• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Been a great day.........still speaking Hands free and finally sorted how to put music on here.............:Shock::ohmy:

Well done Gaffer ! Keep up the good work and more power to your elbow. Hope all goes well. Beekay.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I do, however, find that the pomp and circumstances in retaining and maintaining this group of

theatrically attired individuals have no further place to indulge themselves with unlimited rights and privileges in our society.

I would suggest that the paragraph I quote indicates quite a large degree of resentment and making scurrilous innuendos about Harry is unfair and borderline libel unless you can prove what you're alluding to.

As for unlimited rights I suspect that though very comfortable they have less freedom than you or I. Their days are carefully planned, often down to the minute, for years in advance and have to play nice with people they've never met and may not even like.

I recommend you Google for the Duchy of Cornwell and gather some facts before making unfounded allegations, it covers 21 counties for a start and pays for a large proportion of his official duties, his family plus a good few charities. In essence he costs you next to nowt!

One more thought, I wonder how you think your life would improve with Boris as President..

• Like 2

Well we have a good friend who’s a Knight of the Realm, achieved through Charity work.

And ..... I met the Queen’s hairdresser, Ian Carmichael, by a pool in Miami Beach a few years ago and then had dinner with him.  He was great company too. 

34 minutes ago, davep5491 said:

her mother was born a Prince.

My word m'lud, how long has this transgender malarkey been going on?

• Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 7:59 AM, carni said:

I know what triggered the last  episode. I stood up and moved towards the kitchen at speed, before I'd gone four steps the walls were moving.  I do have a habit of zooming around at home, so I am trying to control my movements a bit. Very difficult when you are a zoomer!

Were there large Cream Cakes in there Chris?  :rolleyes:

Seriously, one of the reasons I stopped doing car maintenance was that it was guaranteed to kick off vertigo, just from leaning into the engine compartment, but especially if I was rolling about underneath trying to reach some barely accessible part. Over years, I've learned to avoid sudden movements, including leaping out of bed too quickly.

Look after yersen Miduck..

• Like 1
11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’m quite close actually BK. My old co-director’s cousin married Lady Di’s cousin. These are the circles I move in! :biggrin:

As opposed to the ever decreasing ones I move in... :laugh:

I'm fairly neutral about royalty. To me, they are largely an irrelevance. I'm just not interested.

To be fair young Kate is rather lovely, comes across as genuine and seems hard working.

I think calling Megan Markle 'The Mekon' carries all sorts of connotations that I find very distasteful.  She's not from Britain, and she's black.  So what? The same applies to my future son in law.  He's served this country in Afghanistan and is now serving us again as a key worker. What have those hurling the insults actually done? 

As to the cost of the Royals.  It is a real cost and as such people are entitled to query it but... I'd put it at the back of a very long queue, behind the millions Jenrick cost Tower Hamlets Council by his illegal approval of Desmond's planning application... or the millions NOT being paid out by companies who sold, fitted and approved substandard cladding on thousands of dwellings, and let's not even mention the millions thrown away on 'mates' contracts during the current Covid Crisis.

6 hours ago, nonnaB said:

I've lost the recommendations for films that Margie and BK gave. I've just looked on Amazon prime , Normal people comes up but it seems it's not a film but a series. Is that right? The other two aren't available unfortunately as Stan was born in Ulveston near where I was born.

Hi Nonna,

Normal People is a TV Series based on a best selling book by Sally Rooney.  The Series was broadcast by BBC3 and is available for 'catch up' viewing on the BBC 'iPlayer'. I don't know what the arrangements are for viewing BBC in Italy.  It is also available on Amazon as, I think, both a download, (via Prime?) and a DVD.  Also the original book can be bought as a physical book on Amazon, or as an 'Audiobook'.  I've listened to the Audiobook and it makes certain issues much clearer. 

39 minutes ago, davep5491 said:

Not so Lizzie, my father was born a Prince, I am a Prince and my aunt was born a Prince.

I've known a few Queens in my time.....  but not intimately...  ;)

• Like 1

I noticed on BBC World News yesterday that the PoW visited his ailing dad in hospital. OK! fine but he was followed by a flunkeywearing a tailcoat. What century are these people living in?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, davep5491 said:

My cousin married a Viscount and Baron, her mother was born a Prince. Does that get me in?

I would say that you had a fair chance of joining the firm Dave. My wife is a King, (well she is now).

2 hours ago, jonab said:

I noticed on BBC World News yesterday that the PoW visited his ailing dad in hospital. OK! fine but he was followed by a flunkeywearing a tailcoat. What century are these people living in?

I don't see a problem with that, many occupations have a traditional uniform. Chefs toques for instance are from the 18th century.

Never known a place like where we now live....everything on our doorstep,,,,Shops all kinds...4 Chemists...2 Dentists...3 Doctors...Wetherspoons for Espresso...Barbers/Hairdressers...Clinic....even the Vet...all within a mile......

Wife going for her ''Jab'' this morning 2 minutes away....

And yet its so quiet where we are.......still miss Bulwell though...but only 20 minutes away...from family and friends...

Brew,

In the SW there are six listed Counties, Devon, Somerset and Gloucestershire; Cornwall, Wiltshire, Dorset, having a Unitary County status.

The remaining nine are unitary districts. Still, not a bad haul though for accruing revenue. The focus is the recovery of national assets from the current and future, ever expanding, incumbents’ of the monarchy to a more accountable position administered through a Parliamentary portal.

The Duchy, having existing rights since 1337 perhaps there might be a breeze veering towards a change for the better. Also a welcome end of the tiresome spectacle of the pomp, the bowing and scraping associated with the presence of the ‘royals’.

As for Boris, considered by some as a blusterer at the dispatch box, at least he is approachable and willing to accept criticism.

Unlike the head of the firm who is not to be touched in person albeit with the wrath of her god (something akin to the status enjoyed by the late Japanese Emperor Hirohito), when are they, or we, ever going to wake up to the 21 century?   

The duchy is not a public body or a company or a charity and therefore not liable to corporation tax though it is answerable to the government (treasury) and voluntarily pays tax. Charles holds it in trust and is only the titular head, he cannot do as he pleases with it. It is fully accountable - just not in a way Republicans approve.

You think the pomp tiresome but is there any country in the world, regardless of the type of government, that doesn't go in for it in one way or another? Let's face it, you simply resent Royalty and refuse to acknowledge the monarchy may have benefits. 

I didn't ask you what you thought of Boris, I asked how you would benefit, personally I see none and a great many disadvantages in giving the buffoon presidential status. I can think of a few despots that are Presidents  and where this conversation could not take place, none that are Kings or Queens.

Your last paragraph is quite frankly just silly.

• Like 1

I don't know any royalty, and have never met anyone famous!  I'm just a farm girl at heart, looking after my flock.

• Like 3