• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I went for a walk late this afternoon.  Although I should have expected it as the weather has warmed up considerably, I wasn't ready for the numbers of people walking on MY access road to the hill.  I counted over 100 in a less than 1/2 mile stretch.  For info... on any other given Monday.. winter or Summer.. at about 4:30 p.m. I'd see one or two at most, and would be unsurprised to met nobody at all. The only benefit of such crowds is that I can justify indulging in my geriatric love of a good moan. Meldrew is an amateur compared to me. ;)

So..I took a slightly less usual route to avoid the mob, and walked alongside the little stream which runs through the fields a hundred yards or so below our house.  Now.. if you are a very sad person like me.. you notice physical details in the landscape.  You don't just stroll past with your head in the air.. or up your ****. 

The stream has changed... albeit probably temporarily.  After the floods which came before the cold snap.. all local streams and ponds were a muddy brown.. no doubt filled with the run off from the fields. This afternoon, the stream, flowing much less forcefully, was crystal clear.  But, more interesting to me.. was they way in which the recent floods seem to have 'graded' the assorted sand, gravel, pebbles and cobbles in there.  So now, there are distinct areas where gravel is piled up and all the individual bits looking clearly different colours.  Similar for larger cobbles etc... and in 'slack' areas especially, drifts and low banks of pure white fine sand.. all of its muddying plant decay etc.. washed away.  It won't last..  Assorted levels of rainfall will no doubt bring it back to its usual pretty normal status, and the plants will all grow up in the Spring.

Interesting though.  There's always something interesting to see at any time of year.  If you look..

• Like 5

I spent a couple of hours fishing on the Trent yesterday. It's only a small river - 10 or 15 yards wide here. I observe just what DJ observed yesterday on a regular basis. Rivers and streams are changing all the time and they have been changing even faster in the last few years with sudden spates occurring more often. Some parts of rivers will change even more with the introduction of Beavers.

I have been watching the local Trent change for over 40 years and hoping that I live long enough to see an Oxbow form. Trees were planted in the most likely place last year but as they grow the flood currents will divert and cut away the bankside elsewhere. 

It's not all about the fishing.

• Like 1

Lovely day yesterday, we had a relaxed sort of day. All thoughts of what we needed to do were pushed away to one side. We went to lunch at my sons restaurant, first time eating out for a long time. It felt as though there were no restrictions around. After a very busy weekend in both restaurants it was nice and quiet, just enough customers not to feel the only ones but not too many to feel it was too many in these times. The young chef who had taken over while my husband was in hospital and is now convalescing, really came out tops. He created some new dishes and is managing the kitchen very well. We did say he will either sink or swim.

I've been watching the collared doves in the garden. Male dove chasing after a group of females who've come down to feed.  What a display he put on. Strutting up and down, hopping, body posturing, displaying his tail feathers, preening. He's gone through all that with each female, one at a time while they were scoffing their breakfast. Then they all flew off and left him!  Ah!  Reminded me of our Ben! :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

QUERY..Can anybody help please. 

I'm trying to find out the location, where it was or if still there of Mulberry Street, Nottingham. Any help will be gratefully received. 

Thanking you in anticipation. Barrie. :clapping:

No idea Phil, hence the query. Apparently,  my mum and dad lived the in 1939, 4 years before I were born.

Hoped that some kind soul would have a street map that could help me.

Surreal at the moment. Went to bed shivering - very badly. Three blankets and winter duvet sort of worked. Hour later, woke up in a cold sweat. Banished to the spare room, window open wide and no duvet - bliss!

Still couldn't sleep, so walked the estate - very weird this time of night. Then how's this for surreal? Heard a swishing, getting louder, and three guys on mountain bikes with the brightest lights I've ever seen came flying down the main drag.

Back home, mug of tea and check the web. Apparently the mild fever (it didn't feel mild) means the immune system is working properly.

Will try to rest, if not sleep, for a bit. Think it might be an early breakfast and get the bike out.

Night Night!

• Like 2

@oldphil  I’ve given you a like, not because you had an uncomfortable night, but because that is what happened to us with the really bad shivering!  Didn’t go out for a midnight stroll, though!

wonder if the second jab will produce the same side effects?

52 minutes ago, MargieH said:

wonder if the second jab will produce the same side effects?

The nurse said the second jab is a top up to an already strengthened immune system, so shouldn't produce any reaction.

I love that word "shouldn't"

4 minutes ago, oldphil said:

It was the Oxford AZ - made in Liverpool!

Had the sore arm but not much else.

... except the shivering - that seems to be quite common

I had the Pfizer one on Saturday and all I got was a bit of an aching arm the next day, just as though someone had stuck a needle in it..:rolleyes:

I had it done at Lenton, Old Central studios, apparently Johnathan Van Tamm, him off the tele, was there earlier doing his bit injecting people, he didn't do me.

I had the Oxford AstraZenica jab yesterday afternoon. I felt Ok 'til I went to bed, when I felt very hot and slightly ill. This morning I feel very rough and shaky, rather like I have just had a bad bout of the 'flu. I am also very thirsty, drinking more tea and coffee than normal. I am sure I shall be fine after a day or two.

I read up on things a few days before. Sources suggest the second jab is worse than the second, as antibodies are already in your body. People who have had Covid feel the first jab worse, as it is equivalent to the second jab for everyone else.

Just wondering if maybe I have already had Covid some time in the last year and didn't realise.