How's your day?

Quite agree RR, when gardening friends boast of growing veg, esp. tomatoes , I usually say something similar.

But this is not making granola bars. It's supposed to be like muesli or similar - breakfast in a bowl and there is nothing in Tesco that is quite the same.

Ignoring the time, trouble, expense and the mountain of washing up it was the best laugh we've had in ages and you can't get that in Aldi.  ;)

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Re tomatoes. Those grown in your greenhouse and eaten from the vine are far superior to the supermarket variety as indeed are all home grown fresh vegetables. However if you look at the cost of your time and effort then the supermarket gives the best monetary value. Will I ever recoup the cost of my rotovator? At least our greenhouses were free as gifts and inheritances.

Not quite as you say. It’s proposed to be up Park Lane near to the rugby club and Minster School. The site is well screened from the main road. I’ve seen the plans and I support the application. It’s a much needed facility in the area. Greggs and KFC are not included and it will only be a collection depot for Argos. It’s got to get past the planning committee first.

I use to have an allotment with a mate and we use to grow all types of fruit and veg also some flowers. The taste of this produce was far better than any thing from any shop. Was it cost effective not a chance, but the fun and enjoyment we had whilst chatting away with the other gardeners was well worth it , we spent more time chatting than working. I started gardening there in my late 20s and most of the others seemed to be ancient but the advice we received was invaluable. The stories they told us of what they had done in their life was amazing, most of them should have been locked up. 

Dj360

Please don't take it serious about buying a car it was only a comment.

• Like 1

Was due to go into QMC for opp on my capple tunnel (wrist) had a call 6 00 night before, now have to have it done  at the City hospital. I| could not praise the staff enough. Very organized, gave you a good check over,  did a covi test and more. After opp was taken  back to my room, then the nurse came over ask if i would like a cup of tea and a sandwhich.  Nothing was to much trouble for them.. 

Boris take note and give the NHS staff a nice big rise.

They sre worth every £ they get.

• Like 6

Having driven bangers in my teens & up on till my 40s, I think once you shell out on a new car you can never go back to a jalopy, treat yourself, lives far to short for MOTs & new tyres, you’ll  even feel & look better sat behind a decent reg number plate. 

Been driving a brand new Ford transit courier van It’s a joy to be @ work. 

• Like 1

I've owned numerous new cars. They aren't that special and lose you a fortune.

Also there's a big difference between a 'bangers or 'jalopy.. and a collectable classic.

Got my new car three weeks ago. I've done a whole 72 miles in it and bin out 4 times. Life in the fast lane eh !

At least there's no full Ash tray. Come to think of it, there isn't an Ash tray. Part of my reg number looks like NG2.

Beekay has you new car got !

"Trotter's Indpendent Trading company"

writting on the side???

if so 

"We know where it's come from.

:faint:

Thats no banger Col , it looks smart and a 2.0 its a mover, you made the right choice buy a decent car ,look after it and keep it, it makes good financial sense.  I have at last made my mind up to keep this one and not waste any more money buying new ones, there is too many buttons, switches and voices and buzzers telling me info I dont need on cars made now. 

• Like 1

Mary1947, Trotters vehicle was not a car but a van and no, there's no writing on the side apart from underneath, where it says Lesney and "Other side up".

Ian Finn, I'll pm you with my details. I'm not having this lot extract the urine for my change of vehicle.  thumbsup

Not all gadgets and gizmos are beneficial, though.

I can use any control on my car without taking my eyes off the road ahead. Contrast that with something like a Tesla, where just about everything is controlled from a touch screen in the middle of the dashboard and you need to look at it to see what you’re doing, even activating the wipers or changing the heater settings.

And then there’s keyless entry, where you have to hide the key in a metal box at home or risk the car being nicked off your drive. Although that’s done wonders for sales of Krookloks!

I certainly agree that touch screens are potentially dangerous as you have to take your eyes off the road. Even satnav is dangerous for the same reason. As for keys, I keep mine in a Faraday pouch. Some useful things are tyre pressure sensors, auto screen wipers, auto headlights, voice control of certain functions, cruise control and speed limiters, automatic transmission (obviously!), air conditioning, electric seats etc. A lot of these ‘extras’ used to be in the more upmarket cars but I’ve noticed, whilst looking for a car for our daughter, that even the relatively modest small cars are loaded with gadgets. Most of these are electronic so it’s now relatively cheap to include them in the specification.

I hate Tesla’s. I’ll only think about going electric when I can get a 500 mile range. I’ve no wish, on a 360 mile round trip, which I do regularly, to look for a charging point and wait for 30 minutes when I can be pressing on with the journey.

Oi Philmayfield! ! I'll have you know I'm only 77 and no, it's not a Micra, (although I had one in 2006, but couldn't get on with a 2 door.

Didn't realise they made 4 door models. Decent little runner though.)

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

70,000 miles is nothing for a modern car. Mileages of 200,000 are achievable with regular oil changes and servicing. If you do keep a car for a long time you do miss out on all the innovations in goodies and gizmos though.

Yep.. mine had 30k miles on it when I bought it from my brother in 2012.  He'd had it from new .. regularly serviced and with more oil changes than recommended.  I've taken it to 72000 in the last 8 years. New calipers all around as they were getting a bit sticky. It's a known issue with the Honda but can affect any car.  Apart from an exhaust and the usual 'consumables' that's it.

The Civic isn't over equipped with gadgets, but does have cruise control, air-con, remote/heated mirrors etc... and a rather good stereo.

Also, with the 2.0L iVTEC motor giving an 'adequate' 160 bhp.. it is quick enough to frighten the horses...:biggrin:

Basically, it just works... and as I explained to Mary above.. it has cost me less than £5k (including purchase) in 12 years apart from tax..insurance etc.  I'd lose that in six months on any new car.  I could buy a new car today but I see no point.

It's also not often realised that a lot of the 'goodies and gizmos' on newer cars are actually very cheap to make.. being just based around cheap computer chips and touch screens. Much like a Tablet.. and they can be had for not much.  I'd sooner see that money spent on better safety, durability and general build quality.

The last new car I bought, in 2006, was a FIAT Grande Punto 'Sporting'.. in red.  It was a very pretty car, and had lots of gadgets such as USB ports, phone connectivity for hands free, 'hill hold', 'speed beep' and other stuff that a competent driver doesn't need.  I passed it on to my daughter around 2012 and it was written off a year or so later when she was rear ended and bounced into the car in front, whilst stationary at lights.  A quick search on the Govt web site shows it is still registered, MOT'd until next year, on about 130k miles and seemingly held together with string.  How that can be legal beats me but..

RE 'SatNav'  On the rare occasion I need it.. I set it up on Google Maps on my phone, leave it on the passenger seat and just listen to the instructions.  No need to look at it.

My daughter used to live in flats very close to the centre of Manchester. I was able to park in the underground car park, but only if she came down to let me in. Waiting wasn't an option.  So.. I would set up a text saying '5 mins' before setting off from home.. then when I was (inevitably) stopped at lights somewhere along by Salford Uni.. I would just press the 'send' button and that way she would be waiting to let me in.