• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Second jab this after noon and a little different. In ten minutes early (forgot my card), and this time felt the needle. Sat for a few minutes and felt a little disoriented but it soon passed. Thirty minutes on and I have a slight taste in the back of my throat but all in all fine...  Many have had worse..

• Upvote 1

OZ I was interested in your post about McVities digestives. I had a similar experience some time ago. I always buy them to make cheesescakes for my sons restaurant and of course have the odd biscuit. (I buy them for us too) This particular time they were bought from our usual supermarket , just saw MV digestives so popped them into the trolley. At home after making a pot of tea I started to eat one. They were not the same they were as you said they tasted stale and like sawdust. They went in the bin then I wrote to MV to ask if they'd changed their recipe. Meanwhile waiting for a reply ( which I didnt get) I went to the same supermarket and along the biscuit shelves MV' s name popped out. There were 2 sorts of digestives. The ones I had picked up,previously were different, they were wholemeal instead of ( I think) sweetmeal. I bought the others and they were exactly the same as theyve always been. Maybe this happened to you. In these days lots of people are thinking healthy so maybe think that these wholemeal ones are more healthy , who knows. Look next time you shop perhaps you'll find both sorts. Try writing to MV's and maybe you'll be luckier than me.

nonnaB, that's a very good point and to be honest I did not look at the packaging to see if it was wholemeal or not.

I did notice that the biscuits seemed to be larger than "normal" and that as they were put in the biscuit tin seemed to break more easily.

I'll certainly remember to have a close look next time, thanks Oz

• Like 1

As an aside.. In my capacity as a Careers Adviser I once went on a visit to a company in the Newton Le Willows/Earlestown area of St Helens.  I recall it was in part of what used to be the 'Vulcan Foundry'..which way back, made many steam locomotives.  There was an Italian owned company in there..which made very long ovens..which would take in dough at one end..and spit out cooked biscuits at the other..

But..and more interesting to me.. another section made 'dies' for all sorts of food products.  So.. there were..as I recall.. metal moulds or dies for assorted well known sweets..  But most of all.. a section which made brass cylinders with engraved and pierced McVities shapes repeated around them.  These were meant to be rolled over biscuit dough to produce the raw biscuits. It was the last place I went where I saw real.. old style 'bench fitting', alongside CNC machining.

And more incidentally.. it seems that Mc Vities for the Japanese market are smaller.. as Japanese typically have smaller mouths than Westerners.

Which finally brings me to a TV prog some years ago. which featured TV ads from around the World.  In one.. a Japanese mother brings out a tray to her kids in the garden. whereupon they all cry.. 'Aahh.. Mac a Witties Chokorate Digestive!!"

• Like 2

Nowt to do wi owt, but we've finally made an escape.

A view from our window. Weather fantastic...

IMG-d5173c8a06084f58e74c11e3bb215faa-V.j

Margie, threw my rubber brick through your window but missed.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

After my various run ins with the gigantic Nottingham spiders (Big Bertha, Gigantic Gertie) I realised as I was sweeping my side room (where they had their tenants agreement) that I hadn’t seen any for a long time. I did become a bit more cautious as I was moving stuff after that. 
Then I saw movement as something ran up the wall. Yes it was a spider but a “normal” sized one, not hairy, no dripping fangs, wasn’t built like Mike Tyson and it was running away from me and not towards as the others seemed to do. It eventually stopped and pretended it wasn’t really there, as they do, so I finished what I had to do. It was still there pretending it wasn’t when I had finished so I got my trusty spider catching kit. I must say I am getting quite good at doing this (probably famous last words) and it was very co-operative letting me guide it carefully into my plastic jar without any problem with only one slight dither from me. Gold star for us both.

It now resides in my newly cleaned window in the side room where it can be found sunning itself on the narrow window sill. Don’t want to put it out at the moment as the mornings can still be a bit frosty (I know, I know I am a bit of a softy) but when the weather improves it might have to take up residence in my sweet peas. Normal tenancy rules apply!

• Like 3

@Beekay pleased you missed our house - our next door neighbour is not a happy man, though!

How long are you staying at Wroxham?

Lord and Covid willing, we're here all week. Had a brilliant drive up.

Love it when we pass through Elveden forest. Clear blue sky all the way.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MargieH said:

How long are you staying at Wroxham?

I can't resist... "Oi had a Gal.. really nice gal.. down in Wroxham way....  all together now!!

Enjoy your hols Beekay!  :)

In other news .. Today I dug a trench for this year's bean crop.  Put my last bag of home made compost in the bottom and backfilled it.  Then started putting up a frame of coppiced Hazel poles as a support.  I haven't actually planted any beans yet.. and I don't think there's any hurry.  It's still a bit cowd.

• Like 1

How times have changed....

I remember the Singing Postman but never felt uncomfortable about those lyrics then.   I know some people still smoke - just as I used to - and that’s their choice, but she was even smoking heavily when she had her babies!

Just to say, I’m not writing as  ‘Disgusted from Cambs’ -  I know it’s only a ‘funny’ song and needs to be seen in context.  Catchy little tune, though.

• Like 1

SG you reminded me about a friend of mind who wouldnt hurt a fly by picking up the spider and telling it not to come back. She swore it worked. I shall have to try that as the weather improves telling the mosquitos, lizards and cimice not to set foot over the doorstep.

Morning Margie, you know, I never gave much thought to that song afore, but sitting here looking over the river at the multitude of swans and boats, that I'm in that place of the song...

"I gotta gal, a real nice gal. Down in Wroxham way",

"Heya gorra loight boy, heya gorra loight"?

• Like 2

An apology to DJ360, sorry Col, I've only just noticed your post on the last page regarding Allen Smethurst. If I'd seen that I wouldn't have posted the above. As stated, I never gave it a thought, but when that song came out I'd never heard of Wroxham, or East Anglia come to that!

• Like 1

Margie and Beekay.  While I was looking for 'Hev You Got A Loight Boy', I discovered that Smethhurst had written many more songs than I ever knew.  I think he's now regarded as much more than a 'novelty' performer..and given credit for his astute social observations. Some see him as a precursor of the likes of  Billy Connelly, Max Boyce, Bernard Wrigley et.al.

I also didn't know that Smethurst came to a rather sad end.  He suffered stage fright and turned to the booze to help him...which in the long term did the opposite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Smethurst

• Upvote 1

Been having a listen to some of his songs on Y.T. Col. Most enjoyable and amusing to hear. Makes quite a pleasant change.

• Like 1

I was expecting a package from Amazon today. A barbecue set containing a sharp knife. The message said I would have to prove that I was over 18 to receive it. When the driver arrived I asked him if he wanted to check my age. He looked me up and down and said ‘that won’t be necessary!’ I felt quite deflated. :biggrin:

• Like 4

We had amazon deliver wine and the driver insisted he took a photograph of my licence as proof of age.

"Not on your nelly sunshine... take it back" and he did!

I guess some of us are just too good looking for our good...:rolleyes:

Would have thought that could lead to some bugger copying your licence Brew. Shoulda showed your Nostalgia membership.

10 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

It seems I've lost my youthful looks! Still feel 18 though.

I often feel like an 18 year old, but where can you get one this time of the day?

That's why I refused! it could easily have been in some print shop in Eastern Europe within the hour...