How's your day?

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

As I'm struggling to walk any distance at the moment I did some research too.  It seems the 10000 steps myth was originally created by a Japanese manufacturer of pedometers.  Oddly, the recommended figure I found was around 4500 steps, which is roughly what I was walking before my knees gave up recently.  At the moment I can manage about 2500.

Sorry to hear of your problems. It must be very frustrating. I really enjoy long walks. I did 61,488 steps today on a walk and often do 20-30,000. My shortest regular walks are around 10,000. Maybe I should be dead already ;)

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Notty.. I envy you.  It isn't so long ago that 20 miles in a day was easily 'doable' for me. I think it was 2008 last time I did that... only 13 years back.  But since then my legs have increasingly refused to work.  It's partly a joint thing.. both of my knees are now £$%^&ed... partly some sort of muscular thing in which the legs just refuse to work.. and partly I suppose, an increasing function of progressive Heart Failure.

It's a now looking like I may have a 'Baker's Cyst' in at least one knee.  Such fun!!!

"It's being so cheerful that keeps me going..." ;)

I hate walking, always have .Even at my best I could never have walked that distance. Longest ever attempted was 14 miles Mansfield to Nottingham for charity. Arrived hours later than everyone else only to be told the organiser had scarpered with the money!

Love walking as long as it is enjoyable countryside. I avoid all major roads and any that have heavy traffic.

I wouldn't enjoy 20 miles , too far for what's left of me!! I am happier 8-12 miles and am looking forward to getting out again in Derbyshire and Lakes.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Quite often walked a similar distance after missing the last bus home from Nottingham, 

Another coincidence OZ........PROBABLY passed each other....as i was walking From Mansfield to Bestwood... after a late night with the lovely Christine.............we must know each other......lol

• Like 1

Having done and still doing a pretty good job of keeping Australia relatively covid free, mainly by closing our borders and restricting who comes into the country, we are making a complete dogs breakfast of the vaccination process. Since 23 Feb when vaccinations began and up to yesterday we have only managed a paltry 687,000 initial doses. An average of just over 19,000 a day. In our state, South Australia, over the same period we have vaccinated 25,500 people, and average of 708 per day. An absolutely pathetic performance. The Federal government originally set a target of vaccinating at least 4 million people by early April and vaccination all adults by the end of October, some 20 million people, which means administering some 200,000 doses per day. Pigs might fly! We rang our GP yesterday and they said we are still waiting their approval to be a vaccination provider and if approved when they will be getting doses of vaccine. Most Australians will be receiving the Astra Zeneca vaccine as it is being manufactured here. Strangely enough our politicians received the Pfizer vaccine as part of the first group of "essential workers" A point which many would say is debatable.

Suddenly, we are told, the world and his dog are going crazy to rush out and buy Easter trees.

I've never heard of Easter trees. It has to be a pagan idea as, occasionally in hymns, Jesus is referred to as being 'nailed to the tree' and a representation of such a barbaric event is hardly likely to have the masses (no pun intended) rushing out to acquire one to display on the mantelpiece.

Is it one of those social media phenomena, where someone posts a picture of a few gold painted twigs and the herd stampedes to the nearest outlet so as not to be seen to be without?

Increasingly, I feel I'm living on an alien planet. Beam me up, Mr Spock! :wacko:

• Like 2

After 'big shop' at 6am :(and cement mixing etc in garden til 2;45pm :wacko: then it all turned and Forest won away:yahoo:now for beer.

Crippled at the moment. Started this walking daily malarkey and I'm now nursing blisters on my heels

Just goes to show Brew, exercise is not always the best medicine. Take it easy mate. Little slices at first, but treat your blisters first. Take care. Beekay.

• Like 1

Jim, it's possible you are just out of practice, but also that you are wearing the wrong footwear or socks.  Worth investing in a pair or two or 'proper' walking socks. The type which have two layers which can move against eackh other,  minimising the movement of foot/skin against shoe.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in other news.. Yesterday was murky here.. so I took the opportunity to collect the last few cut pavers from my daughter's. Even a decrepit old git like me can lift a 2'x1' flag, so I carried them in and stacked them neatly.  In a few months when I have recovered.. I may lay them..:laugh:.

Today by contrast was almost wall to wall sunshine, so that even though Alexa told me it was only 8 degrees out.. I spent five hours in the garden in ray catching attire.  I made a few basal cuttings of Lupins,, and a few semi-hardwood cuttings of a nice Penstemon which I need to dig out and replace with a younger plant as it has got a bit too old and rangey.

Then, I decided to drag my sun lounger out of winter storage at the side of the house and use it...

Two hours of utter bliss lounging in surprisingly warm sunshine.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a touch warmer, just as sunny and with lighter winds.  Fingers crossed.

We're at that time of year where low temperatures battle with increased day length and a sun higher in the sky. You win some.. you lose some..

49 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

'proper' walking socks

Not out of practice... I was never in.

We've been good children and stayed indoors as per and it's amazing how far we have fallen, we are almost institutionalised. At the start of lockdown it was frustrating not being allowed out but now finding the the will or energy to go out means climbing out of a very comfortable rut. 

This weeks total of about two hours 'amble' left us both in pain, herself more than I and me gasping for breath. We're not hugely overweight though our sylph like silhouettes are long gone. Perhaps using the walks to break in new shoes was not the best idea I've ever had...

Thanks for the tip Col, I've never heard of them, investigations are called for...

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've never heard of Easter trees.

Neither have I but we do have Easter Bilbies here in OZ. The Bilby is an endangered native marsupial with long ears like a rabbit. I understand that Easter eggs are symbolic of the empty tomb after JC was resurrected but where did the Easter Bunny come from? Bunnies don't lay eggs, at least none that I know of do. I could understand Easter chickens but not bunnies. (Image from Save the Bilby Fund)

image.jpeg.ddfcd2722d8ceafa6237437b77ee0ce9.jpeg

RE: 'Easter'

Surely we all know that both Christmas and Easter are festivals which contain a mix of Christian and Pagan elements?  

Eggs are of course a symbol of new life.  Bunnies?  Well they certainly breed like..

Holly and Ivy.. both evergreen.. symbols of life through the winter..

Etc..

You do not break in shoes if they do not feel right first time you do not buy them & when buying shoes buy them early in the day when your feet are rested, no walking into town to try them on. I now only own 2 pairs of shoes, both Dr Martins boot & shoe, 1 pair of Adidas runners, 2 pairs of Merrells for work, like slippers.

Socks the more cotton the better, I started buying these for work https://www.decathlon.co.uk/search?Ntt=Walking+socks+mens short, mid & long depending on weather, I now wear these socks when not @ work, normal socks (even my best £18 Fred Perry) now feel shite. 

• Like 4

Appreciate the tips RR. Decathlon are the last pace I would have considered for buying socks.

Got a thing about 'Socks'..and Feet'''   Socks.......they must be ...

Thick...

Black or dark blue...

Knee Length..

Only taken off for....Shower/Bath...Bed...or when Paddling.......

Men who wear shoes with no socks i would Prosecute.....Likewise those ''Cut away socks''.

Would never allow 'Bare feet'' in the house......

Never visit a house where you must remove shoes....

'Mind..i'm not one for visiting anyway...........

Apart from all that..i'm very sociable........:)

All above only applies to mens feet....womens are ok...........

• Like 1