How's your day?

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Well I drive the perfect car for my purpose and don't regard it as a banger at all. 2004 X Trail. I can afford a posh new car but grew out of that silliness years ago. :biggrin:

Horses for courses PP. Some people, mentioning no names, are happy to keep a decent but aged car and  reluctant to spend money on a new replacement. They will however happily give a kings ransom for a new needle on the gramophone ;).

Some people I could mention like to labour away making an apple flavoured drink that Tesco sell by the gallon for a fraction of the price...  thumbsup

I'll not labour the point by mentioning football supporters and the price of a season ticket..

From a purely financial perspective I'm mad to spend the money I do on motors, herself keeps telling me so. But with inflation outstripping interest rates the value of our bank balance is gently sliding downhill so why hold on? why not enjoy it if that's what you like to do...

Note that at the end of the day it all comes down to money and  what returns people want from it - it's not always a tangible benefit

Yer spends yer money n teks yer pick!   :P

• Like 6
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Yer shoulda bin a Fillissofer Brewster. Orr perhaps, a Guru.

I salute thee o wise one. :clapping:

9 hours ago, Brew said:

MB have gone down the digital route for manuals. My last car had one similar in thickness to a Littlewoods catalogue. This one is like an average paperback. It only gives a brief outline before referring  you  to the digital version on the hard drive..

It's a 'thing' with all sorts of kit these days.  a few years ago I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ200 camera.  The 'get you started' guide that came with it runs to about 20 pages.  The online manual is a PDF of over 200 pages.  Despite havng a reasonable working knowledge of the basics of photography.. I despair of ever understanding the menu structure of the camera..

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Some people, mentioning no names, are happy to keep a decent but aged car and  reluctant to spend money on a new replacement. They will however happily give a kings ransom for a new needle on the gramophone ;).

How very dare you?  :biggrin:

Thing is you are sort of right.  I'm not wealthy and numerous factors led to me not ending up with a big stash of cash.  So.. if I want to spend £800+ (with trade in) on a cartridge.. (not just a needle) worthy of the rest of my poncy hi fi system..  I have to save it elsewhere.  The other point is of course that my elderly car is working perfectly and every day it continues to do so is another day I'm not shelling out for a new one... so my savings increase.  There is a very good chance that my car will outlive me.. and it is also becoming increasingly collectable.  It often attracts admiring glances from those who know their cars.

And of course your 'horses for courses' comment is also exactly right.  I dare say it costs very much more per year to properly follow a Premier League footie team.. than I spend on hi-fi.  Yet many people seem to struggle with the concept of paying a few £k for a nice 'stereo'.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

R I think you are younger than the generation that loved messing about with cars and engines in their youth.

MargieH, for me  it was a "had to do" as I could never afford to get a garage to do the work for me and yes I had a Haynes Workshop Manual for it which I still have somewhere.

8 hours ago, Rob.L said:

I also bought a Haynes manual for it.

• Upvote 1

Enjoy the old car DJ it will be worth more as time goes i kept a 1980 ford fairmont for 23years it was my daily driver when i did sell it i got 30 percent of what i paid for it but i did baby it.

2 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Well I drive the perfect car for my purpose and don't regard it as a banger at all. 2004 X Trail. I can afford a posh new car but grew out of that silliness years ago. :biggrin:

I wish my husband would grow out of that silliness PP.  He buys a ‘posh car’ every couple of years, usually a 6 month old one, but if that’s how he wants to spend our hard-earned money rather than the tax man having it when we’re gone then it’s OK with me.  Our kids will be fine and even now they don’t think twice about having the best of everything they want.  How times have changed, I wouldn’t even consider buying our children’s clothes from M&S 40 years ago. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

MargieH, for me  it was a "had to do" as I could never afford to get a garage to do the work for me and yes I had a Haynes Workshop Manual for it which I still have somewhere.

Same here.  Sometimes, working on the car was a rewarding learning experience.. or just a plain 'victory'... if you sorted something a garage would charge you a week's wages to do.  Other times it was a chore and a frustration.. such as coming home after a day's work with a broken exhaust... knowing you couldn't afford to get it fixed until whenever... but still needing the car..  At that poont.. baked bean tins, bits of wire etc.. were wrestled with under the car in the dark.. the rain

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, MargieH said:

RR I think you are younger than the generation that loved messing about with cars and engines in their youth.

