• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

As I wrote earlier I was slowly taking the trees out, well yesterday I had dug all around the last tree cut most of the roots and removed some of the soil underneath it. I left the trunk 6 foot high to give me leverage to pull it over , expecting it to be a struggle I gave it all my might pulling it, a major mistake, the tree toppled over and I went with it. As I was falling backwards I automatically tried to stop myself falling by holding tightly onto the tree, which made the tree fall faster. 

As I was falling I thought this is going to hurt it seemed ages before I stopped falling and landed on the path and against the wall of the bungalow . After a short time I thought I am hurting but no blood so I am OK , I then tried to get up, well I never get down on the floor as I cannot get up without help, after numerous attempts I gave up and laid there. Well I had warm clothes on so I will be alright till someone comes to help me, it was ages before a neighbour saw me and came to help, after numerous attempts I was up.

Today I am extremely delicate and have been told numerous times I am a stupid silly old ******* and not safe to be left alone, I have now made the decision I am too old and not physically capable of doing things like that anymore .

• Like 2

Trogg, that must have been painful and embarrassing but you wrote about it so well I must admit your account was funny to read.... sorry xx

Hope you don’t have any lasting problems after your exciting tree stump removal.  

Ouch Trog! Hope you feel ok soon. I have been in similar situation but never learn.

I've been moving 12" thick slices of the yew tree today. They are about 70/80kg ea. Had to lever them up onto the wheelbarrow in stages and wrangle the wheelbarrow up steps. An accident waiting to happen but I was lucky. Then I brought 200 bricks and 12 concrete blocks down from the top of the garden and stacked them ready for the brickie. That should do for the footings. Called it a day when the rain started at 3.20.

Trogg, the story was funny but it wasn't........if you see what I mean. 

I  hope you'll be fully recovered before too long, because you'll have to do a bit of moving around to attend meet-ups when we're all fit and healthy again.

• Like 1

PP I know how you feel , like you I have always done things for myself and despite age and other problems I still carry on although a lot slower. I have promised the wife in future to pay for work to be done, but I know that soon I will be back to doing them myself. Its very hard accept it but life is for doing things that you enjoy and I am not yet ready for sitting about doing nothing.

So many tasks so little time

or as Ben would say

So many Ladies so little time.

• Like 5

The Wife and her friend ex next door neighbour still 'cry' with laughter when they recollect me falling thru our hedge onto neighbours garden......it was a 6 foot drop.......

I was asking the neighbours to turn the music down(only did it for a laugh) they were having a party and dancing on the garden....

Anyway as i parted the hedge and began asking..i could feel myself going........the wife said i put my hands together and my feet were pointing 'Skywards'' she gave me a perfect 10 for 'Presentation''' shouting F,,,,,, Hell as i went........it hurt when i Landed amongst the Dancers........but to save face i jumped up and began dancing........think the music was ''Rubber Ball''

• Like 5
23 hours ago, carni said:

It's been many years since my wedding, but if I remember correctly, Canon Watson, at Gedling All Hallows, opened the ceremony with the words......Dearly Beloved...We are gathered here to day.etc. 

Is that right LL, did he open with those words for you and your bride as well.:biggrin:

Hi Carni.  I hope you and hubbs are continuing to get over the Wuflu.

Yes Canon Watson did use those words to us.  It is standard in most denominations I think, as a general address, not only to the couple, but the congregation as they are considered witnesses to a legal covenant.  Used it myself as a Baptist, but I only did a couple of weddings in my career.

Did you ever hear what happened to Canon Watson after he retired?  We lost touch.  I doubt he is still in the land of the living now.  Can't find any mention of him on the web, except as a former minister of Gedling church.

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

Did you ever hear what happened to Canon Watson after he retired?  

Thankyou LL, we are slowly on the mend. We haven't got the strength of a baby between us yet, but on the right path.

I have no news on Canon Watson. I have just spent an hour looking for info on my laptop, but found nothing. Sorry.

A few years back, I did some research on him, but I don't think I kept any of the results. I will have another delve, see if I have any notes tucked away.

• Like 1

Change of subject again,

Query for PhilMayfield, as you have experience in the subject, can you tell me if you can do abdomen injections in a sitting position, ie, on the edge of a bed or should they be done standing?

BK, I’ve had to inject my tum after a couple of operations a few years ago, I sat and jabbed myself, no probs.  Just did it quickly, it was worse if I hovered and thought about it.  

That sounds a bit cold Ian, what’s that in real money?  The coldest I ever remember experiencing here in the UK was -17C probably 30+ years ago when we lived down south. 
Our grandchildren are in Czech Republic at the moment, going to school in -11c.  Thank goodness we don’t get such extremes in Nottingham. 

NThat is celcius temperatures in Saskatchewan we have severe cold temperature warnings out where bare skin can freeze in less than two minutes. Cars parking outside have block heater installed in the engine block to keep water and oil comparitively warm to help starting. You plug them in to a outdoor house receptical it uses about 500 watts .The oil on a dipstick if not plugged looks like molasses and if the car starts when you drive away feels like you are towing something and you are riding on board. How is the old Moggy 8 hope you are looking after her.

I seem to have got over the slight AZ Vaccine effects.  The sore arm is at about 1/4 or less of what I usually get from the Flu jab and the headache has gone. Let's hope the apparent slight disadvantage of the AZ jab v the Pfizer, particularly in protecting against the South African variant..isn't a deal breaker...:ohmy:

Trogg. I'm like you and I struggle to give up on doing stuff for myself.  I'm currently half way through re-laying the paving at the back of the house. I can just about work with the 2'x2' pavers, but the 2'x3' which form a sort of border..will be a bit of a struggle and I'll have to be slow and patient. using levers etc, rather than brute force.  I'm also part way through a complete re-decoration of the house except for bedrooms. It is slow work...

Done my good deed for the day. Treated 'er indoors yet again. This time I've bought her a new kettle for the kitchen. What with a new ironing board, a new kettle and got her a new Covid jab. I know how to spoil 'em!

Same here. I've just ordered a large planter for the bottom of the drive. We're having a 'Bleasby in Bloom' this year as we've had to cancel 

'Open Gardens'. We're all going to be making an effort to make the village look cheerful in these extraordinary times.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Done my good deed for the day. Treated 'er indoors yet again. This time I've bought her a new kettle for the kitchen. What with a new ironing board, a new kettle and got her a new Covid jab. I know how to spoil 'em!

Your generosity knows no bounds. You must be The Generous Briton they speak of?

• Like 1

Thank you ma'am, flattery will get you everywhere.

But you're right, I do know how to spoil her. Only last week I bought a set of scouring sponges and some new dish cloths. :rolleyes: