• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Nothing is more annoying than when you ask some-one to give you a quote and they never get back to you.                                                                                                Had a very nice man, yes a very nice man to give me a quote to decorate my lounge. What colour, matt. silk finish ect, Of cause following all H/S set by goverment. Thank-you I will give you a ring Saturday or Sunday with a price. Yes!!! your right no phone-call. If they don't or can't do the job why not say, or at least follow up visit with phone.       Normaly I like to do the job myself but none of us are getting any younger.

We live in an area where many people are older and past climbing ladders to do painting and other stuff, and many suffer from the same problem you have, no one turning up.

One of these days the tradies will wake up to the fact that all they have to do to win a job is turn up to quote when they say they would, offer a fair price, turn up on time, do a good job and clean up afterwards. They could then stop advertising as word of mouth and repeat jobs would keep them busy.

older

An old mate of mine, years ago went to do a quote for someone he wasn't too keen on. He looked at the job and didn't particularly want to do it so he "Loaded" the price. The customer agreed, say that was fair enough. So my mate thought "Sod it "! and did the the job. He said it was quite lucrative. 

Rainworth Fencing came round to quote me for two field gate posts 7’x7”x7” plus remove and rehang the 12’ gate. Both posts are rotten and have to be extracted. They rang back with the price the same day and I received the written quote the next. They are talking 3/4 weeks but that’s OK. I guessed £500. The quote was for £240. I could do it myself but why should I bother!

The office shelving is turning into a bit of a saga. I've taken the old ones down but now I'm told the walls look a bit grubby and needs painting, as does the ceiling. The curtains are old and won't match??? so will have to be replaced and am I sure my desk is really going to fit in with the new scheme?

Whaaat??  :Shock:

• Like 2

Have you tried lifting a seven foot 7” by 7” gatepost BK? I’ve done it before but I was a few years younger. Then there’s the two rotten posts to pull out. I do have a big farm jack but you’ve got to find something solid to attach it to. This is one for a couple of burly lads from Renn-uth. I’ve got to chainsaw back the hedge to give them room to work. It’ll be nice to have a free swinging gate again. 

If you want 'burly' that's what I have 'er indoors for. She does all me concrete mixing and lifting etc. She used to be a Stoker on a merchantman. 

• Like 1

Nothing to do with this thread but I've just watched a YT video of the bus route 78, Strelley to City Centre, (the old 62 terminus at Flamsteed road). Got to admit it was quite fascinating sitting on the top deck and doing the journey through its new route. Got lost from Maid Marian way and didn't realise what a turmoil Broad marsh is. It must be a nightmare trying to negotiate around that area, especially for a visitor or ex-pat like me. Those of you who drive round there, you all have my complete and utter admiration. An exile.

The cameras are out to get you down there Beekay.  A young man delivered my husband’s new car last week and 3 days later we received, in the post,  a Penalty Charge Notice ...... he’d driven our car in a Bus Lane ‘Canal Street near Greyfriar Gate Eastbound’  

Just a few days before I’d heard that a friend got a fine in the same place.  
I never need to drive around there but I’m now very aware of the financial penalties of doing so!! 

This morning we were expecting the plumber at 8am he rang and as it was raining heavily he asked if he could come this afternoon. He has to change 3 radiators plus other small jobs and he didn't want to traipse in and out making muddy footsteps everywhere. Thought that was considerate of him. He phoned a couple of minutes ago and said it had brightened up and stopped raining ( as it had here) so instead, in case the weather changed again could he come straightaway. Better still as long as it doesn't start to rain again. We've had a dreadful week, fog, rain, rain and fog. Really dismal.

21 hours ago, LizzieM said:

A young man delivered my husband’s new car last week and 3 days later we received, in the post,  a Penalty Charge Notice ...... he’d driven our car in a Bus Lane ‘Canal Street near Greyfriar Gate Eastbound’  

Just a few days before I’d heard that a friend got a fine in the same place.  

I've driven in that area several times since the layout changed and the bus lane is clearly marked, both by white paint in the road and big signs pointing out that it's buses only and monitored by cameras.

