• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

So, for all your ridicule, you're only 2 months behind me.

Ignore Col, he's just jealous cos' he's not an old fart. But then again, we have to endure young upstarts.  :Friends:

• Like 1

I’ve turned down the invitation to our village monthly coffee morning today. The first after lockdown. No way do I want to spend two hours in the village hall chatting with a bunch of old farts. I may be 78 in body but not in mind!

Good, valid point Monseiur. Our community centre is restarting 'Bingo' next week but I don't quite know if I'm ready for that much excitement. Think I might nip down to Lewes and watch the traffic light change. That's if my parole officer let's me out.

Nissan Micra, that was my old car which is being handed down to our 18 yr old grandson. Until he gets his license we still use it. It’s a four door and I loved it. My new car , now old is a Mitsubishi We don’t need a “ posh car” to have the roads here ruin it. As long as it goes from A to Z thats all I’m concerned with. I’m not interested in makes of cars and can’t now distinguish one from another. This car suits me, I had Bluetooth installed when I bought it and as far as I know there are no other “extras”. Shows you what I know about cars. Anyway posh cars get you where you want to go and that’s all that matters.

I don't know about anyone else, but when the media speaks of the elderly,  old age pensioners or senior citizens,  I am not thinking they mean me!

• Like 9

My car has so many gizmos 'to aid the driver' it's actually dangerous to use them unless stationary. The climate control is one example, it's a nightmare to operate and can take several minutes of faffing about to get it how you want.

• Like 1

MB have gone down the digital route for manuals. My last car had one similar in thickness to a Littlewoods catalogue. This one is like an average paperback. It only gives a brief outline before referring  you  to the digital version on the hard drive..

• Like 1

Used to be a rite of passage that, on buying a car, I also bought a Haynes manual for it.

Those days are long gone as modern cars are far too complicated for me to consider anything but the most basic of maintenance (fluids and filters). Hence why my plug spanner and feeler gauges are enjoying a happy retirement in the old toolbox.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The only time I open my bonnet to to check the washer fluid and thats not very often.   Recently I have been sorting out in my garage I have a set of imperial sized spanners and sockets I cannot remember the last time I used them but I could never dispose of them.  I brought metric sets of them but I have never used them on my car. Gone are the days of laying under the car to put a new clutch in and other tasks.

I used to enjoy working on my cars. I learnt a lot and accumulated loads of tools. I can check most of the 'checkable' things on my current car from my smartphone but it takes the fun away. In the past I've built a Caterham 7 from a kit and totally stripped and rebuilt a Morgan. I'm always looking for a new project. I think I've found one today in that an enormous branch on a big weeping willow in our orchard has snapped. Do I call the tree surgeon or can this be a DIY job? I have all the kit. 

RR I think you are younger than the generation that loved messing about with cars and engines in their youth.

40 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

When I got in my car (Audi S3) today the radio came on without even putting the ignition key in.  This can’t be normal …… ?  

Not in this universe Lizzie....     ;)

• Upvote 1