• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I suspect you might have shares in Gt.Yarmouth.

Don't forget me Diabetic Candy Floss! Have a great time both of you. B.

• Like 1

Kind and Generous? My neighbour who originates from Greenock, well, he found a pair of crutches...so he broke his leg. :blink:

• Like 1

Well what can one say? 

I hope he never finds a funeral hearse.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Beekay said:

Talking of knees Col, my neighbour has recently had a knee replacement on her right knee, the whole works, ball and socket!

Yep.. that's what I'm getting on the right knee.. though I don't know when.  It's not quite a ball and socket and the more I read about the knee joint the more complicated it looks.  But a surgeon I spoke to a few weeks back said:  "We cut the front of your knee open.. top to bottom.  Then we shove your knee cap to one side.. cut off the end of the femur (thigh bone) and fibula (main leg bone) , glue new ends on both.. put a plastic pad between the two , put your knee cap back in place and sew you back up."

Seems fair enough to me... :wacko:

And yes.. a lot of people have told me that following advice and physio etc., after.. is essential.

I'll do whatever it takes to get back to being able to walk again.  I cannot believe how things have deteriorated in a few months.

As for the other knee.. I'll just have to see what the surgeon advises.

In other news.  My Tomatoes, Green Beans, Radishes, Beetroot, Cucumbers, Spuds and Kale are all coming along nicely. :)

I may branch out next year and try more exotic stuff.  I'm also thinking of giving over part of my lawn to a raised veggie bed.

As that cantankerous old sod Churchill said:  'Keep buggering on...'

6 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

And yes.. a lot of people have told me that following advice and physio etc., after.. is essential.

I'll do whatever it takes to get back to being able to walk again.  

Absolutely essential to do just as you’re instructed Col.  My husband had a total knee replacement a few years ago.  He did the physio and was supplied with an ice contraption that he wrapped around his knee several times a day to reduce the swelling and help the healing process.  He recovered really well and clocks up at least 4-5 miles a day, bit of an obsession really but thankfully he doesn’t expect me to walk every day with him.  A knee replacement is far more complicated than hip replacement.  My Dad had both operations but wasn’t strict enough with his physio (he’d got nobody encouraging him) and neither operations were a great success.  

• Like 1

Best of luck to you Col. My neighbour is very proud of her 'war wound.' The staff had her standing the same day (morning op) and walking the day after. I think she was in hospital about 4 days and when she came home she couldn't wait to show me the scar and staples. That was at the front, top to bottom. She doing marvellously now.

My missus said to me, "That's the only other woman's leg you're going to look at sunshine"!

• Like 1

@DJ360  I liked the surgeon’s description of the knee op, but just one point …. It’s the tibia, not the fibula which is the main lower leg bone!   But as long as the surgeon is competent (he will be) and you follow all his instructions for aftercare, I feel sure you will then thankfully be pain free and able to walk wherever you choose and for however long you want.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

. It’s the tibia,

Capt. Mainwaring:  " Well done Wilson.. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to spot that..." 

You are of course correct Margie.  It wasn't me.. I was confused by the painkillers...:blush:

• Like 1

I had my left knee replacement 3 years ago. Good result, no pain following the operation or during physio. It straightened the slightly bowed out leg profile and makes the other leg look worse.

I could probably walk a greater distance than 200mts I could manage before the op, however, my other worn out knee joint makes walking distance restrictive. 

• Like 1

My neighbour had both knees done. She is a former Theatre Sister who has lots of contacts ..

She was all set to have one done, but told them at the last minute that she would not be able to use the other after the op as it was so bad.. so they reversed the order of the ops.

She was also havng the op whilst still fairly conscious, but asked them to 'put her under' part way through. She told me it wasn't pain.. but the noise and vibration were really getting to her.

When it comes to my turn.. the less I know about it the better.

• Upvote 1

Interesting stuff Alpha. I am noticeably bow legged now..

As for distance.  I cannot walk any distance at all without pain and am often in pain at rest, and in bed.  However.. if I ignore the pain, I can manage about 15 minutes walking on the flat..though much slower than I'd like. If I walk away from my starting point for 15 minutes.. it takes me about 25 minutes for the return, by which time I'm really smarting.

What shocks me is how fast this has all come on. Some years ago I could easily do 15-20 miles in a day. In the last couple of years I had a target of 6000 steps, which was not difficult and I had no pain at rest.  In less than six months  it's come to this.

DJ360,

I had full anaesthetic, out like a light. The following morning I was up walking with a Zimmer frame then onto elbow crutches. I think I can manage general mobility without my other knee being replaced but I'm now reconsidering it. That is, if I can get another appointment.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I knew a bloke who had a leg amputated under local anesthetic because of his dicky heart. 

All went well he said & never felt a thing. Worse part he said was hearing his leg being dawn off.  !!

You might have known him BK from your Bilborough days on NCT.

His name was Ken Henley. Real nice bloke.

Catfan, in my nursing days, a leg was often amputated if there was a severely blocked (usually femoral) artery.  You and Paul know about that!  It was before stents were invented.  The condition was/is called intermittent claudication and it presents as acute pain in the lower leg and foot after exercise because there is insufficient blood getting to the muscles there.  Peripheral arteries usually try and take over from the blocked main femoral artery but often that isn’t sufficient to alleviate the pain.  Sometimes the toes may even become gangrenous because of insufficient blood supply.

I remember one particular patient who had bilateral amputations and his name was …… wait for it …….

Arthur Shufflebottom.  THIS IS TRUE!

• Like 2