• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Sorry Witch was wrong....think it should be Which...or even wich ?            

Witch may be the right spelling Ben, we don’t really know what they’ve injected us with :crazy:

• Like 1

I've recently taken to going walking at night.  This is mostly because living in a local 'Beauty Spot', we do tend to get a bit overrun with folks during the day. So.. odd times I've driven the mile or so down to Garswood.. next village along.. parked at the side of the sunbed centre, which is closed.. and gone for a flattish walk of about three miles.

Tonight, as we seemed to be seeing the 'back end' of a weather front blowing through from the South West.. I set out at 9:30 pm to walk up the hill.  There is no lighting up there at all and it was pretty murky with a combination of proper mist...and the very fine rain often known locally as 'Billinge Mist'.  (The term is also used as rhyming slang for a certain condition resulting from the over consumption of alcohol...  :rolleyes:)   So... it was really only a case of one foot in front of the other and nothing to see but murk... the occasional  house light in the middle distance and.. oddly, the red lights atop the Liverpool dock cranes at least 20 miles away.

As I got closer to the top of the access road to the hill... things slowly changed.  General murk was replaced by identifiable layers and clouds of mist.  And ever more lights between me and Liverpool began to emerge from the gloom.

I reached the top of the access road and briefly considered pushing on to the very top of the hill.. but that is a different proposition in the pitch black. so I decided against it... only to hear on my return home that Blackpool Tower has been lit up blue to honour Capt. Tom. ... and the Tower is visible from the hill.. if you are lucky.. So..even though distant.. it would have been a unique sight.

Anyway.. I set off back down towards home and became increasingly impressed by the total lack of company and the increasing clarity of the views. It was all very atmospheric.  Yep, I could hear distant motorbikes and rather more cars that really ought to be about at after 10pm during a lock down. but it was still very pleasing. Just little old me.. the dark.. and the distant lights.

So.. home.. in.. quick shower.. beer.. and now installed on the PC typing rubbish.

You can't whack it...  :)

• Like 3

I have today received an email from the friend I was trying to find thru Nottstalgia. I last posted about her 2 years ago and she answered a few days ago. Apparently we had both been trying to find each other as well as other school friends. It is too many years than I care to remember since I have seen here, we lost touch eventually after leaving school when our career paths took us in different directions. 
I now have her phone number and we will be ringing each other to catch up (could take some time that) and hopefully when things are better meet up again. 
Thank you Nottstalgia.

• Like 6

I can echo that SG. Thanks to Katyjay, who put me in contact with two cousins, who I have not seen for at least 62 years (might be more). I've found that my favourite Aunt Ethel is clocking along, age 96. I have been handed two photo's of my younger brothers and a 1947 photo with my Grandad on. I can't remember ever seeing a picture of him. Even found out about me great grandparents..

Thank you Kath, I'm indebted to you.

• Like 2

Don't you have to stay in in the evening during lockdown. We have to have a genuine reason for being out at that time of evening. Not now as we are in yellow zone. Only one to go to do and go where we like with no restrictions. Don't think it will be soon though.

SG pleased you have finally found your long lost friend. Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't like it happened to me. I had been trying to trace my best school  friend with no luck. Eventually I did find her through friends reunited. Got in touch with her and said we were visiting Nottingham and we would be in touch. All arrangements were made , restauarant booked and off we trotted. I was so excited so as we saw them in the distance I rushed off and hugged her to death. We caught up during the meal and as we said goodbye we promised to keep in touch. No matter how hard I tried I could never find her again. Phone number non existent and all letters were unanswered. I felt so deflated I wished I'd never tried to contact her. Then I was left with the disturbing thought " wasn't I good enough for her or did she think she was too good to be my friend again"

I have got in touch with so many ex colleagues and school friends and I've never been disappointed and I'm still in touch with them all but this one really did upset me. I hope you will have many years to catch up S G.