I think a lot of people drive on autopilot without looking at road signs around them. The problem is compounded if you haven't been there for a while, and discover it's totally different to the way it was the last time you were there.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I think a lot of people drive on autopilot without looking at road signs around them

Trouble is, there is too much street furniture, Drive down Derby road towards the lights at Radford boulevard. On the way down the bus lane us 7:30 to 9:30 and 3:30 to 4:30 (or thereabouts). You are watching all the traffic, correctly using the lane. Cross the junction behind a van, lorry or bus and you may not notice that the lane is now buses only 24/7. you spot it, and you have to quickly manoeuvre into the right hand lane - usually to someone's annoyance.

2 hours ago, oldphil said:

Trouble is, there is too much street furniture,

I agree.

My big hate is large numbers of traffic lights all close together one after the other. You look ahead and see a green light and think it's safe to go.....then you realise there's a red light in between you and the green one you first noticed.

I seem to recall some research a few years ago which demonstrated that people generally drove more cautiously in areas with minimal road paint and 'street furniture'.

That said..40+ years ago I was giving a workmate a lift home after a 12 hour nightshift.  I stopped at lights in St Helens Town Centre, saw a green light and went..  Seconds later a 'copper' flashed his lights and stopped me.  It seemed I had reacted to a green for pedestrians...:wacko:..He was very reasonable about it and just said to be more careful next time. 

Kev, you'd love the A580 'East Lancs Road', which runs from Walton in Liverpool, to Salford, then Manchester.. where it becomes the A6 for a bit before entering Manchester.  More lights than a Christmas Tree...

9 hours ago, oldphil said:

Trouble is, there is too much street furniture,

It is strange that if you talk about "Street Furniture" in OZ people think you are talking about benches, bus shelters, street lights, advertising signs, litter bins etc. if you talk about road signs then it includes all the other stuff.

I agree far too many signs, luckily our new car is smart enough to pick out speed signage and advise you if you are going over the limit as a pet peeve of mine is the number of times the speed limit changes on a length of road where there is no apparent difference in conditions.

Parking signs are another issue here. This one is a sign in Sydney taken from the SMH and I would defy anyone who has not got ten minutes to work out who can stop where or when.

Confusing parking signs are in the firing line.

Exciting!! I’m all of a dither! Just stood in Boots on Mapperley Top looking at the Voltarol (as you do) when the young scrap of a pharmacist starts screaming, “Get out! Get out!” Looked to my right and two youths are busy emptying the ladies cosmetic display into carrier bags! Just didn’t think. Took a couple of steps and gave the nearest one an almighty shove into his mate, who ran off. My chap said, “Touch me again and I’ll f****** kill you!” So I shoved him again and off he went.

Apparently, according to the pharmacist, it happens quite frequently, but the police aren’t that bothered. Toyed with the idea of phoning the police and saying I’d been threatened during a robbery to make them take notice, but the missus says I’ll probably be charged with assault!

• Like 5

Well done AG........Made me jealous....i so miss it....Watched an old chap in Tesco this morning fill two carrier bags with Magazines.........thought well i'm not getting paid by Tesco and the Police don't want to know....crack on Pal'''

An absolute pleasure to get out this morning...even though it was only Queens Medical for a check up (all ok) Also visited Bulwell made me sad like a ghost town...went in Tesco where i saw the Shoplifter.....i seem to spot one every time i go shopping....made me realise if i got involved i'd have a full time job again..but without pay........

Finished my trip out with Fish and chips in the car.....the excitement was non-stop........even drove...........

• Like 7

"There's no need to rush" she said, " you'll do a good job if you take it steady".

I last decorated in nineteen hundred and frozen to death but now I'm expected to patch and fill the holes where the old shelves were, paint the walls - after the ceiling and coving but before fitting a new light pendant. She is sure I will have no problem fitting new blinds, "how difficult can it be"? and a new carpet in a square room shouldn't be too difficult.....  should it?....  

What can possibly go wrong?    :faint: