How's your day?

Odd. RCs, in my experience, don't have much regard for non RC establishments.  Going back to school days, they weren't even permitted to join in assembly or attend the carol service. I always thought that rather harsh but that's the way it was.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Careful, you'll have Brew trying that now he's finally fallen off the wagon!

I have never drunk spirits or wine. In the fridge are two of the three bottles of beer I bought in the heat wave  just daring me to drink them. So far I'm manfully resisting them but come a really hot day who knows. There's every chance they will go the same way as the last incumbents and go out of date

15 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Sambuca con la mosca? DJ

But without the ice. Sorry.:victory:

15 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Is that the one you put a coffee bean in and set fire to?

I leave the flies out Nonna..

I also have a deeply held religious objection to paying good money out for alcoholic liquor and then burning off the alcohol.... :ohmy:

@philmayfield  Sambuca is usually around 36-40% alcohol by volume and therefore in the same league as most spirits when it comes to its power to inebriate. My present supply is Sambuca Luxardo, rated at 38%.  And I use a measure...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Brew said:

I have never drunk spirits or wine. In the fridge are two of the three bottles of beer I bought in the heat wave  just daring me to drink them. So far I'm manfully resisting them but come a really hot day who knows. There's every chance they will go the same way as the last incumbents and go out of date

That's where we differ Jim.  I have an adequate supply of bottled beer and always keep a few cooling in the fridge.  But, I do not drink alcohol in the heat of the day.  Even one small beer will have me quickly dozing off..which is never a good plan when pottering in  le jardin, or lounging in ray catching attire... :tanning:

15 hours ago, mary1947 said:

ps Fords are giving you £1,000 in exchange for a new/used car.

Kind of missing the point Mary.  I don't want a new car.  My Honda only has 72000 miles on it after 17 years and in all probability has another 70000 in it.  At my present mileage, I will be ready for scrapping before my car is... :wacko: There's very little wrong with it and it has cost me around £500 in spares/repairs in 9 years. I paid £4k for it.  So.. it has cost me well under £5000 to buy and run for 9 years.. (excluding insurance, road tax etc..) and has never let me down.

A quick look at leasing has a similar current Honda costing around £300 per month, plus an upfront payment of about £2k, plus fees and maintenance..which over 9 years works out at about ...£34700... :ohmy: and then you have to give it back...

Also.. if I was buying a new car.. Ford would be last on the list.. ;)

I went to my local Honda Dealer a couple of weeks ago looking for a couple of 'dealer only' spares. While I was there.. various staff were casting admiring glances at my car, I was told one even asked the spares dept manager what he thought I'd accept for it.  But the Mgr knew I was keeping it.  7th Generation Civic Hatchbacks ..esp the 2.0 litre Type S..are getting rare and collectable. ..

Which is nice...

On the downside.. I'm sure it used to be the case that cars became exempt from Road Tax once they were 25 years old.. but either I was wrong.. or it's changed.. because they now have to be 40 years old.  I can't see me still driving in 23 years time...

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Odd. RCs, in my experience, don't have much regard for non RC establishments.  Going back to school days, they weren't even permitted to join in assembly or attend the carol service. I always thought that rather harsh but that's the way it was.

A number of RCs at HP were excused assembly.  I never understood that. I was already sceptical about religion full stop, so I found it hard to see how one lot of avowed Christians, would not want to play with the other lot.

Lovely place Melissa enjoy your day...........I used to visit it a lot just for the 'Tarts''....:rolleyes:

I must have driven through Bakewell hundreds of times, as it is on the 'cross country' route from here to Nottm.  My car knows the way.  But, I think I've only ever wandered around the town once.. way back about 60+ years ago when I was in the Wolf Cubs.  The only other time I stopped was when my car died and I left it at the petrol station just beyond the roundabout on the left, as you head back towards Matlock etc. Next day a friend drove me down there and we towed it back. I later fitted a new engine.. as you do. While in Bakewell we had a decent lunch in the Manners Hotel.

Puddings vs Tarts
Many folk who visit Bakewell are curious to discover the difference between a Bakewell Pudding and a Bakewell Tart.

First thing, there is a big difference in the taste – even though they have similar ingredients;  pastry, jam and an almond topping.

