How's your day?

I first saw them when my mum bought a Chow Mein for my dad's evening meal. At the time it was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

I was fascinated by the crispy noodles; I always wanted to be the one who put them in the frying pan and watch them burst into life.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My father tried a few of those when they first appeared. My mother gazed at the contents of the box in disgust!  The noodles were, if I remember rightly, in a rectangle with little perforations and had to be broken apart. It looked like a sheet of cardboard.

The noodles puffed up when cooked but still tasted like cardboard!  Do they still make these ready meals?

Dad wasn't too impressed with the meals in boxes. He liked curries, having spent time in India, but preferred to visit Burton's in town and gather the spices to make his own. He was a good, if rather messy, cook.  Every week, on Fridays, we'd have Bubble and Squeak cooked by dad. We loved it!

If memory is correct, the noodles in the Chow Mein were in a little cellophane packet, consisting of brittle strips. When dropped in hot fat they would then burst into life. They were the nearest thing you could get to Nibbets (remember them?). I could quite easily eat a plate of them on their own. Were the main ingredients freeze dried? Not a bad stand by though when stuck for time.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Mrs Col is house/cat sitting until Monday..so at least I can play music and wat ch whatever I want on telly.

While the cats away the mice shall play proverb springs to mind. I too like to have the house to myself. Enjoy the rest of the day or should I say weekend.

• Like 1

Lizzie glad you had a good day, just like i would like. I dont know if there are any sales or closing downs anywhere near but love to find out. Ive put on 5 kg in this last year and am having a job losing them, consequently the clothes I bought in Sicily 14 mths ago are too tight. Summer is just round the corner so they will be no good to me as they were all or mostly winter/ spring items. I wanted to buy things to go with them all ( mostly trousers) but couldnt find anything that either matched or didn't like so I thought I would find them at home. But no we came into lockdown. Never mind when we are a bit safer we are planning to have a weekend back in Sicily to buy more clothes. I'm fed up of wearing tracksuits.

• Like 1

Oz.. No ..it was a Tesco Chicken Vindaloo with rice... things have moved on a bit in the ready meal dept.  Still I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Vesta... in a pinch... They had a certain charm..and were very good for camping etc.. being lightweight. They were what they were..dried goods mixed up into a recipe.  They didn't really bear comparison with whtever they were supposed to be.. they just were what they were.

I found that the curry version benefitted from some time just soaking, before being simmered.  The Risotto was OK..ish.  The Chow Mein was good.  I used to like to cook the crsipy noodles as per.. then fold them into the rest so they went  bit soggy.  I've never been much of a fan of over crispy things.  That said.. I do recall the angled Nibb-Bits jar that useter sit on the counter of the Off Sales at my Grandma's pub in Bestwood Village.

If I recall.. Vesta (Batchelors?) also did something sort of Italian involving spiral pasta.. but I can't remember what it was. I wasn't keen on that one.

P.S.  Quick Google shows them still available in Tesco and via Amazon.

I may try a couple for old times sake.

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

And anything for the weekend sir?

As a kid I remember the barber asking my dad that, I wondered what that was all about then.

It reminds me of the graffiti on pub walls next to the vending machine in the blokes toilets.

"Buy me and stop one.... Buy 2 and be one jump ahead"

7 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Loved Nibbets, weren't they made from potato? Can you still get them?

I can recall the name..were they made from corn?  shaped like workman's tools? Spanners, Hammers etc..became 'sophisticated' and introduced S&V...Later?

I recall Vesta, yes, camping...

The first time I heard the word Pizza was about '71, after footy practice, mate ran home because it would be getting cold...?

Grandad always liked Camp Coffee, nobody else did! along with vista, their was another popular Indian food brand,that he liked, think that it began with a B?

6 hours ago, HSR said:

shaped like workman's tools? Spanners, Hammers etc

That's not the Nibbits I remember, the ones I recall were more like "French fries" in shape. Apparently Pom Bears from Morrisons and I assume other supermarkets taste very similar.

6 hours ago, HSR said:

Camp Coffee,

My dad would only drink Camp Coffee, with chicory essence. I think it was a throwback from the war. It was just about acceptable if it was made with a full cup of milk.

6 hours ago, HSR said:

I recall Vesta, yes, camping...

Camping for us was tins of Fray Bentos stewed steak, packets of Surprise peas and Deb mashed potato. All carried on your back along with the tent, sleeping bag, calor gas stove and cooking and eating utensils

6 hours ago, HSR said:

another popular Indian food brand,that he liked, think that it began with a B?

would that be Britannia? I remember eating their snacks when I was working in India.

• Like 1

Nibbets were nothing like pom bears, quavers or whatever. They were, in shape, very similar to vesta crispy noodles only straighter.

They had their own unique taste. I loved starting at one end and nibbling down the piece like a rabbit. That's  why they were called Nibbets. Another favourite when I were about 10, was a cup of Oxo and slice of bread for a penny, at the YMCA. Still have that now sometimes for me evening drink, while 'er indoors has Ovaltine.

I knew how to spend me money back then. Didn't need bus fare home Phil., the YMCA was on the other side of our street. That is, until they closed it and moved the club to join in with a club on Willoughby Street (I think). For some reason, Monty Hind club comes to mind.

Thankyou Lizzie. We managed this year to have a fairly " normal ?" Celebration. We invited some of my inlaws ( just 3 sisters and 1 Partner). We only had a cake and a few nibbles and  couple of bottles of bubbly but it was nice to be together in company. We had decided to sit outside so I put cushions on all the chairs then it got windy so we stayed in the kitchen. 

• Like 1

Great day yesterday.....two of my Grandsons (9 and 6) spent the day with us...not seen em for about a year........i'm not an openly doting Grandad but i do love em to bits.......they spent all day playing on the Garden...mostly football...so decided to see if i'd still got any of my old skills.........much to their pleasure (and mine) i had..........

They loved it and couldnt stop laughing...I'd put my shorts and football socks on and was actually running with em...didnt think i still could....

They chanted ''Grandad'' ''Grandad'' so obviously played to the crowd.......felt ten years younger...when they went home...

Made me realise how much i'd missed em......to top it all..when the Daughter picked em up.....i saw my nearly two year old Grandaughter........who is obviously beautiful and full of cheeky character.........all in all a wonderful day............

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

http://20210502-122449-Original.jpg

Done it again, wanted to post a pic of the beautiful flowers I got yesterday. Ipad won't let me and pc when i call up post image all the photographs have disappeared. Even trying to transfer a pic from google to apple doesnt work. I really should stop trying to outdo the pc by messing things up. Will keep trying .

• Like 1

CT which "old" photo? Last years 50 th anniversary one? No it won't be that one because we forgot to take any photos....busy catching up with in laws. I did take a few before they arrived though, but none with us. The only one was a video pic with my brother in law in France. He kept saying

" bacio, bacio, (kiss) so we did and he took the photo and sent it.

The one on Facebook a few days ago; you and your husband a few years ago.

...and I'm not sure what the problem is with posting photos here, but although they don't seem to work when you post them, I've edited the original and made it appear.

• Like 1