How's your day?

It depends on the status of the work, planned or emergency etc. plus the time it takes for the council to respond to a 'Road Opening Notice'. (they have to be informed and give  permission before anyone can dig a hole) and whether some clerk can be arsed to tell you of course.

No cars should be trapped, they have hole/trench covers that allow cars to cross without problems.

Originally  part of the scheme was to make utility companies sync road openings and minimise disruption but it never really got of the ground

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

We used to get the letters of customers complaints passed onto us on the production floor after being dealt with, we’d then leave them in the tea bar to give the rest a good laugh :biggrin:

Only skim read it, far to long & monotonous, glad to see you’ve not stitched up the lads on the road, you never know they might have family, mortgages, final warnings etc to deal with :(

• Like 2

Some Good Newa for a change My grandson left school over a year ago, and with the situation as it was he was unable to get employment, so he went on a full time engineering course at college. He went for an apprenticeship in engineering  in May and he has been taken on.

There is one problem his brother his now his supervisor, and his responsible for his training.

My day seems to be starting well. Lovely sunshine, delicious breakfast and modest view.

Photos as usual didnt post correctly.

4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Only skim read it, far to long & monotonous, glad to see you’ve not stitched up the lads on the road, you never know they might have family, mortgages, final warnings etc to deal with 

Red, we know you don't like reading.. but it's a choice you have.  It may well be too long for your tastes but if you havent read it you really can't say whether it is monotonous or not.

As for 'the lads on the road'. I'm sure they can look out for themselves and I see no reason why being 'workers' makes them any less liable to 'stitching up', if they are in the wrong.  However.. in this case. the expression 'Lions led by Donkeys' comes to mind.

The lads were pleasant enough and a good laugh.. though as Brew points out above.. they should have been able to put a plate over the hole to avoid blocking my drive for days on end...  Maybe it was just easier for them to make my life difficult?

20210613-095232-Original.jpg

20210613-095254-Original.jpg

20210613-095312-Original.jpg

20210613-101747-Original.jpg

Pics for Nonna

• Like 1

Why can't I do that. Its easier for me to post from ipad but I never know how they will turn out. I have to use laptop but its not always updated as I dont use it much.. But thanks anyway for taking the time to correct what i did wrong.

I don't really know myself Nonna.  This time, the method I used last time wouldn't work for me.

Basically though, I right clicked on your link.  Chose option. 'open in new tab', which took me to Postimage and gave me the option to share your pics.

Maybe you are missing a step.

Very nice day today.......3 sons and one Grandaughter here for dinner..which was taken on the Garden.......Two sons just back from the South coast where they had been working...and regaled me with their exploits....made me jealous....

Grandaughter (21) off to Greece later in the week for an holiday before joining the RAF.........The other son told me his future plans..which involves buying a boat and sailing off to destinations unknown........all have so many plans and all are single...so the world is their Oyster.......lovely to have em all together........well nearly all of em........lol

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

My yesterday really. Sat and watched my granddaughter play cricket for Gedling in gorgeous sunshine. Gedling clawed back from a poor position with some really good bowling and drew with a much more experienced Ockbrook team. Great courage and determination, girls!

• Upvote 1

That's sad. When I was a child, my next door neighbour's granddaughter attended Ockbrook. Her parents lived in Uganda until they had to leave in a hurry. During school holidays, Rosemarie stayed with her grandma. She rarely saw her parents.

The granddaughter was a few years my senior but we had one ambition in common: to work on the biscuit counter in Woolworth!  Neither of us managed to achieve it! Sad :wacko:

• Like 1

Progress on my 'Hole in the Ground'.

Progress.
Two blokes just turned up in a huge wagon. They scooped up the contents of the hole.. filled it with some sort of aggregate, wackered it down to a depth measured with a measury thing, fitted a 'chamber' and lid over the stop cock, reduced the number of barriers from 5 to 4, brushed up a bit and left.

I'm now wondering whether the re-surfacing will be done by a single crew.. or whether it will involve one visit to deliver tarmac, one to put it in the hole, one to level/finish it and a final one to pour a bit of tar sealer around the join.... :laugh:
And my drive is still 50% blocked.

Two more blokes just turned up and seemingly finished repairing the hole which was blocking access to my drive.  However, they have left their barriers and signs in place, so access to my drive is STILL blocked ..for the sixth successive day.

I have fired off a second message to UU 'Feedback', despite not yet having a response from the first one.  If their barriers etc..are not gone by the end of today I will be calling them in full on Meldrew Mode to inform them that they can collect their hardware from the field at the bottom of the street.

Hooray!!!  Chap just turned up and collected signs and barrierws.  We can now use our own drive after 6 days.  And UU have still not responded to my complaints.  All of the workmen involved have agreed that UU are completely out of order in not bothering to warn me or communicate in any way.  I daresay they'd be communicating quickly enough if I missed a bill payment.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I daresay they'd be communicating quickly enough if I missed a bill payment.

Ah well you see sir that's anuvver department innit...   smile2

Innit just...:laugh:

Had a lovely day in the Garden........which is looking good...

Large lawn trimmed.......i didnt do it..only got a flymo so local man with petrol mower sorts it when needed..........

I can't dig anymore...so all my plants are in Pots...of which i now have nearly a hundred.......love moving em about...for different effect...looks like another garden when ive finished..

Syd and Babs always inspect when ive finished...and usually give approval by giving each Pot the once over...before having a good roll on the Lawn..(they are Cats btw)

Not quite the country garden pictured here......but it'll do for me....

• Like 4

How are Syd and Babs doing Ben? I trust they are settling down now. My Dad's name was Syd, God rest him.