How's your day?

I used to go regularly to the Bentinck coffee bar in Mansfield when I worked at Harlow Wood.  That would be in 1960 - 62 ish.

Strangely, my Paul used to also go there in those years when he lived in Mansfield Woodhouse but we never met!  Obviously that wasn’t the right time...  we met in 1963 when I had moved to Leicester and he’d moved with his family to Melton Mowbray!  That WAS the right time!

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

19 hours ago, ube said:

Moored on the Erewash Canal with 4 other boats... Fire bin going and the beer is flowing.... All is good:biggrin::biggrin:

Ube, our cousins will be at Trent Lock either Wednesday or Thursday of this next week. Hope you get to meet them.

This morning getting something from freezer my eye caught something near the door. It was another baby mouse or so I thought. It turns out to be a " toporagno" a common shrew. The one the other day didnt really convince me it was a mouse thinking about it. Ive only seen one once before and that was at the front door going backwards and forwards peeping out from a crack in the skirting board or should I say between the grouting. I quickly sealed it up and we've not seen one since. This has now got me worried, is it just 2 odd ones or a litter of them. I cant find where or how theyve got in apart from the open front door. At the moment I've put teatree soaked cotton pads down everywhere thats animal safe , so hoping it will at least keep any more at bay til i can get some peppermint essential oil.

It is the season when rodents tend to come out when the grass is cut opposite but its not been cut yet :(

Ian, I prefer it to be called predestination rather than fate, but .... whatever it’s called, it was meant to be.

Hope castanets won’t be too loud, or the little bats could panic thinking there’s a strange huge bat waiting to get them ...

i bet one can buy bat clickers online!!

BK I just click my fingers (And I wanted to say they all come running but that ship has defineitely sailed!)

Jill, claves might be better but I still reckon finger clicking is more natural....?  If you want to have a laugh - or maybe an ouch - look up bat clickers on Google :wacko:

No bats tonight. However, I did see Horace the hedgehog, munching away at his dog food and mealworms! Judging by the noise he was making, he was enjoying his supper, bless him!

Also encountered Princess Puss, the long haired torrtie and white cat. Swanky fluorescent pink collar and a diamante studded id disc. A bit precious, she is. Tail straight up. Didn't want to talk to me. Better things to do!

16 hours ago, mary1947 said:

DJ360 liked your comment about your stick,I have just stated to have to use one. At first thought everyone was looking at me but now if i have to use it (most times needed) i will, the only problem that I have is shopping.

Mary, I find a well used stick can alter the way people treat you... You just need to learn how to fake a pained expression as you totter bravely around the shop.  ;)  But seriously.. I normally only take a stick out for a substantial walk.  I was doing that long before I had knee problems. A stick has many uses when you are out and about, from poking about, pushing brambles out of the way, steadying yourself on steep muddy paths etc.

Here's a tip.  When the pandemic first started, I was bleaching/disinfecting all shopping, my car, my cash card and the wallet I keep it in.  When the penny dropped I made a point of putting my card in a pocket separately. So.. no fumbling with wallet etc.  Just take card out.. make a (usually) contactless payment and it's job done. I also keep a strong plastic carrier bag in one fleece pocket and a mask in the other.. And I don't carry a handbag. :)

• Like 1

Jill strange you didnt see any bats, we've not seen them the last few nights. Granted it has rained but our lodger behind the shutter hasn't been home either. Is there a rave somewhere?

They are all round at Margie's, Nonna! She's inadvertently clicked news of a huge Batfest with as many free insects as you can eat!

I was surprised not to see any last night as the sky was clear under what bit of a moon there was and there were gnats about.

• Upvote 1

Never a dull moment down here in the "Valle". Opened the door to let the dogs in and 2 swallows swooped in towards the door probably saw the Christmas wrapped porch light and thought better of it. Nearly had them both in for lunch. There are loads around this morning.

Just Scalded mesen...with Coffee on the inside of my arm just above the wrist.........never been Scalded afore....bleddy painful.....:Shock:

Remedy's please.........

Thanks Jill.....Donna getting some when she goes shopping later..pain easing now........

Was Quite funny really...i was putting my metal coffee cup on a bookcase in the hallway...and caught Grandads big Navy picture with it......as it was falling tried to catch it with cup still in hand...hence the coffee all over my arm..........all Donna heard was the crashing of Grandads photo and the clanging as the metal cup bounced about.......with my lack of sound'' (ie silent scream) she came running not knowing what to find.....bless her.............

Edit......think it was Grandads way of reminding me its his Birthday tomorrow...18th May 1900..........

• Like 3

My Smartphone 'died' a couple of days ago. It had been a bit flakey for a day or so.. freezing etc.. Then it just went blank.. (I know the feeling..) ..wouldn't start up, charge..nothing.  After a bit of Googling I found a fix which involved holding down three buttons for about 10-15 seconds..whereupon the thing 'booted up' and has been pretty much OK since.

However.. it's still an old device in phone terms.  a Samsung A3 (2016) version... in which I replaced the battery a couple of years ago. I reckon it's getting due for replacement now. The main reason I bought that particular phone was because it is quite small...a bit over 5" overall.  The majority of phones now are huge in comparison., with 6, or even 7" screens!!!.  might as well buy a tablet and have done with..

A lot of googling has revealed that there are very few 'small' phones on the market now.. apparently there's no demand..... :angry: There's the iPhone Mini.. pretty much the same size as my Samsung, but around £600-900 which is more than I want or think I need.. to spend. Plus I'm not an Apple fan.  Maybe one or two other contenders.

So at present I'm looking at highly recommended phones such as the Google Pixel 4a.. or the Motorola G9  'power'.  My first smartphone was a MotoG and I coudn't fault it until I dropped it. and it wasn't worth repairing.

I don't play games, or  stream films etc.. and I don't have my whole life on my phone. I don't need poncey cameras etc. I have two excellent 'proper' cameras.  Just a decent phone with either 32Gig internal storage plus an SD card slot, or say 128 gig built in... so it won't fall over if I add a couple of apps.

What does the team think?