter climes. He wasn't really a flowers person, so I keep his photo next to a wine rack!!

Gem , I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. You were lucky to have her near you in her last years along with your aunt . When my mum broke her femur she refused to walk , had 4 different carers and eventually went into a care home. Covid arrived and from when we went into lockdown  we couldn't see her. Every time I go into the village I have to pass the care home and automatically my eyes go up to her room expecting to see the edge of her bed. We insisted to see her ( all precautions taken) the day before she died. Sad but glad we saw her although she was already in a coma. Gem you have been very lucky and at least you have some lovely memories.

So sorry to hear about your mum and auntie Gem but you have memories and no-one can take them away from you.

Stay safe.