Bake-Pud

Some folk will debate endlessly about the differences, but in simple terms we think that the Pudding is made using puff pastry, a layer of strawberry jam and topped with what is best described as thick almond custard (although it’s strictly speaking not a custard).  It’s best served warm with ice cream, cream, or custard.  Or all three!

A Bakewell Tart has a shortcrust pastry case, followed by strawberry jam and topped with almond sponge.

Bake-Tart

This means it’s much more cake-like and not nearly as sweet to taste as a Bakewell Pudding. Purists probably wouldn’t add icing to a Bakewell Tart, which does make it sweeter, but it’s just as delicious.

The only thing to do is try both and see which one you prefer!

(copy and paste!)

Self serve Japanese restaurant. Every now and again waiter comes round with various things on a skewer and carved it at the table. We have family from France who stayed for 3 days. Eating out for 3 evenings has left us feeling “flup” Diet or at least eating lighter before we go away for more meals out.

Today, for no other reason than boredom, my dearly beloved and I decided that a recipe on the BBC, granola with mixed fruit compote, looked A. easy B. inexpensive and C. most importantly, delicious.

Real cooks may want to stop reading here.

After printing the recipe set off the buy ingredients, forgot the list and only bought half of them but managed to came home with a new set of cutlery. Back for the rest of the ingredients and it's turning out to be an expensive recipe, her car need fuel and (just while we're out we may as well get) a new baking tray, and a grater, and a whisk, and a wooden spoon... Home and the kitchen scale needs a battery so to the shop again...

OK we're finally set. Carefully measure oats, rice pops, seeds, raisins, honey and the rest but at this point I should point out it's a good idea to make sure the scales stay on the same setting, do not mix ounces with milligrams!

The recipe said two egg whites, six eggs later we had them in the bowl and ready to go. Add the dry ingredients plus honey and whizz whizz whizz - why does it not look like it does on TV? Spoon on to the new baking try and...... it's too big for the oven, sigh, try again with an old one that fits

In the oven for thirty mins whilst making compote, No idea what a compote is but it don't half sound posh...

Ping! granola ready and we are supposed to add raisins and bake for another few minutes. It looked like concrete and just as hard, so hard in fact we couldn't get out of the tray so everything is now in the bin. We may not be sitting down to delicious healthy breakfast tomorrow and it's cost a small fortune but we've laughed like schoolkids all afternoon...Version two will be tomorrow

• Like 7

I went to a Japanese restaurant one lunch time in Sherwood. I ordered suki yaki. The bowl was brought to the table and the waiter proceeded to break a raw egg over it. It was at the time when the cabinet minister, Edwina Currie, had said that all eggs harboured salmonella. I sent it back! A similar thing happened in Paris years before. I ordered steak tartare. In my naivety I didn’t realise that was also served with a raw egg broken over it. I’ve always had an aversion to eggs and raw ones even more so!

Brew, you could always use that recipe to cast and bake your own paving slabs ! Any size available. I'm sure PP and DJ360 could find a use for them. And you've got the added attraction , if you fall over, you have summat nice to lick while waiting for the ambulance.

More power to yer wooden spoon mate.  thumbsup

Brew I've been wanting to make granola bars for a while but never seem to get round to it. I think my recipe puts everything in together and I'm sure i have all the ingredients.

Good you had a good laugh as it turned out , it could easily have been a disaster.

Just looked at recipe, all dry ingredients first then liquids. I think its one of the things you put in what you like. Next time?   ..........imsorry

• Like 1

I've just looked at the recipe and it does look nice. Are you going to try again? The nonstick baking tray,..... I don't trust them. Years ago I bought 3 deep cup cake tins from Lakeland, quite expensive but thought they'd last,and every time I used them they stuck. I ended up not using them or using the paper cup to line the tins. I use ordinary baking trays that came with my oven and use greaseproof paper or a non stick cake spray. I think sometimes when you see a recipe and think" I must make that but I haven't got .....or the wrong size or whatever" and Then I just use what I have and adjust the recipe to what I like as you did with the spices. Personally I love spices especially ginger and cinnamon. The other day I bought 2 huge pieces of fresh ginger and some apples to make a smoothie along with carrots. The ginger blocked the juicer as it was so stringy. Its a bit out of season but never thought ( as I usually do, to break a bit off to see if its stringy) however now I'm chopping it up and making " tea" with it.

Good luck with the Granola bars.