No, far from it, Mini Vans, Vauxhall Vivas, Cortinas, floor panels, A panels, starter motors, gearboxes, plugs, points, tubs of Isopon P40, hours in Podders finding bits, scars of backs of my hands I can still see & don't mention scooters & pushbikes, been there & done :Shock: 

6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I dare say it costs very much more per year to properly follow a Premier League footie team.

Below the belt DJ what's up with the Championship?

Boots on, stashing some dosh for my next London awayday, I'm thinking matching Fred Perry & trainers. U-REDS!

Having mentioned the silliness of buying posh new cars - I did buy a fishing rod which I rarely use for £700. I like using the one that cost £52 better :rolleyes: ...suppose I'm just a cheapjack....

As for cider - it is just not possible to purchase proper cider from a shop or supermarket. The stuff is an alcopop with a trace of apple juice plus preservatives. Tastes awful. Mine is 100% juice with no additives.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

It's a 'thing' with all sorts of kit these days.  a few years ago I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ200 camera.    The online manual is a PDF of over 200 pages.  

I've often found that when you get a manual with an item, it could be a fairly large book of around 100 pages......but it will be the same thing in 25 different languages. The english part only occupies a couple of pages.

• Like 2

Dealers would rather sell on an HP deal or PCP. They talked me into buying my previous car and my wife’s current car on HP. I negotiated substantial discounts for cash but they still wanted me to do it on finance. Three years of no interest finance!

14 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Enjoy the old car DJ it will be worth more as time goes i kept a 1980 ford fairmont for 23years it was my daily driver when i did sell it i got 30 percent of what i paid for it but i did baby it.

About like my 98 Crown Vic.  160,000 miles and runs like new.  I was at Wal Mart one day and an old guy came over and asked if I wanted to sell it.  Not a chance.  It will probably be the last car I ever own.  Certainly been one of the best.  Always maintained it myself.

• Like 1

Yes those Crown Vics and the Mercury Marquis were both very durable cars some of those engines had the variable venturi carburetor which caused some problems. The father in law had a 77 Grand Marquis with the 460 cu. in engine and a 4bbl carb it was a huge car but it just floated down the highway, fuel consumption well that is another story.

No carb on mine, fuel injected v8. Gets around 35Km per gal.  Sorry for the imperial/decimal mix.  USA still sells gas by the gallon.  Bought the car in Edmonton so speedo is in Kms.

Every day we are converting between imperial and metric especially when ordering anything from the USA also when converting money exchange beween Canada and the USA as we usually go to Florida in the winter. What part of Georgia do you live in?

Last time I looked, a US gallon was different to a UK gallon.. so even that comparison is a bit awkward.  I still think of fuel in gallons though I buy it in litres.  Pretty much 4.55 litres per (UK) gallon I think. And my middle aged car (Which is definitely NOT a banger or jalopy..) shows fuel consumption in MPG.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/us-liquid-gallons-to-uk-gallons.htm

Ian... out in the country about 60 miles east of Atlanta.  That's close enough to Atlanta for me.

Phil....Not bad gas mileage for it's size.  A US gallon is around $2.75, but as DJ says it is a fraction smaller than an imperial gallon.

To convert Miles per U.S gallon to Miles per U.K (Imperial) Gallon multiply the miles (or km) by 1.2

That'l mean the 35km per U.S gallon comes out at 26 miles per U.K gallon.

How do I know,, because I own a LHD U.S car with the fuel computer calibrated for U.S gallons, so check mine occassionally.

I get 28miles per U.K gallon on journeys of 50 to 60 miles each way in my 2014 car so 26mpg (u.k) is good in a 1998 Crown Vic.

I don't use mine for short journeys.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Having mentioned the silliness of buying posh new cars - I did buy a fishing rod which I rarely use for £700. I like using the one that cost £52 better :rolleyes: ...suppose I'm just a cheapjack....

As for cider - it is just not possible to purchase proper cider from a shop or supermarket. The stuff is an alcopop with a trace of apple juice plus preservatives. Tastes awful. Mine is 100% juice with no additives.

Yes PP youre right about juice from supermarkets and that includes cider. I love drinking juice in the mornings and dont like supermarket brands so I juice my own. I know what goes into it and I can select what I put into it. Much better and healthier. 

Around £2 a gallon, even if it is smaller than ours is a bargain. The average price here at the moment is heading towards £6...

• Like 1

I was awoken by Mrs C yesterday morning with breakfast in bed.

Asking her what she had broken or what she was after she said nothing apart giving me a kiss on the cheek.

After breakfast she kissed me again & whispered in my Tab.

Happy birthday Catfan. !

Women. Don't you just love em !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2