How's your day?

I have found the receipts for City of Nottingham Cemetery Fees:

Interment fee reopening an existing grave, in 1947 when grandma died,  £3 5s. Minister's fee 5s

In 1965, when grandad died, interment fee, opening an existing grave £9 15s. Minister's fee £1

Shocking how prices had gone up in 18 years.  I wonder what that would cost today?

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

When my grandfather died in 1963 he was buried at Wilford Hill Crematorium. I have the receipt for the work involved.

Purchase of Right of Burial......£6/6/-

Deed of Grant......5/-

Internment Fee.....£5/10/-

Total Corporation Fees.....£12/1/-

Minister's Fee.....£1

Total Fees Paid.....£13/1/-

Baptist Ministers’ Fees vary for officiating at a funeral or a ‘Thanksgiving service for the person’s life.’  I don’t know about other denominations.

Often, if the person was a member of the local church fellowship, then there is no charge but generally the charge would certainly be over £16!

In our previous village, Paul

was an unpaid Pastoral Assistant in the Baptist Church and when the minister died, he (Paul) carried on in this role (now being paid a little for his expenses) leading most of the Sunday services as well as pastoral visiting, Believers’ Baptisms, one wedding and well over 20 funerals.  Many people used to ask him that when their time came, could he please conduct their funeral!!!

As far as I can remember, he rarely charged the relatives anything.  
To ‘do’ a good funeral which is designed specifically for the deceased and their relatives takes a lot of time - making notes on their life given by the relatives, and also giving them support, composing a suitable ‘address’  as well as liaising with the Funeral Directors, organist and/or music group.  Often there would be the service in church followed by the committal at the graveside or Crematorium.  
I know there was several hours’ work involved ….

3 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Sure hope you did not have to pay for the meal on the plane nonna.

Oh yes, you don’t get anything free on flights. I would have been happy with a sandwich but they’d run out and the pot noodles were the only thing available. I could only eat a little so my grandson finished it off. What a come down after lunch. We spent the whole 5 days eating fish and that was the best on the last day. Fish like that we can only dream of here in Piemonte.

Just had my almost daily bike ride.........normally only about a mile...but today think i doubled it......its all part of my attempting to get back to a degree of fitness.....after my illness and hospitalisation last year.......

At that time i also lost a lot of weight..........i was down to nine and a half stone.....after always being for many years between 12 and thirteen.........even my 'Bobby Moores'' had gone thin.........Anyway decided to weigh myself this morning ..kept putting it off didn't want to be disappointed.......felt i had gained some weight.....but not as much as it turned out...........pleased to say i'm up to my 12 stone target......feeling really good........even my 'Bobby's' are back......might make a comeback......lol.........nice to tell someone.....

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

........even my 'Bobby Moores'' had gone thin........

I've honestly never heard that before and don't know which part of the anatomy you're referring to.

If it's embarrassing, just give me a clue.

• Like 1

What a day. Market day and was back home before 9am. Bought 20 kg peppers, 6 kg plums, 3 kg apricots and 2 kg peaches. Roasted and froze 10 kg peppers, plums can wait a few days they are a bit underipe, apricots in dehydrator and peaches think we'll eat them. Still another 10 kg of peppers to do tomorrow. Preserve them with tuna, tomatoes and olives.

Sat outside a minute or two to eat an icecream and got bitten 3 times on my arm. I seem to be a magnet for mosquitoes.

Got a pile of ironing to do but it will have to wait, I'm tired.

• Like 1

Just to top it up I tried to go,onto FB. I dont use it often but I was informed that someone had tried to get into my acc. I couldnt log in and all my pw werent accepted. Now trying to get into it to delete it altogether. Tried to open a new acc and then delete but even doing that wont give me access. Pw  error etc. Shall have to get this scam deleted tomorrow at a phone shop. Just when I could do,without the hassle. Beware everyone.

Yet another example why I won't use F.B. This is the only social media I use (apart from e-mails, does that count?)

Talk to my cousin on Viber, but that's just one to one.

• Like 1

I actually wanted to eliminate it altogether. Half “ friends” I don’t actually know . The other half think they know me. Friends pop up all the time and I don’t even accept their request but somehow they become “ friends). Enough , I choose my friends and most haven’t even got FB.

Nonna, I’m one of your Facebook friends but my name is a bit different from the one on here - is that why you don’t recognise some of your fb friends?

• Like 1

No Margie, I know you and all NS friends even though their names differ on FB and NS. Its the so called friends who think its great to havehundreds of friends and dont know half of them. Its the ones that crop up asking for friendship and I havent a clue who they are. As I said I dont use it a lot but I do read whats on sometimes. If all NS's read this post, I no longer have FB account. I joined it firstly to keep in touch with cousins in UK and Australia and a penfriend of more than 50 yrs. I am in touch with via emails and facetime and whattsapp so its just a matter of letting them know.

I did think that I had been scammed but the technician who looked at my phone said that FB doesnt send all these messages, its a computer and because it wouldnt accept my PW trying so much managed to muck it up. Anyway we still see NS and I enjoy that more than FB.