• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

@radfordred  the thieves will be laughing when they tell their mates about  your helping them!

We had our last caravan stolen about 7 years ago from the front of our house at about 11 am.  I suppose it looks less suspicious if they take it during daylight hours.   The theft was caught on CCTV - even the car reg - but the police weren’t really helpful when they found out it was a stolen car.  
I hope they didn’t try to use the toilet though, as Paul had removed the cassette thingy to clean it out and it was drying out in our back garden!

• Like 1

Just had a call from an old friend. He’s booked a table for three of us at the Waggon and Horses on Thursday from 7 to 8.30. I don’t really fancy sitting out in the cold drinking beer but it would be churlish of of me to turn the invitation down since we haven’t met up for over a year! Must wrap up warm. Flat cap, tweed coat and scarf - probably gloves as well!

My Son met his mates last night, ordering & payment of drinks was done via app only, he tells me two of them said they could not download the app, so they never brought a round. 

Must get them in every generation? 

• Upvote 1

On the subject of bare faced cheek a jointer working in the substation on St James street Kimberley helped a colleague load scrap cable and switchgear into the back of an EMEB van... except he didn't. The van was stolen and the guy was never seen again...

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Took my car to the usual carwash this afternoon, £10! HOW MUCH?? I asked why the increase, it's because of Covid he said. I drove off and found another...  Cheeky sod...

£10!.. thats cheap, Here in Windsor, before Covid, the indoor carwash charged a minimum of £25..... and no discount for Electric! ....................to be fair, that was for a clean inside and outside, they also demand cash........umm..........not a good move during this Covid pandemic!

NM here in the real world the average price for a car is a fiver, six quid for an SUV and various for  cleaning inside.

Bet yer wish yer wernt posh nah dontcher

The one I went to uses GoWash app for payment... smile2

Well we braved a cool April evening and sat outside Piccolinos, Weekday Cross this evening and had a very nice meal and drinks.  We had dressed appropriately but they’d put heaters by the tables so it was fairly cosy.  
I doubt we would have bothered to venture out but friends rang last night and asked us to join them at 6pm this evening. 
Had a bit of a rush to get out as we’d had my elderly aunt round for tea and cream cakes this afternoon.  Her two sons, my lovely cousins, brought her over for a change of scenery, even though we shouldn’t be mixing indoors she needed company and a distraction from what’s going on in her life.

Her husband of 70 years has been in QMC since Good Friday, very poorly, refusing food and water so he’s on a drip.  She’s accepted that he probably won’t come home to her again, it’s so sad.

Tomorrow afternoon I’m going to her house for a couple of hours.  I should think there’s nothing worse than being totally alone when, in her case, she’s had my uncle there 24/7 for the past 30 years,  

I’ve always been very close to these two. When I was a toddler they used to take me out once a week and always bought me a toy.  As my Mum passed away over 30 years ago I’ve sort of looked upon my aunt as a surrogate mum, she’s always been there for me so now it’s time for me to be there for her.  

• Like 12

An extremely helpful chap in our street gave a few lads a push to get a car started.  Unfortunately it wasn't their car.  It belonged to another neighbour. 

..and the neighbour who did the helping.. was our local Neighbourhood Watch organiser.

9 hours ago, Brew said:

NM here in the real world the average price for a car is a fiver, six quid for an SUV and various for  cleaning inside.

Bet yer wish yer wernt posh nah dontcher

The one I went to uses GoWash app for payment... smile2

Your right! Prices have gone crazy here since Harry met Megan......we even spent £6m doing up an old house for it to stand empty, except for the odd visit to attend funerals! 

Yesterday, apart from entertaining an elderly aunt ...... against Covid rules but a necessary action under the circumstances ..... my husband loaded my car up with various items to take to the council recycling centre on Redfield Road, the only one we’re permitted to use apparently, as City residents.  He arrived before they opened the gates and nobody else turned up in the meantime.  He asked one of the employees where to put 2 boxes of rubble and was told there was a charge of £8.  Who knew that?  Anyway, he grudgingly paid up but the guy asked for his postcode and said it wouldn’t cost anything if he was a County resident ...... doesn’t make sense that!  
He then filled my car up (it had been running on fumes for a couple of days), took it to our usual car-wash in Radford, £10 inside and out and a lovely job and THEN went and had 4 new tyres fitted.  It’s like a new car now!  

• Upvote 1

Better weather today.  Only marginally 'Baltic'..  Alexa tells me it's 8 degrees outside with an expected high of 12 degrees.  Positively balmy c.f. recent days.  Wind has dropped and the Sun is warm when not behind a cloud.  I may catch a few rays later.. when I've done the hoovering..:mellow:

P.S.  There's always a downside..  I seem to be once more living in the middle of the 'Grand Duchy Annual Formation Jet Washing, Random Drilling and Electric Lawnmower Sound Off Championship'.. Bloke three doors down over the back is jet washing whilst wearing ear defenders.  He hasn't offered me any...

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

He asked one of the employees where to put 2 boxes of rubble and was told there was a charge of £8.  Who knew that?  Anyway, he grudgingly paid up but the guy asked for his postcode and said it wouldn’t cost anything if he was a County resident ...... doesn’t make sense that!  

That sounds like it might be somebody making up his own rules and putting things in his pocket !

Well it wasn’t CT, that’s what I immediately said when he came back home and told me, but actually it was a card payment, the guy said they didn’t take cash!  

14 hours ago, LizzieM said:

she’s always been there for me so now it’s time for me to be there for her.  

I knew you were a gud un Lizzie...     

• Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 9:52 AM, Beekay said:

Isn't it called a 'Bucky or Buckby Can,

Yes just read me post and then realised.... Its  "Buckby Can" 

Re: Rubbish disposal.... as you know.. I'm not one to complain..:rolleyes: but.. some builder dumped a full wagon load of building waste right next to our local fishing ponds.  It seems the barrier on the access road was left open for about 24 hours and they swooped.  These morons should be strung up.

Where did he get the money from?.. Eh?...;)

His dad and the Duchy which as you know is not taxpayers money...  His mam left him a fair few quid as well

Just sat down for my mid morning cuppa and a couple of my favourite biscuits. McVities Digestives, imported from the UK as the local equivalents are nowhere near as nice. Just had my first bite and ugh!  They did not have the normal snap and crumble they usually had and were more chewy in texture. Not pleasant at all, I checked the use by date and were well within that, the packaging looked OK as I thought they might be stale but that looked alright too. Have they changed the recipe? If so they have lost a loyal customer.

On looking in the pantry to see if we had another packet, no such luck, I saw that the crisps that used to come in a 175 gram bag now come in a 150 grams, of course price unchanged.  Another customer gone. The same is happening with our packaged beer, the standard used to be a 375 ml can or bottle, they are now being sold in 345, 330 and 300 ml cans and the prices have gone up? I now seriously review my beer purchases too. So called "craft" and "imported" beers that are made locally are the worst for this.

I don't eat a lot of biscuits but the last time i tried digestives they were own brand and quite different in taste and texture. McVities still he same as far as I remember though.

175g Crisps? are we talking multipacks? Walkers were only 25g last I looked and Tesco own were 15...