Seems to be a lot of it about. I recently found an old school friend and neighbour on F'book.  We've not seen each other for 50+ years.  He sent me a picture of which I have a copy somewhere...  We had all been to someone's Birthday party and we'd be maybe around 8 or 9. He sent me two others of which I have no memory at all.  In one, we ae both in his front garden in Wolf Cub Uniform.  In another we are with a group of Cubs..all in overcoats and shorts, with only our Caps really giving away our true identities...  And..we are standing outside High Pavement School, though whether that was just a convenient meeting place or we were already attending.. is difficult to judge.

https://www.facebook.com/messenger_media/?thread_id=1793003650&attachment_id=3126695750891016&message_id=mid.%24cAABa8zwHs5V9mb_Z7F3aHqgy4-zp

Open the link to view.  A few names our Benjamin and maybe Trogg will recognise.:

Top L-R Sheila Wakefield holding Judith Chambers

Next, L-R John Barlow, Reggie Wakefield, Harold Bramley.

Next.. just visible behind hat and specs.. yours truly, then Gerald Sanders, Richard Chambers, Ray Hollifield and David Armstrong.

• Like 1

Reckon ive got the side effects of having the Jab,,

Tired

Headache

Aching

In fact feel awful. But there again i am Mardy,,,

I wish her well Trogg. Hope she feels soon and the side effects wear off.

That goes for you too Ben. Have another fag and dance the blues away.

• Like 2

I’ve heard that the Pfizer vaccine has fewer side effects than the Astra Zeneca one (even though the Pfizer one usually requires a  sit down period afterwards in case there’s an allergic reaction immediately afterwards).  That certainly seems to be the case with various people I’ve spoken to in our village.  Most people who had the AZ vaccine had some side effects, varying from just a mild headache starting a few hours afterwards to feeling really grotty with shaking and shivering.  None of the side effects lasted for more than 48 hours though, often much less

• Upvote 1

Just been to The Forest to have my jab. Had to change my mask for a medical one and got straight in, had the Pfizer one I am pleased to say. Waited for 15 minutes and then home. Very efficiently run, only thing missing tea and biscuits while you wait 15 minutes. Well done all the volunteers and the police. 

We had the AZ on Tuesday and last night at teatime I felt a bit "fluified' . 

Dropped to sleep whilst all the soaps were on . About 2 hours later woke up feeling fine !

Sleep must have done some good .

Today I have mostly been sorting my office out before having new shelving fitted. All I can say is "good grief"! and the maxim that invaluable accoutrements expands to fill the available space is certainly working well here.

My DB is adamant  that if an item has not been used in six months it can be thrown out unless I can say with certainty when it will be used again.

I always suspected there was a trace of insanity in her family...  :angry2:

Amazing had a kip and all my side effects have gone.........my Vaccine was the Pfizer.........Must effect people in different ways...Might have a dance BK but my fag days are long gone,,,,

11 hours ago, Brew said:

My DB is adamant  that if an item has not been used in six months it can be thrown out unless I can say with certainty when it will be used again.

Brew, your DB is quite correct. When we were doing process improvement activities in factories or offices we used a system called 5S the first step of which is to sort out all the stuff in say an office. The stuff should be sorted into groups.

Group 1 That which no-one remembers ever being used or at least not within the last year collect it up, sell it, donate it or throw it away.

Group 2 That which has been used between 6 months and a year, clearly label it and store it where it can be found if needed. If it is not used within the next 6 months it becomes a Group 1 item if it gets used in that time frame it becomes a Group 3 item.

Group 3 That which is used regularly, label it and store it on the basis of frequency of use, least used stuff on the higher shelves or at the back of cupboards, most used stuff where it is easily accessible.

Ah there's where you made your mistake Oz, Aussie methods don't work here. We use a long standing tradition of pile it up, bundle under a worktop, hide in dark corners then force it in a drawer and totally forget it. When you need something, pop down to the shop and  buy one just before remembering where to find the one you have at home.

• Like 5

Dead right Brew. Even with two of everything I still can't find the bleddy things:rolleyes:

07.40 this morning the builders merchant's lorry delivered a couple of big bags of ballast and sand and 6x cements. Planned to start putting footings in but the forecast looks bad :( Can't believe the price of bricks these days. Just average bricks are a quid each! Reclaims are even more. Anyone knocking an old house down? - I need about 1500...

• Like 1